Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Clive Cussler Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Iceberg, Dirk Pitt #3
oswalder
Posted: Jul 6 2005, 01:00 AM

Special Projects

Group: CCForum admin
Member No.: 3,162

I just finished rereading Iceberg and it is STILL one of my favorites. Not having Al in it, and the fact that it did get rather chatty at times, are not enough to take away from the fact that at least 5 of my most memorable scenes of all time come from this book. Some of the political incorrectness does date the book a little, but I have to give it at least a 9/10, and it will remain a Cussler classic in my mind for years to come.

Also, where in the book does it say Dirk gets to keep the Ford Tri-Motor? I know from future books that he has it, but can't find any reference to that in the actual book. Do future books explain how the plane came to be in his hangar? I can't remember.

Edit: Thanks to Helene's site I've narrowed it down to a reference in RTT that he purchased it while he was in Iceland. Great job, Helene! detective.gif

This post has been edited by oswalder on Jul 7 2005, 04:28 AM
matthew.miller04
Posted: Jul 8 2006, 06:30 PM

Group: members
Member No.: 7,464

This book lacked Al but it allowed Dirk to work alone and gave you a taste of actually how strong and complex of a character he is. Also Sandecker was great. Overall, not the best overall story but truly one of Dirk's better performances.
MrKABC
Posted: Jul 9 2006, 03:18 AM

Bougainville Maritime Employee

Group: Members
Member No.: 326

QUOTE (oswalder @ Jul 6 2005, 01:00 AM)
I just finished rereading Iceberg and it is STILL one of my favorites. Not having Al in it, and the fact that it did get rather chatty at times, are not enough to take away from the fact that at least 5 of my most memorable scenes of all time come from this book. Some of the political incorrectness does date the book a little, but I have to give it at least a 9/10, and it will remain a Cussler classic in my mind for years to come.

Also, where in the book does it say Dirk gets to keep the Ford Tri-Motor? I know from future books that he has it, but can't find any reference to that in the actual book. Do future books explain how the plane came to be in his hangar? I can't remember.

Edit: Thanks to Helene's site I've narrowed it down to a reference in RTT that he purchased it while he was in Iceland. Great job, Helene! detective.gif

It actually doesn't say in this book. There is a scene in "Raise the Titanic" book where Gene Seagram is pitching the Titanic project to Pitt, and the Ford Trimotor is re-introduced. Pitt said he "bought it at a fair price" in Iceland and had it shipped to Washington D.C..

My guess in the DP universe is around 1987.
Joseph
Posted: Aug 28 2006, 11:45 PM

Member No.: 7,532

I hate to say it, but this is probably my least favorite out of all of them. I didn't find Rodheim (Butera, whatever you want to call him) a strong villain and I really couldn't get into it. It would have been nice having Giordino in it, but you can't get everything.

Actually, this is probably the only book I really didn't like. I adored the others after I finished them.
Wolfman
Posted: Feb 20 2013, 02:19 PM

Special Member

Member No.: 9,254

Just finished "Iceberg". I noticed from what many said in their reviews that they missed Al. Ok, I can go along with that, but at the same time I found it rather interesting how Sandecker played a more major part of the story in this book.
Usually he's relegated to Washington and you get bits about him meeting with the President or playing the senior politician type role. I kinda liked how he played this one a little closer to Dirk, so I found that rather intriguing.
The book and story itself was solid and moved along very well. I would give this one a solid 9/10.
Mikedadski
Posted: Feb 21 2013, 12:58 AM

Special Member

Member No.: 8,880

QUOTE (Wolfman @ Feb 20 2013, 02:19 PM)
Just finished "Iceberg". I noticed from what many said in their reviews that they missed Al. Ok, I can go along with that, but at the same time I found it rather interesting how Sandecker played a more major part of the story in this book.
Usually he's relegated to Washington and you get bits about him meeting with the President or playing the senior politician type role. I kinda liked how he played this one a little closer to Dirk, so I found that rather intriguing.
The book and story itself was solid and moved along very well. I would give this one a solid 9/10.

I just re-read it as well. Enjoyable for sure. If Al would have been it, it would have been stronger. There were places that fit him being there for sure.
Wolfman
Posted: Feb 21 2013, 11:45 AM

Special Member

QUOTE (Mikedadski @ Feb 20 2013, 07:58 PM)

I just re-read it as well. Enjoyable for sure. If Al would have been it, it would have been stronger. There were places that fit him being there for sure.

Yes, I admit Mike, there certainly were places in the story Al would have fit in nicely. A good read none the less though. thumbsup.gif

Forgot to add that you can tell this book was one of his early ones as Dirk smokes cigarettes in this one.

This post has been edited by Wolfman on Feb 21 2013, 10:34 PM
Mikedadski
Posted: Feb 22 2013, 12:59 AM

Special Member

QUOTE (Wolfman @ Feb 21 2013, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (Mikedadski @ Feb 20 2013, 07:58 PM)

Yes, I admit Mike, there certainly were places in the story Al would have fit in nicely. A good read none the less though. thumbsup.gif

Forgot to add that you can tell this book was one of his early ones as Dirk smokes cigarettes in this one.

Forgot about that!! The earlier books didn't have the political correctness garbage in them either. Working on Night Probe now. Love it.
Wolfman
Posted: Feb 22 2013, 10:30 AM

Special Member

QUOTE (Mikedadski @ Feb 21 2013, 07:59 PM)

Forgot about that!! The earlier books didn't have the political correctness garbage in them either. Working on Night Probe now. Love it.

laugh.gif laugh.gif True about the political correctness. Kinda brought a smile to my face when I read about Dirk firing up a smoke. With the anti-smoking police out there it's a miracle the book wasn't called back to eliminate all traces of smoking before being put back on the shelf. laugh.gif laugh.gif
I can still remember the days I used to watch Johnny Carson and he'd be sitting there live and fire one up. The good ol days for sure. smile.gif
Mikedadski
Posted: Feb 23 2013, 01:20 AM

Special Member

Or like the old Dean Martin show! A drink and a smoke! beersmilie.gif beersmilie.gif beersmilie.gif beersmilie.gif
JuanitaC
Posted: Feb 23 2013, 04:24 PM

Special Member

Member No.: 8,938

All this criminalizing smokers is really annoying nowadays.
Also, here in Finland one goes buyng a bottle of wine while watching around that no neighbour or co- worker sees it....and anyway on friday evening eberybody is drunk....and hiding in a corner smoking. That is just sick. Our gouvernement just doesn`t get it, that the more they forbid things, the more people do it.
Ok, this is far out of topic, sorry guys ohmy.gif wink.gif
Wolfman
Posted: Feb 23 2013, 05:34 PM

Special Member

QUOTE (JuanitaC @ Feb 23 2013, 11:24 AM)
All this criminalizing smokers is really annoying nowadays.
Also, here in Finland one goes buyng a bottle of wine while watching around that no neighbour or co- worker sees it....and anyway on friday evening eberybody is drunk....and hiding in a corner smoking. That is just sick. Our gouvernement just doesn`t get it, that the more they forbid things, the more people do it.
Ok, this is far out of topic, sorry guys ohmy.gif wink.gif

No need to be sorry hun. It's nice to be able to talk to other members here. It is rather dumb these days with all the politically correct bullcrap going on. I was saying to a buddy just recently that the kids these days must find things pretty boring. You can't do anything anymore without getting in trouble or being judged.
Hell, it's a miracle I'm still alive with the crap we used to do...and get away with. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Certainly looks pretty boring these days. laugh.gif Music sucks too! Hell, here in Canada musically all we hear about is that little dork Bieber. It's pathetic.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Clive Cussler Book Reviews | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3669 seconds | Archive
Untitled Document

CLIVE CUSSLER FORUM

Choose a user id, register today, and be a part of the world's largest active Cussler forum. no fees

Keep your email address here updated to ensure that you receive breaking news!

mayday the mediterranean caper iceberg raise the titanic vixen 03 night probe pacific vortex deep six cyclops treasure dragon sahara inca gold shock wave the sea hunters flood tide dirk pitt revealed serpent atlantis found blue gold valhalla rising fire ice the sea hunters 2 white death golden buddha trojan odyssey lost city sacred stone black wind dark watch treasure of khan arctic drift polar shift the navigator skeleton coast plague ship vin fizz the chase

clive cussler dirk cussler craig dirgo paul kemprecos dirk pitt al giordino matthew mcconaughey penelope cruz

author sign signing signed rare scarce club fansite fan site tony krome book used books rare book store library nautical maritime ocean sea adventure writing clubs collector's club collector's clubs Collectors clubs cussler's new book forum chat discussion collect cussler collection clive cussler forum ccforum message board

sahara the movie new sahara film crusader productions paramount morocco spain red tide sahara trailer movie trailer sahara preview clive cussler sahara