InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Engine rebuild, what should I expect?
Goose
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:05 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 910

Hey all. Since I repaired/replaced everthing else last winter to get my rolling-restoration on the road...now that cold weather's here again I'm ready to tackle the motor.

What should I expect to be replacing? Another words, is it customary to just short-block these little 4cyl, or tear into it and only replace what's worn? I know the pistons, rings and valve guides are bad due to the amount of smoke I see on a cold start up.

I may have a mechanic buddie do the work as I help but before I/we start I'm wondering what all we're about to get into.

Thanks, Goose

--------------------
1963 CJ3B
Roaming the woods of WNC
tow hook
  Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:23 AM

tow hook, your western pa jeep guy

Member No.: 677

how much do you have to spend??? lol i'd do any thing that looks bad/ questionable.. i just saw a rebuild cost 3500$ on a 134 f head... get lookng build, but that could buy another willys with a working engine... my head bill was 132$ and that was discounted cause my shop sents a lot of work that way. it was more then i thought i'd spend. i'm planning on having 400-600$into my rebuild of my block when the time comes...

--------------------
57 3b now a trans model 3b smile.gif
93 xj r.i.p.
95 yj 33's daily driver
02 wj 33's wifes rig
98 xj rock crawler wanta be
jyotin
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 08:36 AM

Member No.: 29

I just got the head re-done, the block cleaned, bored and sleeved, the crank turned -- now I've got to put it together. Included in the price were the additional parts -- rings, pistons, bearings, gasket set.

Total cost was 1300 for it all -- but, again, all I have now is a pile of parts. The F head is fairly easy to assemble, with the only special tooling required being flathead valve compressor, ring installer, and piston installation tool.

The rest uses standard tools and a standard torque wrench.

This engine was yellow, but is now Ford Tractor Blue.

The only remaining cost once I get the engine assembled will be oil pump and water pump.

I'm going slowly on this one because I'm having the 15 year old grandson help me with this. I thought it'd be good experience for him to get up close and personal with some old iron.

It'll take the mystery out of an engine...
j

--------------------
It's just my luck that something good is going to happen to me today.
54 - 3B - down on the farm
67 - cj6 - former state of Alabama vehicle
?? - cj5 T98a - made from spare parts - Ford tractor blue
jeeper50
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 09:58 AM

ol' skool jeeper jeff

Member No.: 23

I was lucky mine only needed a rering and new bearings, guides etc. cost me $1200 to get it back up and running. Also crack repair too.

I have a flat head spring compressor you can borrow, and be sure to check these links out on this site and the "G503" for lots of good tech info the G site deals with the L head motor but the lower end is the same and has alot of good info. read all 4 parts
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73879

also here;
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Engine/Rebuild.html

--------------------
In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king
Texan at heart, Georgian by paycheck

'53 CJ3B, F134, 12v alternator, lockrights, 11"self energizing brakes, Koenig King PTO winch (in garage), restoration of replacement tub and frame in work hope to swap over to them soon.
Tx wheelin pics- http://community.webshots.com/user/fallout96
TN wheelin pics at Coal Creek OHV-
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/willysnut/Windrock06/
Kayaks- Tarpon 160, Tarpon 140-ready to fish...
Bob
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 08:12 AM

Bob

Member No.: 77

I'd say those prices are pretty much in line with what I spent. It all depends on the condition of your motor. Sometimes the rods, mains and such will need work, other times they won't, same with boring, the head, valves, cam. There are a lot of variables. Anywhere from $800-$2,000 is not out of the norm.

--------------------
Bob
1953 CJ3B
1965(?) CJ5
2004 Kubota l3400
oldtime
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 09:57 AM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

What you expect from a Hurricane rebuild is dependant upon your input.
Your input is in the form of money and time or parts and labor.
If you are a green shadetree mechanic and you follow standard Hurricane rebuild procedure you will gain knowledge.
Knowledge becomes manifest as self confidence and contributes toward self sufficiency.

For this reason it may be suggested to slowly and observingly dissassemble the engine by your self.
The dissasemmbly provides you a base of information.
Next is the time consuming cleaning phase which provides an increased familiarization to all individual components.
Upon thorough inspection of individual components one becomes aware of the exact condition of all parts within.
The re-machining to new tolerances is next.
Re-machining is followed by a carefull re-assembly.

My last complete Hurricane rebuild was a total cost around $500 which is extremely low.
How is it that my was my cost was so low ?
I basically rebuilt someone elses so called rebuilt engine.

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1964 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
tow hook
Posted: Oct 29 2011, 11:11 AM

tow hook, your western pa jeep guy

Member No.: 677

QUOTE (oldtime @ Oct 27 2011, 09:57 AM)
What you expect from a Hurricane rebuild is dependant upon your input.
Your input is in the form of money and time or parts and labor.
If you are a green shadetree mechanic and you follow standard Hurricane rebuild procedure you will gain knowledge.
Knowledge becomes manifest as self confidence and contributes toward self sufficiency.

For this reason it may be suggested to slowly and observingly dissassemble the engine by your self.
The dissasemmbly provides you a base of information.
Next is the time consuming cleaning phase which provides an increased familiarization to all individual components.
Upon thorough inspection of individual components one becomes aware of the exact condition of all parts within.
The re-machining to new tolerances is next.
Re-machining is followed by a carefull re-assembly.

My last complete Hurricane rebuild was a total cost around $500 which is extremely low.
How is it that my was my cost was so low ?
I basically rebuilt someone elses so called rebuilt engine.

ya time vs money biggrin.gif and i have lots of time.. lol i agree with the right manual to follow it shouldn't be too bad... i'm not on a time line yet... i belive most of my cost will be at the machine shop. vs parts. and a great bit can be learned. i've found out always ask the guy who the job didn't go right for.. he's learn a lot as to why it didn't go right. and has more tips...

--------------------
57 3b now a trans model 3b smile.gif
93 xj r.i.p.
95 yj 33's daily driver
02 wj 33's wifes rig
98 xj rock crawler wanta be
yjcanibul
Posted: Oct 29 2011, 02:28 PM

Member No.: 118

am on edge of commiting to a 6mth refurb blitz this winter with tub off

fhead plan being contemplated deliver fhead to machine shop, get back assembled bottom end block and loose head, finish assembly myself

initial machine shop contact prices seem reasonable like boring $35 hole etc ...

BTW this is advance warning to those that think I post alot now - wait till i got everything strung across the garage floor ...

--------------------
57 3B : big speedo / Hurricane / YF 938 SD / IAY-4012 / T90 / D18 / 5.375 final drive / open diffs / Firestone 6ply Military NDCC / 12v Delco SI alt / Kayline Top / venting windshield / tub patched / "still fixing leaks one at a time"

89 wrangler : h/duty axles + 5spd / 200+hp 4.2L / arb locked / multiport fuel inj / warn hubs+winch / 1/4 mil km / fishing+trail riding / gets me to work
jeeper50
Posted: Oct 29 2011, 03:51 PM

ol' skool jeeper jeff

Member No.: 23

yjcanibul

As you know we all feed off of each others photos so by all means post any and all you can

About half my costs were machine shop labor/ repairs $600.

--------------------
In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king
Texan at heart, Georgian by paycheck

'53 CJ3B, F134, 12v alternator, lockrights, 11"self energizing brakes, Koenig King PTO winch (in garage), restoration of replacement tub and frame in work hope to swap over to them soon.
Tx wheelin pics- http://community.webshots.com/user/fallout96
TN wheelin pics at Coal Creek OHV-
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/willysnut/Windrock06/
Kayaks- Tarpon 160, Tarpon 140-ready to fish...
Jon
Posted: Nov 1 2011, 10:35 AM

1954 CJ38

Member No.: 1,007

I just dropped off my Dauntless 225 at the engine rebuilder . I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the estimate...

--------------------
54 (first one) all apart in basement, taking time, doing Engine swap (thinking sbc V8), disc brakes w/ vacuum assist. power steering. Love the look of a 3B but need the modern conveniences. Having a blast doing it.

A Wise man Is Cognizant Of What He Doesn't Know.

Worcester, MA
Goose
Posted: Jan 7 2012, 07:53 AM

Dropped off the 3B at my friends yesterday to start the engine rebuild. I know most of you guys do the work yourselves but I don't trust myself mechanically enough yet. This is the same buddy/mechanic that set the gear lash on my front axle pinion last year, he knows his way around a Willys like I know the back of my hand.

He said parts could run anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on what we find. Might just need rings but while in there we plan to inspect the cam lobe for the mech fuel pump so I can ditch the elec one. For his labor I'm swapping him a '78 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup that's at my familys farm. I plan to spend lots of time looking over his shoulder and lending a hand the next few weeks and will document with pics.

--------------------
1963 CJ3B
Roaming the woods of WNC
Goose
Posted: Jan 18 2012, 10:21 PM

The work begins. Did a leak-down before the tear-down, compression was high and consistant in all four cylinders.
That's a mixed blessing for me...on the one hand it'll mean a cheaper rebuild, but on the other, less noticable HP gain once back together.

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B
Roaming the woods of WNC
Goose
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 07:00 PM

Cleaning and painting parts while we wait for the block and head to get back from the mach shop.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B
Roaming the woods of WNC
Doug
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 10:23 PM

Boise, Idaho

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 8

Dang, Goose; I am envious!! biggrin.gif

I had planned on rebuilding my engine this winter, but it's not going to happen.

Looking really great so far!

--------------------
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 Bronco - 302, 3sp, D-20
My YouTube Channel Photobucket
Goose
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 12:44 PM

I like red!

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B
Roaming the woods of WNC
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0942 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep forums:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.