InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Trying to find hard copies for my Dad.
thrillergirl20
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 04:30 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,132

Hi there fellow maritime adventure fans. I posted this question earlier in the wrong area, sorry, I'm a newbie with forums. I'm a big fan of CC (my Dad left so many copies lying around the house that it was impossible not to pick one up.) I've just finished reading two books back-to-back by an author named Shane M Brown, who apparently studied underwater archaeology but ended up writing novels instead. They both had heaps of diving/underwater type of adventure scenes, both were great reads, and I wondered if anyone on the forum knew where I could find a hardcopy of these books to give to my Dad? I read these on my laptop, but he doesn't like reading from a computer screen. The books I'm after are:

Plaza - http://tinyurl.com/PLAZAeBook

Fast - http://tinyurl.com/FASTKindleBook

The answer is probably right in front of me, but I can't see it. (Some of my friends recommended Matthew Reilly's books, but they're not as good as Brown's)

Thanks for reading this post!
Mikedadski
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:27 PM

Special Member

Member No.: 8,880

I've done some searching for your books in print but haven't been able to find them. But, that being said there are far more capable than me when it comes to searching and dealing w/the Internet.
thrillergirl20
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 11:01 PM

Hey, thanks so much for taking time to have a check. It just seems weird to me that a publisher would release an eBook version but no paperback when there is obviously such a large fan-base of people who like exactly that kind of novel. I think I'll just be sneaky and next time I'm around the folks house I'll download the first book (it's cheap) and leave it open on the screen for him. Maybe he'll find reading on the screen doesn't bother him so much once he gets caught up in the story like I did.

Thanks again for your help, and the other people who I see checked my thread to see if they could help.

Happy Reading!
Sean Ellis
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 03:45 AM

Adventure Novelist...no, really!

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 2,724

This is actually the new face of publishing. I did some research on this author and his books (they look very entertaining by the way...thanks for throwing some light on these) and it looks like they are either self-published or indie published. A lot of new small publishing houses are electing to skip the dead tree books altogether, since most sales for indie authors are digital.

I'm with you...I'd much rather still have a hunk of paper in hand, but this new model of publishing means that there are a lot of new great authors just waiting to be discovered...and it won't set you back nearly as much as a "real" book.
thrillergirl20
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 10:47 AM

Hi Sean,

Thanks so much for looking into this. Can I ask you a question or two? When you say 'Indie', that has nothing to do with Indiana Jones, right? I've heard that word used in relation to music, but never really with books.

I thought self-published books were when someone pays a printer to make their books when a normal publisher chooses not to. I remember hearing this was how Matthew Reilly began, so I assume self-publishing means something else now?

Sorry for for sounding like such a Luddite, but I just don't understand how an electronic version of the book can exist without the print version to begin with...am I making sense?

Thanks Again for replying,

Claire

Sean Ellis
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 08:24 PM

Adventure Novelist...no, really!

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 2,724

Claire,
That's exactly how it used to be. They called it "vanity press" because people who couldn't get published traditionally would have to pay thousands of dollars to do it themselves. And yes, that's exactly how Matt Reilly got started. Even in the old days, there were quality authors who couldn't catch a break from the corporate publishing machine, but found a way to make their own magic.

But all that has changed with the digital age. Just like indie music, it's now very easy to get a book published. There are a lot of small pubishing houses (which I call "indies") just like there are a lot of small record labels putting out music for local artists. A lot of authors have also chosen to do it themselves, and the most cost effective way for them to do it is with ebooks. Even quite a few midlist authors who've been dropped by their publishers are now going digital and having real success. There are still a lot of really bad authors self-publishing, but there are quite a few very professional authors (like the one you've discovered) who are putting out quality content. The bad part is that most of these books won't be printed on paper and it's tough for readers to discover them.

And no, nothing to do with Indiana Jones...although I'm an indie author and what I write is perfect for anyone who likes Indiana Jones...or Dirk Pitt.
thrillergirl20
Posted: May 3 2012, 04:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for the explanation, Sean. That explains some of the really... unusual eBooks I have seen for sale on Amazon. I understand what you mean now. I don't think the books I am after are 'Indie', or at least, I didn't have the sense that they were produced by just one person. I had the sense they were either some 'known' writer using another name or some newly published author who I hadn't yet discovered.

However, having said that, I just visited your site and saw the cover of Dark Trinity. Wow. Such a lush cover. So does that mean you did that cover yourself? That looks great.

I also received a tip on another forum (a fansite), that sometimes eBooks can be purchased from places like LuLu, but otherwise have no hard-copies on the shelves. Good for the environment, I suppose. I think I'll follow that lead up.

Thanks again for the explanation. And can I ask, are all these eBooks appearing a good or bad thing for established writers?

All the best,

Claire
thrillergirl20
Posted: May 11 2012, 05:23 AM

Hi there. This question was addressed to everyone, so please, anyone with an opinion jump in! scheer.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Topics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1101 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara