InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

John Carter
Mostly Heep
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 01:39 AM

Life Member

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 355

Who's seen this movie?
Who's read the book it's based on?
What did you think of it?

I've been a Burroughs fan for almost 40 years and A Princess of Mars is one of my most read books(along with Tarzan)...I've been reading the reviews including the negative ones but decided to make up my own mind and went into the theater with an open mind.
I wasn't disappointed at all. All the characters are there,even with the small bit of back story,they incorporated all the unique aspects of the book that makes it a favorite read.
Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas was great, Sola was a great surprise as I thought that would have been a part of the book deemed unnecessary to the film.
I was smiling at all the little bits that they did put in there,and spent a lot of the movie muttering *they got it right* as those bits were revealed.

All in all an awesome movie that should be a hit but like Sahara wont be unfortunately........it needs a sequel

I haven't seen any merchandise, which would really be cool. I'd love a t-shirt or something
Ace Roberts
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 01:28 PM

Ace Roberts

Group: Members
Member No.: 918

I've been a fan for years. I followed several artists who "tried" to get the film done, and failed. People like Kerry Conran who did Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - and even the founder of Aint it Cool News - Harry Knowles failed. So when I heard that one of Pixar's top creative geniuses was behind the film, I was ecstatic. Pixar rarely fails - and always puts story first. But the first hint of issues surfaced almost 10 months ago when the decision was made to remove Pixar's name from the film. Then they decided to change the name of the film - from John Carter of Mars to John Carter. What??? If you know anything about behind-the-scenes /pre-production kinds of things - these are usually an indication of the kiss of death. When a studio or a top named director/producer pulls their name - or changes the title of an iconic book - look out.

Here's the deal. The film was actually decent. Not great - but certainly not the massive dud it became at the box office. It was - however - the worst marketing job in history. Nobody knew what the film was about. The trailers were horrible. There was NO buzz about the film. For some reason - I have read - Andrew Stanton chose not to use his name or past success (Finding Nemo - Wall-e) to sale the film. Why? Early estimates have the film losing $200M. Yikes! Sound familiar? I feel so bad - because the film could have had a great series of follow-ups. Nobody knows why some films succeed and others crash. Sahara falls in the same category - certainly a decent film - but one that was marketed wrong. On one other note - the soundtrack of John Carter by Michael Giacchino is perhaps his finest. Brilliant use of action sound - and symphonic blending.
tonym5
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 04:10 PM

Philosopher, Pirate, Poet, Poseidon & The Admiral

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 23

I intend to watch it with an open mind too. But anyone who withdraws their name/studio tells you a lot. No matter what product you put out you should be proud of it no matter if it does not measure up in your eyes or the audience's.
Foss Gly
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 02:54 AM

Actual Photo

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 34

I've yet to see it, but people I've talked to personally that have seen it either loved or hated it, no in-between. I've heard it adhered to the book (which sadly, I've never read) quite well, but have also heard that it was "Avatar" all over again.
It seems it's just one of those flicks you have to make up your own mind on, and ignore reviews. I'm going to try and catch it before it leaves theatres, but if not, I'll have to settle for the 2D version on bluray/dvd,
Guest :Nick Kitt
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 07:40 PM

Unregistered

I also agree that JOHN CARTER was a great film and faithful to the material. One critic seemed to think one big reason the film did not do well was the title. It should have been JOHN CARTER OF MARS was his opinion or even the original title of the book itself. However, that very same critic went on to say that, for some bizarre reason, the word MARS in the titles always works against a film. For some reason, audiences do not associate MARS as indicative of an intelligent or exciting movie. Too bad. JOHN CARTER was excellent much like, dare I say it, SAHARA.
rowan
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 11:40 PM

rowan

Group: CCForum Member
Member No.: 293

I read the book years ago and don't remember the story well. The movie looks interesting and should be a good watch. BTW Mr. Gly-girl scout cookies are made from real girl scouts-but they are concentrated. sneener.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Topics | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1810 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara