Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Sahara Survey
coach2709
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 04:00 AM

coach2709

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,564

I posted this survey in the Society of the Cusslermen site but unfortunately a certain pushy arrogant and rude person (Ok it was Nick Kitt which I think some of you know) posted some comments which got the thread removed.

Hopefully the survey will fare better on here that it did over there.

Please reply by choosing one of the following

A : Sahara is a great movie
B : Sahara is a good movie
C : Sahara is a decent movie
D : Sahara is a bad movie
E : Sahara is a terrible movie

1 : Sahara followed the book
2 : Sahara somewhat followed the book
3 : Sahara barely followed the book
4 : Sahara did not follow the book

a : The characters in the movie are the same as the characters in the book
b : The characters in the movie were close to the characters in the book
c : The characters in the movie were somewhat like the characters in the book
d : The characters in the movie were nothing like the characters in the book

Just reply back and feel free to comment if you feel like wave.gif

This post has been edited by coach2709 on Nov 15 2007, 04:01 AM
tonym5
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 06:11 AM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

Okay, I'm game. B, 3, b
The Ghost Who Walks
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 08:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,762

Decent sounds the same as good, but if it is a rung below good I will say C for Q1.

I would say 3 for Q2 as some elements of the book appeared in the movie, but were very much truncated.

For Q3 I vote for C as Al was just NOT Al! blink.gif
DirkPitt
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 04:59 PM

Special Projects Director
Group Icon

Group: CCForum ADMIN
Member No.: 1

b 3 d beersmilie.gif
oswalder
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 06:28 PM

Special Projects

Member No.: 3,162

B : Sahara is a good movie

2 : Sahara somewhat followed the book

c : The characters in the movie were somewhat like the characters in the book
[SOME characters (Dirk) were somewhat like the characters in the book, others (Rudi) were NOTHING like the characters in the book]

Hey Tony, could you maybe turn this into an actual survey so that the results are calculated and whatnot? It'll be hard to have to read through 20 responses. detective.gif
coach2709
Posted: Nov 16 2007, 03:46 AM

coach2709

Member No.: 7,564

Tony I don't care to do the work to figure up the final results but if you could turn this into a real survey that would be cool and it could keep going on for a longer period of time.

I don't know how to turn it into a real survey but if you tell me how I can do it.

Thanks
Empress
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 03:06 AM

Shipwreck Empress

Member No.: 3,331

B 3 D
loren1
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 07:22 PM

loren1

Member No.: 48

c 3 c. Ya, we all know about nick kitt. A blight on the internet world. smile.gif
DirkPitt
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 05:10 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (coach2709 @ Nov 16 2007, 11:46 AM)
Tony I don't care to do the work to figure up the final results but if you could turn this into a real survey that would be cool and it could keep going on for a longer period of time.

I don't know how to turn it into a real survey but if you tell me how I can do it.

Thanks

Since you ask 3 different questions, there would have to be 3 seperate polls in 3 different topics.

If you wish to start a poll, I've added the poll feature to this forum. Choose one of your questions and start one poll. You can get your other questions in more polls at a later date.
northwest truefan
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 04:12 PM

Member No.: 7,997

A 2 c

I’m pretty new to this site, and to forums in general, but out of curiosity I clicked the “New Poll” button at the top of this screen and got an error message. It seems like a good survey to cast a net on in any case.

I thought Sahara was a great movie that really stands alone from the book. I’m a sucker for big action flicks, and really thought this one scored on every level. I was really surprised that it did so poorly at the box office, and wonder if they should have filtered down the more grandiose ideas even more to appeal to a larger audience. Now obviously, grandiose ideas are part and parcel of all of Clive Cussler’s books, but big budget movies aren’t for the Cussler faithful alone. Purists may have screamed, “There’s no Abraham Lincoln, nothing about the woman aviator who crashed in the desert, and there was loads more left out!” But you know what? As cool as those concepts are in CC’s books, audiences would have been rolling their eyes at seeing Lincoln buried in Africa, and if they crammed any more information or characters into the film it would have been an over-burdened mess. Books have to be trimmed down if they’re to fit into a 2 hour movie, and I thought the screenwriter did a pretty good job at selecting what needed to get left out to help the film flow.

I thought the casting of Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt was excellent. He embodied a little more of a lazy goof than Dirk, though, and you almost never saw him with Dirk’s fierce gaze when he’s been pushed too far. But he’s handsome, tough, and always relaxed, which is close as you're likely to get with a film casting. I can totally understand fans of the book being annoyed with Steve Zahn as Al, as they are polar opposites in appearance. But I actually really liked Zahn in the role, and thought he did a phenomenal job at it. He’s a good actor and played a great partner to McConaughey. His comic relief during the whole film was outstanding; the scene when he said he’d take care of the bill at the café brought a good laugh out of me. His lack of Al’s bulk was compensated by scenes of combat brilliance. He defended with a gun well, drove skillfully, and disabled a bomb. The scene when they were surrounded by the desert tribes and Zahn reluctantly discarded a hidden arsenal of firearms was hysterical, plus demonstrated that he’s not a guy you’d want to mess with.

I agree with an earlier post that Rudi was miscast, and shouldn’t have been made into the moron they portrayed him in the film. As much as I love William Macy, I thought either his casting or the treatment of Sandecker were also out of kilter. Macy, who has played weak effeminate characters in other films (think Fargo), in the role of proud Adm. Sandecker never clicked. Seeing him chewing on those oversized cigars was just…….not right.

Anyway, the movie bombed when it came out and the Dirk Pitt series of films probably died with it (helped by a lawsuit or two). But I bought the DVD when it came out and think it stands alone as an excellent adventure.
DirkPitt
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 12:05 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (northwest truefan @ Nov 19 2007, 12:12 AM)
I’m pretty new to this site, and to forums in general, but out of curiosity I clicked the “New Poll” button at the top of this screen and got an error message.

I just changed your membership status on the forum. You shouldn't get that error message now.
Andy in West Oz
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 03:33 AM

I think I've broken the avatar upload!

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 7,204

B, 3, C/D for me. Enjoyed the film but they missed soooo much out of the book but at least the main characters' names were the same and DP loved old cars! laugh.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Movies ... Sahara ; Raise the Titanic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1536 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara