Spherize Skin created by Versis a.k.a Lance. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Asexual Lesbians. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Asexuality flag, Discussions of
Orianna
Posted: Jul 7 2010, 03:54 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

I hope this is ok to say... I'm not trying to poach members by URL dropping, just because it is something people should know.

For people who are not on the Asexual Visibility and Education Network (or who are and haven't noticed), discussion has begun about whether or not to have an Asexuality flag, and if yes, what it will look like. One of the main points raised is that AVEN cannot have the sole say in this, so we are trying to reach as many asexuals as possible to participate in the discussion.

For those of you with AVEN accounts, the thread is:
http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?sho...0&#entry1577661

For those without, I don't know if you can view the thread(s) as a guest or not. If not, basically the discussion is about
1) the pros and cons of having a flag
2) the colour scheme (AVEN currently favours purple, black, grey and white*)
3) if we include any symbols on it (such as the AVEN triangle- my objection to this being that it is the AVEN triangle, not a general asexual symbol)
4) the symbolism of the flag as a whole. That is to say, carefully considering the design, the placement of the colours, the general message etc rather than picking something out of thin air because it looks good.

I say "thread(s)" because this is the third in the succession. The first was quick off the mark asking for submissions of designs, and the second was the one that got the heavy arguments and discussion and culminated in the making of the third thread to satisfy some of the objection raised in the second. Maybe they will be worth reading too- they are linked at the top of the OP's post.

I can copy and paste your answers in this thread onto that thread if you have things you want to say.

* the reasoning behind this is that purple = community (the AVEN boards are usually purple but the skin is down for repairs at the moment. Purple has become more widely used as our colour now- we use it at Pride marches), black = absense of colour = absense of sexual attraction, grey = grey-A = the midpoint between sexuality and asexuality (and we have many of those people on AVEN and they often feel they associate more with us than with sexuality) and white = sexual allies. The black to white is also to do with the AVEN triangle, which is a gradient from white at the top (which represents the Kinsey Scale = sexuality) to the black point at the bottom (representing Kinsey's Group X = asexuality)
cijay
Posted: Jul 13 2010, 06:24 AM

Mentally confused & prone to wandering.

Member No.: 4

Actually, one of the reasons I distanced myself from AVEN is the things like this. People objecting over little things like "whose triangle it is".
Hermathena
Posted: Oct 22 2010, 03:14 AM

Member No.: 432

I use the asexuality flag in my personal blog.
I am 100 percent pro regarding the symbolism behind this flag.
Truth is that aesthetically I hate it.
Maybe a black triangle in a purple-gray-white fond would be more of my liking. Still those colours are just not appealing to me.
Black-Brown-Sugar White, I would love as colours for our flag but no just stripes having some shapes (like circles or triangles or ellipse) would be better I think.

flutter
Posted: Nov 10 2010, 04:00 AM

Member No.: 440

Purple means community now? All these years I thought it meant bisexual . .. at least that's the way it was used in the marches I used to attend: pink triangle = gay, black triangle = lesbian, purple triangle (or pink triangle and blue triangle overlapping to create a purple triangle between them) = bisexual.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3021 seconds | Archive