InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Captain Jack
tonym5
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 03:14 AM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

April 22, 2000. Ben Reid watched as the casket was lowered into the ground. The silvery casket shone in the sunlight as the casket slid down the metal rods into the vault where his grandfather, Britt Reid was to be laid permanently. Only 18 years old, Ben Reid felt the wave of sadness overcome him again. Three men disassembled the metal structure and then picked up the shovels to thrown dirt into the ground. Marian, his Mother was asked if she wanted to help. She shook her head negatively. Lillian, his sister declined as well. When the gray haired director of the Cemetery asked him if he wanted to help, Ben walked over and grabbed the fourth shovel and scooped four shovelfuls before he gave up and laid it down. Later in the afternoon at the funeral home, Mr. Rather the funeral director explained that he had the will and asked if any of the family cared to read the will aloud. Nobody replied. "Very well, then, I shall begin" and as he read the will, stating certain sums of money were allocated among the family and various accounts. Finally, "There is a large envelop with a letter included that is to be read only by Ben Reid himself and it is from his father, whom as you know disappeared some years ago" Everyone stood and shook hands with the Funeral Director and thanked him for taking care of the details. Carrying the large envelop in one hand, Ben walked out of the funeral home and they got into the car that was to be driven by Lois, a friend of Marian's. Later, Ben put the envelop in his bedroom under the mattress.
tonym5
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 03:26 AM

Alvin, Ben's best friend called after supper and asked if Ben was in the mood to go outside and talk. Ben agreed and walked silently with Alvin down the street. They walked on for several blocks before Alvin asked, "Is there anything you want to do or talk about, Ben?" 'I guess we could just walk around town a bit and then go to the park" replied Ben. Later, sitting on the swings in the little kids section Alvin said, "Your girlfriend, Phyllis, called me and asked if you were interested in talking to her anytime soon" Ben couldn't muster a reply but saw the trail over on the edge of the park. "Let's go on the trail. You have your cellphone? Call your Mom and let her know we are going hiking for the evening".
tonym5
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 03:57 AM

Alvin and Ben walked on into the night watching the Sun make it's descent towards the west and then the darkness enveloped them. "Are we walking all night, my friend?" Alvin asked. "Yes" replied Ben. It was barely a week before when Britt Reid passed away and not having his father, Harrison Carter Reid around for the past 7 years Ben felt like he was adrift. Still uncertain of what he was going to do after graduation from Cooper City High School, Ben now knew he had the money that he needed for College. The thing was he had no idea of what he wanted to do as a career. 'Your grandfather had money, didn't he? After all, he was the Publisher of the Newspaper. Do you get the Newspaper or does it go into the hands of the management?" "It has been left to me but only after I have completed College and work my way up the ladder, according to the will. But the thing is I do not know if I want to be a Newsman like my Grandfather. I have no idea want I want to do" They coninued on for awhile in silence. Somewhere around Three in the morning Alvin asked, "Do you remember telling me what you wanted to do just before we entered kindergarten?" 'yeah, I think I do. I wanted to be a Superhero. All those cartoons we watched, the comic books we read and collected" It was nearly dawn when they turned around and walked back toards Cooper City. The sun was up and about mid-morning they came back into town. When Ben entered the back door and found his Mother, Sister and a strange man sitting at the table in the kitchen. "Ben, it's about time you got home" said his mother in a stern voice. "Why in this world did you not tell us you were off hiking all night long" Taken aback, Ben found his voice, "Because I needed the time to think" and suddenly he realized his voice had changed. "Ben, I am a counselor for the Board of Education. My name is Earl Conover and it is apparent that you could use some counseling having just lost your Grandfather and after disappearing for several hours last night. Would you mind if we talk in my office in about an hour, please?" "If it will make you happy Mr. Conover but honestly after my trek last night I have decided upon my future and feel it is unnecessary to discuss it with a counselor"
tonym5
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 04:24 AM

After hearing his Mother tell him that he needed to see Mr. Conover, Ben ascented and did not tell Mr. Conover much except that he was going to College and that he was going to stay on the straight and narrow course of a career. How be it in a strange way Ben thought. He was going to attend Harrison Cooper College and study Psychology and Law Enforcement. Then in his own way he was going to carve up the underside of the criminal element. Along with studying Psychology and Law Enforcement he was also going to study heroes and superheroes. Later that night before falling asleep he read the contents of the envelop and the story his grandfather, Britt Reid told, was shocking and only confirmned the path he had decided upon. Just thinking that his one Grandfather, Britt Reid and another story about the Texas Ranger named Dan Reid was shocking. The next day he went to the library and asked if they had a shredder. "Yes, we do have one, Ben and you can use it" replied Barbara the Senior Librarian. Shreddding the letter from his Grandfather, Britt Reid, was the only way to keep the secret.
tonym5
Posted: Jan 12 2011, 04:44 AM

Less than a week after Ben graduated from Cooper City High School a NUMA Boat appeared in the Little Miami River, the name of the Boat was The Ebenezer Reid. Ben was curious about the name and decided to ask about it. Walking up the gangplank to the Ebenezer Reid, Ben encountered a tall man with a graying beard who stepped out of the wheelhouse. "Hello, there young man, may I help you?" asked the gray haired Captain. "Hello, my name is Ben Reid. My grandfather was Britt Reid. Britt's father was John Reid. John's father was Marion Reid. Marion's father was Ebenezer Reid. Is it possible that this ship is named after my ancestor?" With a hearty laugh the gray haired Captain finally calmed down and said, "Why yes, young man, this ship is indeed named after your ancestor, Ebenezer Reid. Ebenezer Reid was a fine Gentleman and a sturdy Captain himself. One of the best and we at NUMA named this fine ship after him. My name is Captain Jack Darrow and welcome aboard this fine NUMA Ship".
tonym5
Posted: Jan 15 2011, 04:30 PM

After spending several hours listening to Captain Jack's stories and learning about NUMA, Ben knew what he wanted to do. Returning home Ben informed his mother that NUMA was interested in helping finance Ben's College education. "I thought you wanted to study Law Enforcement here at Harrison Cooper University, Ben? What changed your mind?" "After listening to Captain Jack talk so passionately about working on the waters most of his life, I saw a future in studying our Planet's environment and that is more important for our survival in the future" Ben spent the next few days taking care of the details before going off to spend the summer with NUMA before going to College in the fall.
tonym5
Posted: Feb 24 2011, 06:27 PM

After finishing College Ben Cooper spent several years with NUMA until Captain Jack retired. "Thank you for offering me a job Mr. Pitt but I intend to return to my hometown and apply my training here at NUMA to keep the Little Miami River and it's watershed a protected environment" "Well, young man, I am not surprised to hear you say that but it is a great loss to NUMA and I am proud to have worked with you. You have come a long way, Ben and it was a pleasure having you with us. Take care and stay safe"
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | FAN Fiction | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1306 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara