Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

1963 CJ3B Project, Trans-vintage "restoration"
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 08:50 PM

Boise, Idaho

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 8

Back from a 5 month hiatus. Remember I said that I made a mistake by not testing my drive train before putting the tub on? Well, my clutch did not work properly and here are the results

user posted image

Would have been so much easier working from the top without the tub on

user posted image

I bought a new clutch and pressure plate and adjusted properly according to the manual. I also had the flywheel ground.

user posted image

My new clutch setup worked great!! On to the brakes - was a fairly simple, straight forward project

user posted image

And, after the brakes were good, the jeep got new shoes

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 Bronco - 302, 3sp, D-20
My YouTube Channel Photobucket
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 08:56 PM

Boise, Idaho

I drove my jeep around all summer like that. Had a blast. But, around September, I figured I better get my butt in gear and get this thing painted. I set up a poor excuse for a paint booth in my garage.

Jeep stripped back down and the rattle can primer removed:

user posted image

Etching primer on:

user posted image

user posted image

Fill primer sprayed on:

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:00 PM

Boise, Idaho

Finally spraying color:

user posted image

user posted image

Bolting the rest of the pieces on:

user posted image

user posted image

"Done"

user posted image

--------------------
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:15 PM

Boise, Idaho

I traded looks for safety and installed a roll bar that will hopefully prevent a broken neck should I ever roll

user posted image

Here I have installed the spare tire mount and draw bar:

user posted image

I installed a good electric wiper on the drivers side. Still have to put one on the passenger side one of these days

user posted image

A nice bikini top from New Life Canvas

user posted image

And here is the engine pulled to replace the rear main seal, also replaced timing cover and gasket - trying to stop up at least some of the leaks. As a post script to that, both FAIL. Always dripping from where the timing cover and the oil pan meet no matter how many new gaskets and gasket sealant I use.

user posted image

--------------------
Got-the-willys
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:22 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,033

fantastic job Doug i have enjoyed reading and see your progress from start to finish
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:29 PM

Boise, Idaho

I was out in the mountains enjoying the jeep, even though there was still plenty to do. I finally got sick of the transmission popping out of second gear so during the winter down time, I decided it was a great time to rebuild the transmission and might as well do the transfer case at the same time.

I have pictures from almost every step along the way for both rebuilds, so if anyone ever needs some reference pictures from a T-90 or D-18, you can view them HERE.

user posted image

Disassembled T-90

user posted image

Cleaned and painted case

user posted image

user posted image

Rebuilt T-90

user posted image

--------------------
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:36 PM

Boise, Idaho

Disassembly of the D-18

user posted image

Fully disassembled D-18. This one did not have the standard E-brake assembly. That would be fixed during the rebuild as well.

user posted image

Cleaned and painted parts of the D-18

user posted image

D-18 assembled

user posted image

Transmission/ transfer case being installed back into Jeep. They both work like a dream

user posted image

--------------------
Doug
Posted: Apr 2 2011, 09:44 PM

Boise, Idaho

Next thing I worked on was the carburetor rebuild. I rebuilt a spare that I had so the jeep would be down for as little time as possible. Old carb

user posted image

I rebuilt using a Carter Zip kit

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Carb fully rebuilt

user posted image

And this brings you up to date on the work on my 63 3B. I still have to go through the axles and work them and I have a spare F-head engine that I plan on rebuilding. Future plans also include installing a hard top and heater so I can enjoy the jeep a little bit more in the winter. Probably will install a one wire alternator at some point, too.

--------------------
Jax
Posted: Apr 3 2011, 03:19 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 62

Fantastic job Doug.
That's a really sweet ride you built up.
Truly inspirational for all the builders & wrenchers here!!
Jax

--------------------
Aloha, Kealoha Jax
kealohajax@yahoo.com
Waihou, Kainaliu Mauka, Hawaii
Willys Trans-Vintage project 1955 CJ3B
My Build:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...?showtopic=2775

http://s767.photobucket.com/home/kealohajax
Doug
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 09:31 PM

Boise, Idaho

This past summer, I moved the spare tire mount from the side to the tailgate. I personally like the look better when the spare is mounted on the tailgate.

First the chains were removed and the tailgate was bolted shut:

user posted image

Small modification to the spare tire bracket:

user posted image

The first hole that I drilled in the tailgate kind of stung - the rest were easier tongue.gif I used a piece of oak on the inside of the tailgate to help spread out weight/ abuse. It should have been bigger, but that was all I had laying around at the time. I got the idea from HERE I off set it because I want to fit a jerry can back there eventually.

user posted image

user posted image

Here is the finished product:

user posted image

This set up worked fine for awhile. However on the last trip into the hills in October, I noticed a lot of noise and movement back there. I checked it out and the top loop of the gate cracked. I had to remove the spare for the rest of the trip. Later this winter I plan to modify a spare tailgate I have laying around and try for round 2. This one will be a lot beefier.

--------------------
Doug
Posted: Dec 17 2011, 10:01 PM

Boise, Idaho

This weekend, a friend and I installed my new over drive. I had saved all summer and fall to afford it. Figured it was a good, early Christmas present. I ordered it from Herm.

user posted image

First thing I did was lose the cotter pin from the main drive gear down inside the transfer case. Had to take the bottom pan off to make sure it was out of there rolleyes.gif Planetary gear installed.

user posted image

The most difficult part by far was getting the lock washer and locking ring in place - and making sure they were in properly.

user posted image

After that, things went pretty well. Rest of the OD installed:

user posted image

One interesting thing that I found when removing the transfer case pan. I was unaware that CJ3Bs came with F Script parts laugh.gif laugh.gif

user posted image

The OD seems to work really well; although, I didn't take it on a long run. It was about 40 degrees today and people were looking at me like I was crazy driving around in an open jeep cool.gif

--------------------
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Rebuilders Posts | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0951 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep forums:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.