InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For bulletin boards and e-mail lists covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Exhaust valve stems will not lock in rotocaps, What to do?
Galen
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 06:11 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 139

I am trying to install the keepers to my exhaust valve and I am having a devil of a time.
Every time I compress the spring and put the keepers on then release the tool, the valve spring is not terribly tight like the others and I can rotate the top of the valve. Could this be a sign that the rotocap is shot, and its not putting adequate pressure on the keepers. i cant remember if I'm using the original rotocaps. I found that two of the exhaust valves were not being held in place with the keepers.

--------------------
1954 CJ3B -Transport Yellow-
1953 B4 Dodge Power Wagon
1941 Dodge WC 1/2 ton military
1967 Plymouth Valiant
Culpeper, VA
oldtime
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 06:20 PM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

Perhaps wrong valve ?

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1962 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B / Warn O.D. / Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
Galen
Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:36 PM

These are new valves that came along with intake valves as part of an engine rebuild kit I purchased from Walck's. I have to look at the kit description to see if new rotocaps were included.

--------------------
1967 Plymouth Valiant
Culpeper, VA
ammocj
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 10:57 AM

Member No.: 1,163

Are they also new springs?
Maybe this spring is worn or of a different size.

Al

--------------------
53 3b basket case.
Don
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 11:28 AM

Member No.: 6

[COLOR=red]Is there any chance you have the intake and the exhaust springs mixed up?
The intake springs are approx. 1.66 inches installed (1 31/32 on the bench)
The exhaust springs are approx. 2.11 inches installed (2 1/2 on the bench)

user posted image

--------------------
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If lovin' Jeeps is wrong,
I don't wanta be right.
oldtime
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 02:16 PM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

Are the exhaust valve stems designed for Roto caps ?
Can you post a pic of the exhaust valves, locks and retainers ?

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1962 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B / Warn O.D. / Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
jyotin
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 05:45 PM

Member No.: 29

Rotocap in upside down?

--------------------
It's just my luck that something good is going to happen to me today.
54 - 3B - down on the farm
67 - cj6 - former state of Alabama vehicle
?? - cj5 T98a - made from spare parts - Ford tractor blue
Galen
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 08:05 PM

My exhaust valve springs measure 2.5 inches (uncompressed). And the intake valves all are significantly shorter. My feeling is that perhaps the rotocaps are very worn as they are the originals and perhaps there is too much clearance allowing the keepers to slip off the grove in the valve stem? i am ordering 4 new ones. Every time I attach the keepers the valve easily rotates and then I can wiggle it free of the keepers. I doubt that this is spec. I do not want to replace the head only to have the exhaust valves work themselves free again. This may be the reason for the rattling inside the valve cover and no power and not a timing problem.

--------------------
1967 Plymouth Valiant
Culpeper, VA
spm1us
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 09:43 PM

Member No.: 416

Hello Galen, unless your engine is suffering from excessive valve seat recession/wear, then you could always get some valve spring shims from the machine shop to restore the correct installed height of the valve. You really should determine if all the exhaust valve stems are at the same height/level in the block. You should also be aware of "coil bind" on the springs if you install too many shims to take up the excess length. You may want to pull the head and verify that the valve heads and valve seats are not damaged. The keeper grooves could have possibly bene machined in the wrong location or you may have received the wrong valves,too. Again, pulling the head and comparing all the valves would help eliminate the possibilities and determine the cause of the problem. If you wanted to eliminate the roto-caps entirely,then you could shim the valve springs and use intake valve retainers and keepers. Hope this helps, Sam Michael Jr, Jax, FL
Galen
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 08:27 PM

I received my new rotocaps today and they are totally different from the ones I currently have. My old ones are conical not flat as the new ones and the new ones are thicker and look identical to the ones depicted in the service manual. This leads me to believe that the old ones were plain wrong and thus the source of my problem? I may be on the road to recovery!!!

Once I install them this weekend I will know for sure.

--------------------
1967 Plymouth Valiant
Culpeper, VA
OZ-JEEP
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 07:15 AM

Member No.: 4

Any chance that you could post a picture with the two differant rotocaps side by side for our viewing pleasure ?

--------------------
O.G. "OZ" Findley
1954 CJ-3B
1970 Jeepster/Commando
Michigan
Don
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 07:32 AM

Member No.: 6

QUOTE (Galen @ Mar 1 2012, 09:27 PM)
I received my new rotocaps today and they are totally different from the ones I currently have. My old ones are conical not flat as the new ones and the new ones are thicker and look identical to the ones depicted in the service manual. This leads me to believe that the old ones were plain wrong and thus the source of my problem? I may be on the road to recovery!!!

Once I install them this weekend I will know for sure.

OH COOL !!! I hate you had such a problem but I'm sure glad you have found what sounds like a solid answer.

Keep us posted, and I'd like to see some pictures also.

--------------------
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If lovin' Jeeps is wrong,
I don't wanta be right.
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0670 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep bulletin boards and mailing lists:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a web/e-mail forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.