InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

19th century shipwreck found in Lake Ontario
Antipodean Andy
Posted: Aug 27 2009, 11:17 PM

I think I've broken the avatar upload!

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 7,204

These guys are the ones who found the HMS Ontario last year. I imagine the location of this wreck was determined when looking for the Ontario. The lakes must be amazing places. I've only been along the shore of one (and can't remember which one) but that picture in my memory always give the impression of an inland sea.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=11004008

OAK ORCHARD, N.Y. (AP) - Two upstate New York underwater explorers have discovered a 19th-century steamer that caught fire and sank in southern Lake Ontario with a cargo of 600 tons of iron wire.

Jim Kennard and Dan Scoville discovered the Samuel F. Hodge in 2007 while using sonar to search for another vessel. The previously unknown wreck was found in several hundred feet of water just west of Rochester.

This year, the divers returned with a remotely operated vehicle to explore the site. The wreck had no nameplate. But by using measurements and photographs to search shipwreck databases, they determined it was the Hodge.

The Buffalo-based steamer was traveling from Cleveland to Prescott, Ontario when it caught fire and sank in July 1896. Except for one man, the crew was saved by a passing ship.

This post has been edited by Antipodean Andy on Aug 27 2009, 11:20 PM
Antipodean Andy
Posted: Aug 30 2009, 01:07 AM

I think I've broken the avatar upload!

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 7,204

A bit more and comment from the hunters.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1111135.shtml?cat=565

It disappeared into the waters of Lake Ontario more than a hundred years ago-- and now a shipwrecked steamer has been found by two local explorers near Oak Orchard in Orleans County.

"It's history that's right in our own backyard, from a hundred years ago," shipwreck explorer Dan Scoville said. "It's like a time capsule."

Scoville and shipwreck explorer Jim Kennard found the giant steamer hundreds of feet below the surface of Lake Ontario, encrusted with zebra mussels and covered in silt.

"We were able to find the anchors and the propellers in place, and the rudder," Scoville said. "And we can see the ship's boiler, and the smokestack for the ship is laying next to it."

Scoville and Kennard discovered the wreck with sonar while looking for a different ship.

They sent a machine called a remote operated vehicle down to the bottom to take photos.

"It's a little square robot," Scoville said. "It has four cameras, and four lights, and four thrusters...which are little propellers for underwater."

The ROV helped them find clues to piece together the ship's identity.

"You have to be kind of like a shipwreck detective and use all the parts and pieces you can see or measure, and then go back to the original documents of the ship and match them up," Kennard said.

The ship was nearly 150 feet long and 30 feet wide, and they identified it as the Samuel F. Hodge.

Built in 1881, the steamer was carrying 600 tons of iron wire from Cleveland to Prescott, Ontario when it caught on fire and the crew abandoned ship.

"The fire burned it pretty close to the water line, and so everything above that is pretty much burned and gone," Scoville said. "But everything that was below the water line or close to the water line still remains just like it was when it went down."

Working together, Scoville and Kennard have found about a dozen shipwrecks--each one, a new piece of history.

"A lot of time goes by sometimes before you do find a shipwreck," Kennard said, "but when you do find one...it's really a thrill."

Scoville and Kennard are currently working on another shipwreck they've found in Lake Ontario.

They say they could make an announcement about that ship's identity later this year.
loren1
Posted: Aug 30 2009, 01:58 AM

loren1

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 48

My step-son and his father-in-law have their boats at Oak Orchard every year. It's only about 25 miles from here. Can't beat our lake for shipwrecks. laugh.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Special Projects | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0818 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara