InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For bulletin boards and e-mail lists covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Dana 44 Rear Axle, End Play and Center Block in Diff
Walton1975
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 11:21 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,424

I'm rebuilding a 67 cj-5 and before anyone says anything I know this is a board for the cj-3B but this was the only place I found info on the end play for the Dana 44. The problem I'm having is I don't have the centering block that the axles hit in the diff and I was wondering if there was anyone out there that might have one or know the dimensions for one so I could make one.
oldtime
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 06:24 PM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

Walton 1975,
Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board !

I personally don't mind the 3B related or the 3B sibling questions.
Actually I was planning to check that dimension because it's one rear axle factors that effects the OAW of the complete axle assembly.
I suppose this is for the standard open differential ?

Also I suggest that you post a WTB.

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1962 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B / Warn O.D. / Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
oldtime
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 09:21 AM

Early CJ's used 3 different center block spacers.
# 640965 is for 1946 to 1956 D41 and D44 with 10 spline axles.
# 649356 is for 1956 to 1970 D44 with 19 involute splines.
# 912637 is a 3 piece spacer for the 1956 and all later * Powr Lok differentials.
(*Jeep quit using D44 Powr Lok's in 1970 but some 30 spline Jeep rear axles are modified by using IH Powr Loks)

Your 1966 was standard with a tapered rear D44 having 19 splines.
A Powr Lok differential was an option.

Sorry, At this time I don't have any 19 spline differential center block spacers that I can measure.
I do have a Jeep racing friend that I can contact.
He likely has one available.

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator

St Louis
Walton1975
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 05:29 PM

I can't thank you enough for all the info your giving me. That would be awesome if you could get me the dimensions!! Today I pulled the carrier out (with some assistance of a heat wrench to get the left axle out) and my problems went from bad to worse. It has a lockrite locker and the 4 pins that keep everything lined up were all broken along with the springs so while pulling the cross shaft out I noticed it was to short and has alot of play. I get the locker out and look to see what the damage is and its not good! The shorter cross shaft pin has elongated the hole though the carrier so now I need to replace the carrier too!! Luckly I was able to find a carrier at a local JY but it has the later year spider gears wont work with my axles that are 19 spline so i'm still stuck until I can get parts for the locker.
oldtime
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 06:34 PM

Luckly I was able to find a carrier at a local JY but it has the later year spider gears wont work with my axles that are 19 spline

Technically speaking the "carrier" section is the cast housing portion of the axle assembly.
It is improperly yet commonly referred to as the "pumpkin".
Seems to me that you need a differential case.
I understand that you located a differential case for a D44 with 30 spline axle shafts.
Is that correct ? If so you will have to locate a 19 spline differential case.
I recommend either the standard 19 spline open differential case or a Powr Lok case.

--------------------

St Louis
Walton1975
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 07:14 AM

Think we're talking about the same thing just using different terms.

oldtime
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 06:54 PM

Walton1975,

If I recall correctly, this is how the Lockrite is installed.....
The 2 standard pinion mate gears and the 2 pinion mate washers are replaced with the Lockrite unit. The center block spacer is not used.

Are you planning on replacing the Lockrite with the standard open carrier or what ?
Do you need the 2 pinion mates the 2 pinion mate washers and the center block spacer ? (total of 5 parts)

--------------------

St Louis
glenn
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 09:14 PM

Member No.: 1,350

I had to look for Lock-rite instructions on line but it says the block is still used withthe lock-rite. You should be able to get one from Walck's I would think? smile.gif
oldtime
Posted: Mar 23 2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks Glen,
Guess I'm just not a Lock Rite kinda guy.

--------------------

St Louis
Walton1975
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 05:38 AM

Hey thanks for the info I was able to find the space online and I also got the spring and pin kit for the locker axles are back in and the end play is what it should be now. Hope to have the old girl done this week!!!!! Thanks again!
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1184 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep bulletin boards and mailing lists:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a web/e-mail forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.