Skin created by Thesniper(Rilagn at if support). Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.
Paramount Web Masters
Search Engine
Submission

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Bowyersofmiddleearth. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Affilate Links
 BowyersOfMiddleEarth

BowyersOfMiddleEarth News:
Hello, join up and start reliving the tradtional archery dream! everything you will need to know about making primitive bows! also visit www.rudderbows.com , everything you need for traditional archery, and more!

Steaming a Recurve into a Bow
IceArcher55
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 05:53 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ok, since phill made one, i want to make one but im dub so please dont quote me until you recheck with some one, but with my bows this is how i do it. This is for strictly hickory because thats the only wood ive tried to recurve. If you have a different wood id suggest asking some one else first. Ok this is how you recurve a hickory bow. Decide how far in you would like to start recurving and make a form for the recurve. A form can be simply made for a peice of wood that you cut out with a bandsaw or table saw, the shape of your recurve. You will later clamp the wood to this form so whatever you want your recurve to look like make the form a little deeper than you want the recurve to look like. This is because when you unclamp it, you will lose a little bit of the shape than how it was clamped. Now once you have your form cut out, pour some olive oil over where you are going to heat. Than, start heating the wood evenly along the tips to about midlimb (just to make sure you dont leave any spots untreated. use a grill on medium or a stove top on high. it depends on a lot of things how long it will take. Once you know the wood is pretty much heated through, it should be quite easy to clamp the recurve to the form, gradually and slowly do this until you have it clamped down. Allow 24 hours to cool, although an hour will probably work too. (i wait 24 to lose less of the recurve) then there you go! you got your recurve in the wood. One last thing, when you clamp it down, make sure that the back is the part being clamped to the form. This is because when you heat it, do not heat the back of the bow directly. you do not want to scortch (burn) this part of the wood. (not that you want to burn the belly either but it probably would be less of a tragedy if one at all) correct me if im wrong on any of this.

dan
YourDoom123
Posted: Feb 9 2005, 05:58 PM

New Bowyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

if you never want burn any part of a bow. heat treating it is ok on the belly side (that is, heating it up until the color of the wood changes). it adds compression strength. doesn't work with all woods tho. i'm fairly sure it works on hickory.
mnewcomb59
Posted: Mar 23 2005, 10:35 PM

New Bowyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

i wish i knew if i can make my bow into a recurve. it is a red oak longbow. its 66 inches long and is not done being tillered. i want to know which backing would be better out of hickory or rawhide. also i want to know if i recurve it before or after i put my backing on. i am really new at this so any help on tillering or building a bow would be appreciated. thanks everyone who tries to help. matt
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

<BGSOUND src="">
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1839 seconds | Archive