Spherize Skin created by Versis a.k.a Lance. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Asexual Lesbians. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

chat?
JustMe
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 07:14 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 520

Do members of AL ever get together (in the virtual sense) and chat online? It would be nice to talk in real time sometimes as opposed to just posting messages. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a message board, but it would be nice to chat sometimes too.
Ninepige
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 12:23 PM

Member No.: 521

Hi!

I totally agree with you! Chatting here would be great!
KR
Bee Happy
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 02:37 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 438

That's a great idea. I guess we would have to organise it somehow? ..as we live all over the world, so there's time differences... I'm sure it could work though
cdrdash
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 03:30 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

I'm not a good chatterer. I have tried to chat on AVEN but find that I get bored with what they are talking about and no one seems interested in what I chat about. I often feel like I'm chatting with myself. I would be willing to try an asexual lesbian chat though if someone organizes it.
JustMe
Posted: Oct 24 2011, 05:43 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 520

QUOTE (cdrdash @ Oct 22 2011, 03:30 PM)
I'm not a good chatterer. I have tried to chat on AVEN but find that I get bored with what they are talking about and no one seems interested in what I chat about. I often feel like I'm chatting with myself. I would be willing to try an asexual lesbian chat though if someone organizes it.

Yeah, I've tried chatting at AVEN and had similar problems. Usually the vast majority of people chatting are much younger than I am, and most of the discussion is, honestly, just silly. I did meet some nice people there, but the discussions just didn't really fit what I was looking for usually.
Carsonspire
Posted: Oct 28 2011, 12:00 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3

I'd be interested in this as well. Great suggestion.

The board service we currently use doesn't have an option for chat (as far as I know), so we would need to organize something on our own. Do any of you know any free online chatroom services? I know at least a few of us have Yahoo -- does Yahoo allow more than two people to chat at a time?

~Carsonspire
sj39
  Posted: Nov 29 2011, 10:55 PM

Member No.: 530

:rolleyes:
I think chatting is a great idea. Its so easy (and interesting) just to read stuff on the forums
but not many people appear to post replies. I myself am a bit shy about posting stuff for everyone to read but having a chat online would be great - just a few people who are keen to interact.
I propose - a chat room for 'mature' AL members as a starting point.. or is that elitist/agestist?!

Did anyone find any information on a means chatting?

sj
sj39
Posted: Nov 29 2011, 11:12 PM

Member No.: 530

:unsure:
After a quick search online - the 'easiest' options to chat online might be using
googletalk if everyone had an gmail account (but this is limited to PCs and I am a Mac user) or by creating a group on facebook - but thats a bit public i think?

Any thoughts? Any geeky ALs out here?

Anyone used any of the ones mentions here?
http://im.about.com/od/joiningtheimworld/t...-Private-Chat-R

SJ39
cijay
Posted: Dec 1 2011, 03:37 PM

Mentally confused & prone to wandering.

Member No.: 4

I only do well chatting one on one. Anything else...you end up seeing answers all out of order

Person one: What is everyone eating for supper tonight?
Person two: Did anyone see any movies?
Person three: Steak
Person four: No, I'm going out this weekend
Person four: Puss 'n Boots
Person one: Do your homework
Person three: I'm so bored what should I do.
Person four: Not sure, I'll see when I get home and look in the fridge.
dawn2dusk
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 04:21 AM

Member No.: 554

I am new here, and I have to agree. I am over 40, and while most of the chatters are nice enough, they are rarely over 20 years old, and I just can't relate to their interests or topics of conversation.

has anything been set up in this regard? If not, I know a free chat site that might work (it's fallen into disuse, but is fully functional).

thanks,
Ace
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 02:26 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There's a thing called a "shoutbox" that's kind of like a chat...it usually stays on the main page so there's no need to link it or whatever. The thing is with that is I'd have to convert the forum since Invisionfree's not compatible, but that really shouldn't change anything except for the skin/background that might end up not working anymore and it's irreversible..

If you guys would like to give it a try I'd be willing to change it.
Kit
Posted: Nov 26 2012, 12:55 AM

Member No.: 648

There is a near completely unused Asexual IRC Channel that we could use to get started actually there are two ACE channels.

I'm getting ahead of myself here. IRC is the first chat technology invented. It has no commercials of any kind and while there are some young people that use it the majority of users are within ten years plus or minus my age (55). There is no software or email accounts that need be registared.

#reddit-asexuality
The name of the asexual channel currently running on the freenode network. freenode was founded in 1995 and is the largest free IRC network of it's kind in the world. #reddit-asexuality is the offspring of the asexual forum on the reddit.com information hub. I found it while looking for lesbian asexual forums or chat rooms on the web. I found them first and started using it first because I was already on freenode where their channel (chat room) is located. There are usually only 4 or 5 people logged into the channel and several days can go by without anyone saying a word.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Asexuality

AVEN has a channel (#AVEN) registered on freenote but I've been logged into it 24/7 for about two months without seeing a single living soul log in.

It would be great for us to create a home channel on freenode for ace lesbians but the last time I asked about registering a new group I got this: "No new group registrations will be accepted from this point onwards, until further notice."

By the way, when using IRC you are completely anonymous. A really smart cookie may get lucky and figure out what country or even what part of the country you are connecting from but that would be about it. You could be a talking cat and nobody would ever know. If any of you actually are talking cats please get intouch with me. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

If no one is thrilled with the prospect of taking over someone else's ACE channel we always have the relatively simple option of creating our own new channel on any of the hundreds of IRC networks around the world. I personally spend a lot of time on the freenode network because it has a long history of catering to very intelligent, well educated people while also being friendly to LGBTQA people. However there are many other networks that could make good homes.

There is also a web browser based application that supports IRC, Yahoo Messenger, and Twitter. Its called Mibbit and is simple to use, will connect to any IRC network, is free but is a very commercial tool.
Mibbit

My home channel on freenode (where I spend a lot of time hanging out) is #Rambla. My nick or nick name there is Auriel or Kit and if anyone needs to speak with me without the time lag of the forum or email that is the best place to leave me a message or even find me live on the channel.

Here is a link to the commercial free web portal that can be used to access either #Rambla and or #reddit-asexuality.
http://webchat.freenode.net/

Warmest regards to all,

Kit Caldera

"The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice."
~ Bryan Stevenson
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0993 seconds | Archive