zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board

parking brake - pulley?
Rick'sB
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 02:19 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 574

I am looking for any references of the parking brake drum being used as a belt pulley. Has anyone ever seen anything ever driven from the e brake drum? It really looks like the grooves in the outer drum would hold a v-belt.

--------------------
http://www.in2jeep.com/

www.hrja.org
Larry (TX)
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 11:11 PM

Member No.: 40

The only belt pulley's I've ever seen used on jeeps have been PTO driven rear mounted right angle pulleys very similar to those used on Ford and Ferguson/MF farm tractors; (I don't recall ever seeing or reading any jeep literature that stated the grooves on the parking brake drum were designed or engineered to drive belts, but then again, I didn't read every piece of literature ever printed by the mfg. either).

--------------------
Larry Steed
Pearland, Texas
'53 Willys CJ3B
'52 Willys M38
'81 CJ7
'86 Chevy M1009 CUCV (K5 4x4 Military Blazer)
M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M101 CDN 1/4 ton jeep trailer
Rick'sB
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah I have not heard of it used that way either.

Naturally it would probably have to be used while stationary with the rear wheels jacked up.

Just looks like one could rig a small generator or something in the bed and drive it off the drum.

--------------------

www.hrja.org
oldtime
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 09:16 AM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

K~B () - 22 Mar, 11:53 AM

The Spicer 18-H PTO drove a multiple "V" belt drum.
The belts came up through a hole in the floor pan near the 18-H PTO unit to drive the welding generator.
The Jeep Operation Data Booklet shows a picture of the G.E. welder mounted in the bed of an early CJ.
This booklet was produced sometime in the era of the CJ-3A.
So the welder generator shown would be 1949 to 1952.
Also as I indicated earlier the Hobart welding generator was later on mentioned in the OM 1010 circa about 1964.
The Hobart welder was given status as Jeep Approved Special Equipment.
K~B

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1964 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
HOGHEAD
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 10:16 AM

Old Jeep Fart

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (oldtime @ Mar 30 2012, 09:16 AM)
K~B () - 22 Mar, 11:53 AM

The Spicer 18-H PTO drove a multiple "V" belt drum.
The belts came up through a hole in the floor pan near the 18-H PTO unit to drive the welding generator.
The Jeep Data Booklet shows a picture of the G.E. welder mounted in the bed of an early CJ.
This booklet was produced sometime in the era of the CJ-3A.
So the welder generator shown would be 1949 to 1952.
Also as I indicated earlier the Hobart welding generator was later on mentioned in the OM 1010 circa about 1964.
The Hobart welder was given status as Jeep Approved Special Equipment.
K~B

Wow that thought was going though my mind as I was reading this.. Ive seen welders in old jeeps & they sit real close to where the brake brum is located... But you'd have to have some good wheel chucks with you ,,, I might drive a Dump truck to make ends meet butt at heart Im still a rod burner,,, & Hobart was a real good weleder...

Do a search on this they will not let me copy anything ,,,

Vintage Jeeps,Inc. Parts & Jeep Accessories From The Jeep Parts Experts.

--------------------
Dargan Md...
Death Before 2 Wheel Drive...
"On a Steel Horse I ride"
AMC Rules.
"Journey" not the Destination...
59 Cj3-b (married to a 74 Cj-5 frame & AMC running gear)
user posted image
Willys Overland,,

My Build http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...?showtopic=2892
Rick'sB
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 01:09 PM

This is good stuff. It would be great to find a few pictures someplace of it set up.

--------------------

www.hrja.org
VIC543B
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 02:53 PM

Unregistered

Larry (TX)
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 03:12 PM

Member No.: 40

Thanks for posting the data operations booklet Dave as some of the pictures sure bring back some old memories. Though I've seen a number of old jeeps with the mounted three point lifts, the picture/drawing of the double bottom disc plow reminds me of a couple of jeeps that used to sit outside the US Forestry Service building in Groveton, TX. These were used to plow deep furrows through the trees in the East Texas piney woods to prevent the spread of fire. The jeeps were later replaced with more powerful JD dozers that were kept on the dove tailed flat beds of 2 1/2 ton Chevy and Ford trucks. Thinking back now, I seem to recall the jeeps may have been 3B's.

--------------------
Larry Steed
Pearland, Texas
'53 Willys CJ3B
'52 Willys M38
'81 CJ7
'86 Chevy M1009 CUCV (K5 4x4 Military Blazer)
M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M101 CDN 1/4 ton jeep trailer
Brian's 58 3b
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 05:07 PM

Member No.: 470

Here you go, not a 3b but some fun

Coined by Popular Mechanic’s Found here:
(The link is larger than the Jeep)(Just Google: The Mobile Midget Plane starter)

http://books.google.com/books?id=29kDAAAAM...tarters&f=false

The Mobile Midget Plane starter was on a cut down Cj3a. The interlock pin was removed and the front axle was locked in at all times. The drive for the generator came off the rear break drum.
To see them in action here is a really fun link to a movie clip from. “The Bridges at Toko-Ri”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4AmbYTnRQ

Here’s a link to a really good picture and I have translated the text.
http://willysargentina.com.ar:8090/viewtop...ab5f4628a4f3155

(Translation)
Jeeps really are not, but APUs (Auxiliary Power Unit) used to start the engine and electrical power aircraft on deck.
Made by O.E. Szekely Co. of Philadelphia, components and parts used Jeeps M38/CJ3A, engine, chassis and body of the front axle (mounted securely, without suspension or direction, etc.).
The direction is effected from a small rear wheel (actually two closely spaced) which mounted on a vertical pivot maneuverability provided an astonishing, as seen in the video.
A generator coupled to the PTO provided the current requirements for aircraft systems

This link has a good photo showing anti roll skids under the Jeep.
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/...ic.php?p=139410

When I first came to the page looking for a 3b there was a M606 in the southern desert of California. Sitting alongside were 3 of these units, all for went for $3000,00 off Ebay. Living 2800 miles away I could only drool.
I would have given a unit to the Yankee Air Museum because here is what’s left of their Jeep from a fire that nearly wiped out a B-17 and their whole collection of planes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigkungfumaster/208497263/
If anyone of these units let me Know.

Brian
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0575 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep forums:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.