InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For bulletin boards and e-mail lists covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

rim backspacing
sdn
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 08:31 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,425

Gidday fellas,

Can anyone tell me the backspacing needed for a 6" x 16" rim so it keeps the tyre's rubber inside the fenders and bodywork of a CJ3B?

I intend to run 7.50" x 16" NDT tyres- but dont want the rubber hanging outside the original bodywork if at all possible.

thanks,

Stephen.

--------------------
Stephen,

Perth, Western Australia

Way too slow rebuild of a 1990 Mahindra CJ340DP.
oldtime
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 09:59 AM

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

The wheel is composed of two parts. The rim and the disk.
The standard disk for the various CJ wheels are almost always inset 3/4" from true rim centerline.
This 3/4" inset locates the wheel 3/8" away from true spindle bearing centerline.

A 6" wide wheel measures 7" OAW. (outermost rim flange to outermost rim flange)
This implies that the Jeep 6" wide wheel has a 4-1/4" backset from the rim flange.
4-1/4" backset will provide the standard Jeep wheelset. (3/4" inset)

The 3B body tub is 57" OAW.
I will estimate that you have a D25 front axle measuring 50-3/4" drum to drum OAW.
*Note not all axles are exactly the same width.
In my opinion the standard wheel inset is not exactly optimum.
The optimum for CJ-3B with D25 is a wheel having 3/8" inset.
That puts the track centerline at 50".
50" track allows a maximum tire tread width of 6.75" to remain just barely under the front fenders.
And it will allow for the minimal amount of spring rubbing at full turn..

My figures indicate an optimum backset of 3-7/8" for a 6 x 16" wheel.
And yes this becomes critical if you try to stuff a 7.50 x 16 tire onto the early CJ.

As always thanks for posting.

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator
2nd full re-build using the best from all vintages of CJ-3B

1962 OPTIONAL-STOCK CJ-3B / Warn O.D. / Tigertop / Transport yellow (orange)
Currently serving as my one and only DAILY DRIVER

St Louis
sdn
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 02:40 PM

Gidday Oldtime, thanks for the quick reply!

I didnt think to mention,

My CJ is an Indian manufactured CJ340DP (CJ3B license built copy) made in 1991, both axles are DANA 44's

The Mahindra workshop manual says it originally came with :
6" x 16" rims with 7.50" x 16" 6 ply NDT tyres, or
7" x 15" rims with P235/75 R15 tyres

The manual states front track should be 51.5" or 51.8"

Rear track is listed at either 49.6" or 50".

I dont have a set of either size original issue rims and tyres to measure- and the body, frame and axles are not together, so unfortunately- its a bit difficult to measure up at the moment. its going to be a few days before I can get to the axles to measure proper overall width.

--------------------
Stephen,

Perth, Western Australia

captjoe
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 11:00 PM

Capt. Joe

Member No.: 996

Hat's off to Ken once again for amazingly detailed data! I would have to take a stick, tape measure and a pencil to get that straight in my mind. (Which I will have to do later!) The result of those numbers that I experienced with my build using a 7.50 x 16 tire on standard Kelsey-Hayes Jeep wheels (see link below) is that I had to put 1/4" spacers behind the wheel to keep the front tire comfortably off of the springs at full turn, and that has the tire just pushing at coming out from under the fenders. As best as I understand Ken's numbers, my experience and his numbers seem consistent. I believe a 7.00 was the largest tire that was supplied stock on the CJ3B in the US. Can someone verify that?
I hope to have the body (painted) sitting on the frame with those tires by late May. OK, there, I said a date. I must get to work!
Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Capt. Joe

Tire and wheel picture:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...wtopic=3619&hl=

--------------------
One piece, one part, one project at a time in the shop, but their all going in my head!
1964 CJ3B, MD Juan body, pretty darn close to stock, under restoration, gettin' close to done, I think!
sdn
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 01:43 AM

These Mahindra (Indian) manufactured CJ3B clones were brought into Western Australia in 1991 or 2- only about 300 of them, and to reduce import duty they were fitted with some Australian content,
heater demister assembly,
rollcage,
retracting seatbelts,
hood and bows,
brake booster,
toolkit and toolbox,
15" rims and tyres and a radio for the upmarket "bushranger" model.
Aussie made alternator, and soe other bits and pieces.

The standard "stockman" model kept the original military type low back seats, the 6 x 16 rims with 7.50 x 16 tyres- and had no radio or brake booster.

Unfortunately, our taxman reckoned there wasnt enough Aussie content- so to reduce the tax payable, the "stockman" models had thier tyres and rims destroyed, replaced with the 15" versions, and a brake booster added.

In the end- a lot of the mahindra jeeps were destroyed as the dealer couldnt sell them- and was going to have to pay a huge tax bill.
no one knows how many survived.

I am told that Mahindra built thier version of the CJ3B using the stongest options- dana 44's front and rear, biggest clutch, biggest brakes, transfercase with the 1 1/4" shaft, peugeot diesel, and a 4 speed T90 gearbox.

not too sure how true it is though!

Stephen.

--------------------
Stephen,

Perth, Western Australia

oldtime
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 09:24 AM

Stephen,
I can figure and explain the optimum "wheelset" for your
Mahindra if you can supply....

The exact front axle width (measure drum to drum)
The exact front fender width. (OAW)
The acual tire tread width will also help.

--------------------
1953 TRANS-VINTAGE CJ-3B / AC 4693 fuel pump / YF 938 SD / Hurricane / 9-1/4" Auburn clutch / T90-C / 2.46 ratio D-18 / Warn O.D. / 5.375 final drive / Powr Lok Front + Rear / Dualmatic drive flanges / deluxe Koenig half cab / 12 volt generator

St Louis
sdn
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 05:11 AM

sorry fellas - it took a while to get back,

front axle from drum to drum is 50"

rear axle from drum to drum is 48.4" (as near as I can tell)

rear tub is 57.5" across

58.25" across for the front fenders (as near as I can tell) both fenders are being used as plugs for fibreglass moulds at the moment and are a bit messy.

tyre tread dimensions I dont have yet- but I am intending to buy 7.50 x 16 NDT tyres.

All the best,

Stephen.

--------------------
Stephen,

Perth, Western Australia

oldtime
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 11:23 AM

All Jeep rear axles are slightly narrow compared to the front axles.
For now I will focus your concern toward the front axle only.

O.K....Here are some facts and theory to comprehend.

Concerning tire dimensions..
Sadly the actual measured figures are often different from the manufactures claimed figures.
I usually prefer to use the actual measured tread width figure.
If you want the complete overall tire width inside the fenderwell then use the manufactures claimed overall tire width figure.

Let's say most likely the proposed tire will have a 7" tread face or possibly a little less.
Here, I specifically mean the actual tread face and not the overall tire width.
Let's also say that you choose a wheel with zero set.
Take 50" and add 7" that implies the outermost tire track will be exactly 57" wide.
The tire tread will then be well inside of your Mahindra 58-1/4" fenderwell dimension.
You could potentially outset the wheels about 1/2 " each resulting in a 58" outermost track width.
Or you could install up to 8" wide tread pattern with a zero set (true centerline) wheel.

As always thanks for your questions and comments.

--------------------

St Louis
sdn
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 09:24 AM

Thanks for that Oldtimer- all makes sense now!

stephen

--------------------
Stephen,

Perth, Western Australia

« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0773 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep bulletin boards and mailing lists:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a web/e-mail forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.