Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CJ3B Bulletin Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Home

CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the forum of The CJ3B Page. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived on the Tech Tips page. If you post a problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it will likely be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board

Doug
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 09:41 PM

Boise, Idaho

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 8

Many of you have been waiting a long time for avatars to be activated. Your wait is now over!

An avatar guide has been posted below for those who may not be familiar with avatars.

Even though image scale is on, you MUST ensure that the image size that you want to upload is no greater than 25kb prior to uploading. The image scale only resizes the dimensions, not the file size.

If you are having problems changing your avatar from your current one, first try clearing your cache, then close your browser and retry.

Please post your questions or problems here.

Thank you!

--------------------
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 Bronco - 302, 3sp, D-20
2004 TW 200
My YouTube Channel Photobucket
Doug
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 09:58 PM

Boise, Idaho

What is an avatar?

Wikipedia defines an avatar as: “…a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego….” It goes on to state: “Avatars on Internet forums serve the purpose of representing users and their actions, personalizing their contributions to the forum, and may represent different parts of their persona, beliefs, interests or social status in the forum.”

Basically, an avatar is a small picture, usually no larger than about 25 kb in size that will be displayed to the left of your post, beneath your username. It will be displayed with every post and helps other forum members easily identify you.

Do I have to have an avatar?

No. If you don’t upload an avatar, you will not have one. So, if you do not want an avatar, no action is required.

I do not wish to view other’s avatars. Can I opt out?

Yes, and it is quite easy to do. The steps are outlined below:
First ensure that you are logged into your account. Near the top, right hand side of the page, above the picture of The CJ3B Page homepage, click on “My Controls.”

user posted image

On the left hand side of the page will be a column called “Menu.” Near the bottom is a sub-heading called “Options.” In this section, click on the selection titled: “Board Settings.”

user posted image

Near the middle of the page, you will see a column titled: “Welcome to your control panel.” Scroll down until you see a sub-heading called: “Board display settings.” Beneath this sub-heading, scroll down until you see the option: “Do you wish to view members avatars when reading topics?”

user posted image

In the drop down menu to the right, select “No.” Near the bottom of the page, click on “Change my account options.”

user posted image

Finally, click on “CJ3B Bulletin Board” near the top left of the page and it will return you to the Bulletin Board main page.

user posted image

--------------------
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
2004 TW 200
Doug
Posted: Jan 25 2009, 10:11 PM

Boise, Idaho

I would like an avatar, but don’t know how to make one.

It is not difficult to create an avatar. First, you need to decide on a picture, and it needs to be in one of the following formats: .gif .jpeg .jpg .png .bmp. Once you have a picture in the proper format saved on your computer, perform the following steps.

First ensure that you are logged into your account.
Near the top, right hand side of the page, above the picture of The CJ3B Page homepage, click on “My Controls.”

user posted image

On the left hand side of the page will be a column called “Menu.” Near the middle is a sub-heading called “Personal Profile.” In this section, click on the selection titled: “Edit Avatar Settings.”

user posted image

Near the middle of the page, you will see a column titled: “Welcome to your control panel.” Scroll down until you see a sub-heading called: “Your Image Avatars.” Select the “Browse” button and this should open a window and let you navigate to where you saved your picture on your computer. Select “open.” Note that depending on which browser you use (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc) your exact view may vary.

user posted image

The image location should now show up in the box. Select “Update Avatar” button.

user posted image

Your avatar should now be enabled. All of your previous posts should now display your avatar, as will your future posts. Finally, click on “CJ3B Bulletin Board” near the top left of the page and it will return you to the Bulletin Board main page. If you have any questions or problems, please contact an administrator.

user posted image

--------------------
2004 TW 200
Chet
Posted: Jan 27 2009, 05:22 PM

Agent CJ3B

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Nicely done Doug! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Look forward to seeing some cool 3B avatars!

--------------------
'65 CJ3B
Spring Branch, Texas
My story Texas High-Hood History
"Like" my Facebook Fan Page High Hood Hijinks
Visit my YouTube Channel Horse Face Films
Don
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 08:29 AM

Member No.: 6

Good Morning Doug,

I tried to add an avatar this morning but seem to be having trouble. All goes per your instructions, picture is jpeg format, but when I hit 'UPDATE AVATAR" it starts to load then goes to a different screen and says "This menu has been disabled".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don

--------------------
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If lovin' Jeeps is wrong,
I don't wanta be right.
Don
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 08:32 AM

Doug, I'm back.

OK,,,, next question,,, after I posted that last message, 30 seconds ago, I seee that the avatar I tried to load the first day I joined has been turned on. so how now do I remove an existing avatar and replace it?

Thanks again,

Don

--------------------
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't wanta be right.
Doug
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 09:54 AM

Boise, Idaho

Hello Don,

I had that same issue on Friday. Try this procedure:

Go into your control panel and select delete avatar.
Your avatar picture should go away.
Next, you will need to delete your cache (in explorer, I think it's Tools>Internet Options. It's in there somewhere. I don't use explorer except at work, so I can't check on it right now.)
After you've deleted cache, close your browser and then open it again.
Go back into your control panel and reload your avatar.
At this point, it should work.

After you've deleted your cache, other's avatars will look different if they've changed it. I've changed mine about 75 times wink.gif since Friday. For example, I put an avatar on here on Friday night, but it came out all skewed, so yesterday morning, I used some good photo editing programs and came up with a pretty nice avatar. I loaded it using my PC. Later in the day, I logged on with my laptop and it still showed the old, skewed avatar. I had to delete the cache and then it displayed the correct avatar.

Also, before trying to upload your photo, you MUST ensure that it's no larger than 25kb in size. The site will absolutely not accept it if it's any larger.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't!

Doug

--------------------
2004 TW 200
Don
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 05:15 PM

HEY DOUG !!!!

IT WORKED !!!!! THANKS

Incase you can't tell it's a picture of a Koenig PTO mounted before the body was installed. Just a pic to play with.

--------------------
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't wanta be right.
Chet
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 07:37 PM

Agent CJ3B

Member No.: 22

I'm all for keeping pics small. It's very annoying when someone post a pic that has not been resized.

With that said...these got to be the tiniest Avatars I have ever seen!!!

Just sayin'.

--------------------
'65 CJ3B
Spring Branch, Texas
My story Texas High-Hood History
"Like" my Facebook Fan Page High Hood Hijinks
Visit my YouTube Channel Horse Face Films
ElmoTexas3B
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 12:02 PM

Member No.: 183

Doug,
This may be a stupid question. However, How do you come up with a pic of you jeep that is only 25KB in size??? It seems that ALL my jpeg pics are WAY over 25KB. I have several cool pics of my 3B but they are to large. Any help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Clint Rushton
" ElmoTexas3B"
1954 CJ3B
1947 GMC Truck
Doug
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 10:21 PM

Boise, Idaho

Clint,

Sorry for the delay; I've been working some long hours this week.

The easiest way to make your picture smaller, that I know of, is to use Paint. I think that Paint is loaded on every computer running windows.

Now, the first step is to save a copy of your original picture. Work with the copy and leave the original alone; you don't want your original to be 25kb in size!

To find Paint, go to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Paint. Or you may have to perform a search to find it.

Once Paint is open, select: File --> Open and now choose your file and select Open. At this point, your picture should be displayed in the Paint program.

Now, select: Image --> Stretch/Skew and a popup window should appear. The top section is Stretch and the bottom is skew. You'll want to work with the stretch section. Try putting in 50% for both horizontal and vertical. Select OK.

Close and save the file. Right click on the picture icon and select properties. This should display your image size. Now, just keep repeating that process until you have a good file size. That is kind a long, round about way of making your picture smaller.

There are other photo editing programs out there that will allow you to do so much more. Two that I have are Print Shop 22 and Gimp. I used both of those to create my avatar.

Anyway, using this method will get your picture size down to an acceptable level to create an avatar.

If your avatar doesn't display properly, remember to try the procedure for clearing your cache in my post above.

I hope that this helps. If you can't get it to work, just email your picture to me and I will work it and send back the file.

Good luck!

--------------------
2004 TW 200
ElmoTexas3B
Posted: Feb 9 2009, 10:24 AM

Member No.: 183

Doug,
Thanks for the input. I worked all weekend so hopefully I can give you tips a try this week . I will let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

--------------------
Clint Rushton
" ElmoTexas3B"
1954 CJ3B
1947 GMC Truck
johnrb
Posted: Feb 10 2009, 07:35 AM

Member No.: 404

For those who would like something a bit more sophisticated than Paint, there is Irfanview. It is, without question, the most useful free graphics software available. Note the price is zero - it's free. It's a mini-photoshop - can be used to crop, re-size, re-proportion, color correct your pics. It will change the compression of your .jpg pics so you can control the file size and keep it within the 25kB limit for avatars as well as keep the size reasonable for posted pics.

http://www.irfanview.com

It's free and has no adware, malware, etc. If you want to use it for almost any graphics, video or audio format, download the plugins file as well. So far the only plugin I've found that's not included is Quicktime for videos.

I also use it for scanning, merging pics together (panorama), general housekeeping for all my digital photos. Many more features I have yet to explore.

Current version is 4.23
You'll love it.

--------------------
John Burch - west burbs of Chicago
1946 2A - now I have one older than me
1949 - me - no longer older than all my vehicles
1954 3B - mostly stock - fun driver and snow plowing
1957 - 6 cyl Station Wagon - hope for the future

past Willys
1954 3B - no tub | 1959 3B - engine in pieces in a box

past addiction - VW
1969 Bus | 1970 Westfalia Camper | 1984 Westfalia Camper
johnnybravo
Posted: Jul 10 2011, 09:13 PM

Member No.: 861

I am new on this site and I am having difficulty posting an Avatar. Following is my photo and the error message I get. Can you help? 55.8KB is the smallest I could get using websizer, is this still to big??

The error returned was:

You are not allowed to upload that type of file as an avatar or personal photo

user posted image

--------------------
Ret. USAR & Vet, 2-GPW's, 2-MB's, 1-M38 w/M-100. 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X4 Truck 1-47 WO "Jeep" Wagon-and about a dozen or so CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B. 2-TC3 Trlrs.
Doug
Posted: Jul 11 2011, 10:36 AM

Boise, Idaho

Johnny, I am on the road this week so may have some difficulty helping out. What I would suggest is to read John's post directly above yours. I'd save a copy of your original and name it avatar or something - you don't want to resize your original down to 25kb!! Then try resizing using irfanview as John suggested. Once it's the proper size, THEN upload to the site. Unlike when posting pictures, you can upload an avatar directly from your hard drive.

--------------------
2004 TW 200
« Next Oldest | CJ-3B Posts | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2101 seconds | Archive

Other Willys Jeep forums:

This-Old-Jeep has forums covering all models.
The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.