zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Screensize and You, and how it can affect your love life...

What size is your screen?
800 x 600 [ 1 ]  [3.57%]
800 x 600, at work [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
1024 x 768 [ 10 ]  [35.71%]
1024 x 768, at work [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
1280 x 960 [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
1280 x 1024 [ 9 ]  [32.14%]
1600 x 1200 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Bigger than anything listed [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Widescreen, any size [ 6 ]  [21.43%]
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
Carmichael Micaalus
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:40 AM

Secretary of Maternal Relations

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

I'm usually a little on the hesitant side to ask questions like this, mostly because I tend to view things in a "worst-cast scenario" light, but since I am still technically a mod, I guess I should, you know, do my job from time to time. Anyway, here's the thing: as you all know, we have a size restriction on sigs. I've heard wind of a couple of people asking about increasing the width (not the length), as it's set to be kind of small. When I set the size restrictions a couple of years ago, I-

A- a couple of years...

Excuse me, I need to drown in my sorrows a bit.

Okay! Anyway, a couple of years OH GOD I'M WASTING MY LIFE Ahem! I set it that way because of people with 800 by 600 resolution screens, so that way, the sigs wouldn't stretch their screens and they wouldn't be forced to turn them off. However, larger screens are much more common nowadays (and in all honesty, they were a couple of years ago as well), so I figured I should see if anyone even uses the smallest screen size. The reason why I included the "at work" with the two smallest is because if you're looking at the forum at work, chances are you're going to have sigs blocked anyway. Some of the sigs here can sometimes push the limits of decency, especially in the workplace, since they tend to be a bit more uptight about such things.

So... help us out by telling us what you use, so we know if we should make adjustments to the allowed limits.

OH GOD SO OLD

--------------------
user posted image
Everyday I'm tumbl'n.
"This bitch is makin' me all Paru..." ~Hang in There, Kogasa-san!
Algasir
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:46 AM

Green hair!

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

If we have multiple computers/monitors, should we just choose the smallest one and state as such in this topic?
Nifar
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:46 AM

Sage

Member No.: 522

Erm, this may sound like a stupid question, but how can I tell what my screen size is?

--------------------
Out of Context Quote(s) of the Week: "Please don't stick bacon in my stab wounds."
Red Silvers
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:48 AM

Emperor

Member No.: 45

Vista or older Windows?

Vista: Right click on your desktop > Personalization > Display Settings.
Older Windows: Control Panel > Display

--------------------
"Speaking of being terrible at games, Red fumbling with the blocks in Magnet Man's level has to be seen to be believed. If the definition of insanity has to do with expecting different results upon trying the same thing, then he must be one of the most insane people I've ever known." - Brickroad

The Guardian Legend - By Red Silvers (VLP): Our Red Silvers continues to find the weirdest worksafe pictures of the game's protagonist, a plane that transforms into a waifu.

Super Metroid - By Red Silvers (VLP): I think it's safe to say at this point, that Samus ain't leaving her suit once Red Silvers finally gets around the finishing this game.

Fantastic Dizzy - By Red Silvers (VLP): Fresh off his recent run of Super Metroid, Red Silvers tackles yet another, err... classic? (Egg-scuse me for being confused about Red Silvers' next choice.)
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:49 AM

Too few posts for a custom title

Group: Group: Group: Group
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Algasir @ Jan 31 2009, 09:46 PM)
If we have multiple computers/monitors, should we just choose the smallest one and state as such in this topic?

The smallest one that you'd use regularly to access this forum. If you use some sort of 400x300 VGA device to check your email just to be weird, I don't think that matters much here.

To check your screen size, right-click on your desktop and hit Display or Properties or some such. It'll open up a screen and one of the tabs handles resolution.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image -- Let us all study the Panzer and grow into beautiful, healthy women! --
-- 100+7 --

Arc: Can I ship you and FZ?
Forever Zero: I should never talk while I wank.

Arc: Are your panties still hazardous?

You awake in a 10x10 room.
CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

hyenas, like bears, are dogs
Algasir
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:52 AM

Green hair!

You use a Mac, don't you? I have no idea how to do it on a Mac. Google would probably know.

Also, it seems the size for my smallest monitor (my laptop) isn't listed here. It's 1280x800. It's a weird resolution that doesn't seemed to be listed often. My desktop is 1280x1024
Nifar
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:53 AM

Sage

Ah, danke. Apparently my screen is larger than I thought it was.

Edit @Algy: Damn. I forgot about the Mac. Eh, I use the XP more anyways.

This post has been edited by Nifar on Feb 1 2009, 04:54 AM

--------------------
Out of Context Quote(s) of the Week: "Please don't stick bacon in my stab wounds."
Red Silvers
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:53 AM

Emperor

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Algasir @ Jan 31 2009, 09:52 PM)
It's 1280x800. It's a weird resolution that doesn't seemed to be listed often.

Er...

Widescreen, any size

--------------------
"Speaking of being terrible at games, Red fumbling with the blocks in Magnet Man's level has to be seen to be believed. If the definition of insanity has to do with expecting different results upon trying the same thing, then he must be one of the most insane people I've ever known." - Brickroad

The Guardian Legend - By Red Silvers (VLP): Our Red Silvers continues to find the weirdest worksafe pictures of the game's protagonist, a plane that transforms into a waifu.

Super Metroid - By Red Silvers (VLP): I think it's safe to say at this point, that Samus ain't leaving her suit once Red Silvers finally gets around the finishing this game.

Fantastic Dizzy - By Red Silvers (VLP): Fresh off his recent run of Super Metroid, Red Silvers tackles yet another, err... classic? (Egg-scuse me for being confused about Red Silvers' next choice.)
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:54 AM

Honestly, horizontal distance is what matters for signatures, since every thread is going to require vertical scrolling after a couple posts even if all images are turned off.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image -- Let us all study the Panzer and grow into beautiful, healthy women! --
-- 100+7 --

CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

Algasir
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:55 AM

Green hair!

I looked up 'widescreen resolutions' and 1280x800 wasn't listed.
Nifar
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:59 AM

Sage

Huh. My Mac has two rather different resolutions, one for each monitor. One monitor is a widescreen, whereas the other is simply fucking huge. Either way, no worries there.

--------------------
mordain
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 04:59 AM

Codewalker

Member No.: 72

Just pick one that matches your width.

edit: Width would be the first one. The bigger one. Unless you have some funky monitor that's taller than it is wide.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
Spriteless Girl
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 05:00 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024, and I keep my browser about 800 pixels wide because I like to look at other programs in the background. So I suggest that the new signature guidelines be no more than 900 pixels, so I don't have to change my habits that much.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
Carmichael Micaalus
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 05:04 AM

Secretary of Maternal Relations

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Spriteless Girl @ Jan 31 2009, 09:00 PM)
My screen resolution is 1280 x 1024, and I keep my browser about 800 pixels wide because I like to look at other programs in the background. So I suggest that the new signature guidelines be no more than 900 pixels, so I don't have to change my habits that much.

I tend to keep my own screen windowed, as I'm usually playing a game or in photoshop or something. If they are increased, it won't be too much larger than it is.

--------------------
user posted image
Everyday I'm tumbl'n.
"This bitch is makin' me all Paru..." ~Hang in There, Kogasa-san!
Blackdeathdraco
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 02:55 PM

Sage

Member No.: 32

1280x1024, always maxed browser size.

--------------------
When I'm bored, I like to wander around and cast X-Zone on random things.

"Sanity is the illusion of the insane." -Me

img src="http://www.animecubed.com/billy/pics/sigs/BDD.jpg">

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
invinible
Posted on Feb 1 2009, 11:23 PM

Postinator

Member No.: 183

1024 x 768 is the biggest screen size my computer has. Strangely, I find text signatures more detracting than image signatures unless the image stretches the screen or is taller than the random ads this site has.
femmesimonbelmont
Posted on Feb 9 2009, 12:21 AM

you know you love it.

Member No.: 194

If the avatars are going to cause me to scroll to read text it would be way too annoying. I'd prefer if they went no wider than the forum banners.

--------------------
Mrs. Limburger : Crashing, and banging, all kinds of weird noises. Howling, moaning, frightful grunting, things falling out of closets, all over the place!

Peter : Sounds like my weekend.
-- The Real Ghostbusters, "The Hole in the Wall Gang"

"Eat if you're hungry...punch if you're mad...and then... when you're wearing glasses, PRETEND TO BE INTELLIGENT!!" -- Masaru Hananakajima

"Never has suicide been more appealing, until I realized how appealing murder would be." -- RTM
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted on Feb 9 2009, 03:46 PM

So, are you the one using 800x600? What do you mean by "no wider than the banners"; do you mean the signature images themselves or the entire post box, including the member ID segment on the left?

--------------------
-- 100+7 --

CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

« Next Oldest | Spamsylvania | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1069 seconds | Archive