InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The eerie timeliness of Cussler tales, Seems as if he's done it once again?
householdrob
Posted: Feb 3 2011, 11:27 PM

Dive Bum

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 626

I know this must have already crossed some of your minds. In the past there have been a number of threads about the strange 'prophecies' some books seem to have fortold. Coincidence is more like it, though the number of times this has happened gives one pause for reflection. Whether it's an uncanny ability for understanding current events or just us excitable fans making the shoe fit (or a little bit of both), it strikes me as odd how timely they often are.

I give you exhibit A; Crescent Dawn's Arab uprising. With the recent overthrow of the Tunisian government, Egypt's unfolding crisis, and protests throughout areas of the Middle East that have been relatively stable for years it seems as if the whole region is poised for upheaval. Egypt, a muslim country rich with Arab as well as Roman history and a longtime US ally is similar to Turkey in this respect, and while there's no second coming of the Ottoman Empire, the last time the region as a whole was this unstable was when T.E. Lawrence aided the Arabs in defeating the Ottoman Turks during the Arab Revolt of World War I. And similar to the theft of artifacts from the Istanbul museum, it was reported today that there has been looting and significant damage to mummies and antiquities in Egypts museums.

So, slightly prophetic, inevitable coincidence given the instability of the region, or does any of this even count considering Clive's mostly passed the writing duties on? Then again, there was the Japanese mini-sub found at Pearl Harbor (Black Wind), as well as the discovery of the Franklin Rescue ship HMS Investigator (Arctic Drift). Cue Twilight Zone music...
tonym5
Posted: Feb 4 2011, 04:17 AM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

Personally I believe it's a confluence of both reality/fiction that is influencing Human history and our place in the future that we are heading towards. So let's buckle in folks because we are heading towards a time that will be both good and bad. pirate.gif
DirkPitt
Posted: Feb 5 2011, 02:18 AM

Special Projects Director
Group Icon

Group: CCForum ADMIN
Member No.: 1

I've been thinking the same thing lately about Cussler's forsight, but in relation to Polar Shift. Check out the story below:

Magnetic Pole Shift Forces Runway Closure At Florida Airport

The shifting of the planet's northern magnetic pole forced Tampa International Airport to readjust their runways on Thursday, according to a report by Jeremy A. Kaplan of Foxnews.com.

Kaplan reports that the shifting of the Earth's magnetic fields, spurred by the drifting of the north pole towards Russia, has prompted officials at the Florida airport to shut down their primary runway until January 13. The temporary closure will give them time to change their taxiway signs to account for the magnetic changes, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) officials told Fox News.

"The poles are generated by movements within the Earth's inner and outer cores, though the exact process isn't exactly understood. They're also constantly in flux, moving a few degrees every year, but the changes are almost never of such a magnitude that runways require adjusting," Kaplan reported, citing FAA spokesman Paul Takemoto as a source.

The runway's listing on aviation charts will be changed from 18R/36L (representing 180-degree approach from the north and the 360-degree approach from the south) to 19R/1L, according to various media sources

more ... http://www.redorbit.com/news/oddities/1975...lorida_airport/
Joe Hopasagabus
Posted: Feb 6 2011, 06:30 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (householdrob @ Feb 3 2011, 11:27 PM)
I know this must have already crossed some of your minds. In the past there have been a number of threads about the strange 'prophecies' some books seem to have fortold. Coincidence is more like it, though the number of times this has happened gives one pause for reflection. Whether it's an uncanny ability for understanding current events or just us excitable fans making the shoe fit (or a little bit of both), it strikes me as odd how timely they often are.

I give you exhibit A; Crescent Dawn's Arab uprising. With the recent overthrow of the Tunisian government, Egypt's unfolding crisis, and protests throughout areas of the Middle East that have been relatively stable for years it seems as if the whole region is poised for upheaval. Egypt, a muslim country rich with Arab as well as Roman history and a longtime US ally is similar to Turkey in this respect, and while there's no second coming of the Ottoman Empire, the last time the region as a whole was this unstable was when T.E. Lawrence aided the Arabs in defeating the Ottoman Turks during the Arab Revolt of World War I. And similar to the theft of artifacts from the Istanbul museum, it was reported today that there has been looting and significant damage to mummies and antiquities in Egypts museums.

So, slightly prophetic, inevitable coincidence given the instability of the region, or does any of this even count considering Clive's mostly passed the writing duties on? Then again, there was the Japanese mini-sub found at Pearl Harbor (Black Wind), as well as the discovery of the Franklin Rescue ship HMS Investigator (Arctic Drift). Cue Twilight Zone music...

Very unlikely and empty hyperbole on your part.

"The midget submarine attacked by Ward (DD-139) at 06:37 a.m. on 7 December was located in 400 meters of water five miles outside Pearl Harbor by a University of Hawaii research submersible on 28 August 2002."

Since BLACK WIND was published in 2004, it certainly isn't a prophecy.

As to the HMS INVESTIGATOR:

"HMS Investigator was a merchant ship purchased in 1848 to search for Sir John Franklin's lost expedition. She made two voyages to the Arctic and had to be abandoned in 1853 after becoming trapped in the ice. Her wreckage was found in July 2010 on Banks Island, in the Beaufort Sea.[3] She was the fourth ship of the Royal Navy to bear the name."

"The timing of the Investigator discovery could not have been more convenient. For years, efforts have been underway among a handful of dedicated Canadian politicians and historians to gain support for searches to be initiated for the purpose of discovering and salvaging the ships of the Franklin Expedition. These dedicated few had argued that by salvaging the ships, they could be used to showcase Arctic history and Canada's historic claims to the region."

The fact is they knew where it was all along, just couldn't get to it. So, it certainly wasn't a prophecy that they found it, just a matter of time or, in this case, waiting for the ice to thaw.

And, as you so aptly put it, it was the very instability of Middle East to account for any situation in the region. It is hardly any prediction on Clive Cussler's part that would account for anything significent in terms of actually predicting events that were, for all intents and purposes, already beginning to happen way before the publication of the novel.
householdrob
Posted: Feb 6 2011, 10:27 PM

Dive Bum

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 626

QUOTE (Joe Hopasagabus @ Feb 6 2011, 06:30 PM)
The fact is they knew where it was all along, just couldn't get to it. So, it certainly wasn't a prophecy that they found it, just a matter of time or, in this case, waiting for the ice to thaw.

And, as you so aptly put it, it was the very instability of Middle East to account for any situation in the region. It is hardly any prediction on Clive Cussler's part that would account for anything significent in terms of actually predicting events that were, for all intents and purposes, already beginning to happen way before the publication of the novel.

Well sir,

I would begin by saying this isn't a rebuttle, simply because there is no arguement to refute. The very nature of your post illustrates that you misunderstood the playful tongue-in-cheek intent of mine.

If you are someone who groans between clenched teeth or utters things like "impossible!" when reading a Cussler novel, then I fully understand where your irritation comes from, and I wish you luck in your anger management classes. Let me take your hand and show you what I mean though, as I can see it is necessary.

If my headline to this topic had been "The next Nostradamus?", you may have been more justified in your response, as you seem to actually believe I was calling Clive Cussler a prophet. This is a fun playful forum and we like to hypothesize on all sorts of things, hence the sheer amount of fan fiction written over the years.

I served eight years in the military and am an archaeologist by schooling and an underwater archaeologist by hobby, thus my sheer belief in everything grounded in science and what I can see; I do not believe in the boogeyman. I no more believe that Cussler can predict the future (or Nostradamus for that matter), than I think any significant event will happen in 2012. I was remarking on the odd coincidence that infrequently, events used as vehicles in Cussler books seem - to some extent - to manifest themselves in reality. A fact attributed to him and his 'authors' firm grasp on current events, the sheer volume of Cussler titles being published, as well as our abilities as fans to link the two together. If pressed I would say it's sheer coincidence, but we have fun with it.

You sir, might as well go to a corporate Christmas party and scream "Santa isn't real!" at Kris Kringle, as you would get the same reactions for your ineptitude at taking everything at face value. Ever heard the phrase 'maturity is subtlety'? Forgive my inability to be subtle with you but like I said, it was necessary.

By the way, the Japanese midget sub I was talking about was discovered in 2009.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/07/j...o_n_383249.html

Leave your vitriol and ignorance on other Cussler boards Nick Kitt, and leave us alone.

Cheers beersmilie.gif

tonym5
Posted: Feb 6 2011, 10:39 PM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

2012 is more than just ancient prophecy it is also coinciding with celestial events like the large solar coronas that occur every few thousand years that has had some effect on Earth. Hell, I knew about this mini sub before it was found in 2009 because it was well known that the Japs had both Aerial, Ships and mini subs as part of their attack on Pearl Harbor.
DirkPitt
Posted: Feb 8 2011, 09:34 PM

Special Projects Director
Group Icon

Group: CCForum ADMIN
Member No.: 1

Now I'm upset! The Cussler Code 2, which has been written but remains unpublished, incorporates some of Cussler's prophecies. After reading Joe's post, I'm not so sure he'll want to read it when it finally comes out. sad.gif
Joe Hopasagabus
Posted: Feb 18 2011, 01:12 AM

Unregistered

QUOTE (householdrob @ Feb 6 2011, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Hopasagabus @ Feb 6 2011, 06:30 PM)

And, as you so aptly put it, it was the very instability of  Middle East to account for any situation in the region. It is hardly any prediction on Clive Cussler's part that would account for anything significent in terms of actually predicting events that were, for all intents and purposes, already beginning to happen way before the publication of the novel.

Well sir,

I would begin by saying this isn't a rebuttle, simply because there is no arguement to refute. The very nature of your post illustrates that you misunderstood the playful tongue-in-cheek intent of mine.

If you are someone who groans between clenched teeth or utters things like "impossible!" when reading a Cussler novel, then I fully understand where your irritation comes from, and I wish you luck in your anger management classes. Let me take your hand and show you what I mean though, as I can see it is necessary.

If my headline to this topic had been "The next Nostradamus?", you may have been more justified in your response, as you seem to actually believe I was calling Clive Cussler a prophet. This is a fun playful forum and we like to hypothesize on all sorts of things, hence the sheer amount of fan fiction written over the years.

I served eight years in the military and am an archaeologist by schooling and an underwater archaeologist by hobby, thus my sheer belief in everything grounded in science and what I can see; I do not believe in the boogeyman. I no more believe that Cussler can predict the future (or Nostradamus for that matter), than I think any significant event will happen in 2012. I was remarking on the odd coincidence that infrequently, events used as vehicles in Cussler books seem - to some extent - to manifest themselves in reality. A fact attributed to him and his 'authors' firm grasp on current events, the sheer volume of Cussler titles being published, as well as our abilities as fans to link the two together. If pressed I would say it's sheer coincidence, but we have fun with it.

You sir, might as well go to a corporate Christmas party and scream "Santa isn't real!" at Kris Kringle, as you would get the same reactions for your ineptitude at taking everything at face value. Ever heard the phrase 'maturity is subtlety'? Forgive my inability to be subtle with you but like I said, it was necessary.

By the way, the Japanese midget sub I was talking about was discovered in 2009.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/07/j...o_n_383249.html

Leave your vitriol and ignorance on other Cussler boards Nick Kitt, and leave us alone.

Cheers beersmilie.gif

Perhaps, although I find it an convenient "rebuttal" to say that everything was "tongue and cheek" when presented with logic and facts. Of course I find many things in a Clive Cussler novel to be impossible which makes your claim,whether "tongue in cheek" or not, all the more implausible on yours, or Mr Cussler's, part. But I will take it on face value that was not the author's intent no matter how fanciful the reader may feel in Mr Cussler's predictive abilities or any reader's desire to speculate about it., even if he does so for comical effect which was the case here. However, for the sake of accuracy, I was just making sure you were not getting carried away with yourself.

It is refreshing to note that your military and archaeological credentials would preclude you from actually considering Mr Cussler as any kind of prophet. And, one would hope that any author who wishes to present an authentic thriller in this day and age would have some kind of "grasp" on the world at large. It is Mr Cussler's bending of geographical and physical laws that make that "grasp" so to speak,suspect. But it does not take away from the enjoyment of the novel unless there was deliberate misrepresentation, which would suggest a not so firm grasp, as you put it.

By all means, enjoy the books as you see fit. Just understand what they are and what they aren't, if you can do so with any certainty.

Despite you claim about the sub and the one you actually meant does not take away the fact that a Japanese mini sub WAS discovered in those waters before the publication of Black Wind,again making your statement devoid of any "errie timelessness".

Once again, I am not Nick Kitt. I disagree with him on some things and agree with him on others. One thing I DO agree with him on is giving credit where credit is due. My response to your post was exactly that, no more, no less.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Clive Cussler | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1048 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara