Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Sahara soundtrack CD
(R)
  Posted: Apr 15 2005, 07:49 PM

Special Member

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 1,339

Listen to the full CD here!

1. "Stay With Me" - The Faces 4:40
2. "We're An American Band" - Grand Funk 3:27
3. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd 4:46
4. "Magic Carpet Ride" - Steppenwolf 4:21
5. "Right Place Wrong Time" - Dr. John 2:54
6. "Never Been Any Reason" - Head East 5:12
7. "In A Foreign Land" - The Kinks 3:04
8. "I'm On Fire" - Dwight Twilley 3:16
9. "On The Road Again" - Canned Heat 3:27
10. "Time Loves A Hero" - Little Feat 3:47
11. "Fire On The Mountain" - The Marshall Tucker Band 3:56
12. Boat Montage 2:20
Total Time: 45:10

Review
by Dan Goldwasser
on April 10th, 2005

After the box office bomb Raise the Titanic sank in 1980, author Clive Cussler said he would never let anyone make a feature film with his beloved "Dirk Pitt" character again. Obviously things changed, because now we have Sahara. And while some things have been significantly changed from the novel, the basic premise remains the same: explorer Dirk Pitt (Matthew McConaughey) is on the hunt for a Confederate Ironsides which he believes is in Africa, having escaped during the end of the Civil War. Meanwhile a WHO doctor (Penelope Cruz) is trying to find the source of a plague in the same area of Africa. Their paths cross, and an adventure begins in the Sahara Desert.

The soundtrack is replete with pop songs - most of them even showed up in the film. From "Stay With Me" by The Faces, to standards like "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Magic Carpet Ride", the songs don't really serve the film except to provide filler music. There was even a point where a sequence that was ripe for an orchestral score cue was instead covered with Dr. John's "Right Place Wrong Time". That isn't to say that there was no score - in fact, Clint Mansell's score was quite good, in a big orchestral James Bond kind of way. Unfortunately, the album doesn't even give us a taste of that, instead providing us with the African percussion (and vocal) filled "Boat Montage".

As this is a "Music from and Inspired By" album, there are a few "bonus" track which have nothing to do with the film other than "thematic tone". "In a Foreign Land" by The Kings (because they're in Africa), "On the Road Again" by Canned Heat (because it's a traveling song), "Time Loves a Hero" by Little Feat (because Dirk Pitt is a hero). Not really sure why "Fire on the Mountain" by The Marshall Tucker Band and "I'm On Fire" by Dwight Twilley are here - but they have the word "fire" in there, so that must be something!

Let's face it - this album is a disappointment. I would have been happier if the filmmakers had used the songs sparingly and appropriately in the film, but they didn't. I would have been happier if the album had dropped songs not in the film, and replaced them with more score, which was in the film. Unfortunately, no one wins in this case.

user posted image

This post has been edited by (R) on Apr 17 2005, 06:37 AM
Giordino13
Posted: Apr 15 2005, 09:58 PM

Master Explorer

Member No.: 5,945

I can't wait to buy it!! I loved the soundtrack in the movie!! pirate.gif
oswalder
Posted: Apr 16 2005, 05:02 AM

Special Projects

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 3,162

I agree that the score really was pretty good and was unfortunately overshadowed by the rock songs. Some of them seemed to play a lot longer in their respective movie scene than I expected them to, but some of them did add to the movie as well. I also agree that it would have been nice to keep the released soundtrack closer to what was actually included in the movie, but maybe they'll have this "music from and inspired by" CD first and then release a "score" CD later.

I think in regards to the song "Right Place, Wrong Time", doesn't it take place during the credits or am I being forgetful? If it is the credits, then I think it is trying to set the tone for the movie. Where a nice score might set up the movie to be more serious than it can honestly be taken for, a classic rock song let's you know that what's to follow is going to be a "fun romp" rather than something real or serious. Just a thought.

This post has been edited by oswalder on Apr 16 2005, 05:23 AM
Ta16uva
Posted: Apr 16 2005, 09:42 PM

Jedi Master

Member No.: 569

Sold out at my local Barnes & Nobles, Best Buy, and Target!
Foss Gly
Posted: Apr 16 2005, 10:45 PM

Actual Photo

Member No.: 34

Also not available on iTunes yet...
Giordino13
Posted: May 8 2005, 05:39 PM

Master Explorer

Member No.: 5,945

I just bought the soundtrack, and I love it. I think the songs chosen for the movie were incredibly appropriate for the scenes, such as "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Right Place Wrong Time." I'm thoroughly impressed!! thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
Kellym
Posted: May 9 2005, 02:33 PM

Life Member

Member No.: 379

Still not available locally here blink.gif
tonym5
Posted: May 10 2005, 05:46 AM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

I don't mean to be too critical but most soundtracks suck and some movies have way too much music involved. In the movie, 'Sleepless in Seattle' the music was very distracting despite a well done movie. The only movies that I actually enjoy the soundtracks are Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Flashdance, Terminator.
CCfansince1976
Posted: May 11 2005, 09:17 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,459

QUOTE (tonym5 @ May 10 2005, 05:46 AM)
I don't mean to be too critical but most soundtracks suck and some movies have way too much music involved. In the movie, 'Sleepless in Seattle' the music was very distracting despite a well done movie. The only movies that I actually enjoy the soundtracks are Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Flashdance, Terminator.

Might I suggest "Raise the Titanic" if you're looking for a good score (that couldn't save a bad movie). There IS a difference between "soundtracks" and "scoretracks"... most music from soundtracks have very little to do with the movie they're "Inspired by". smile.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Movies ... Sahara ; Raise the Titanic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1564 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara