Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

#731 - Headed Out All Fired Up, Ouchies!
UserShadow7989
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 12:56 PM

Immigrant

Group: Members
Member No.: 639

Well, we know Kevin's dead for sure, then. Yikes.

And isn't Alex just the most lovable asshole?
Nafael
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 01:24 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 1,221

Theory 1: This is a test, to see if despite interference, Alex can find the truth.

Theory 2: Blues really believes, and is for some reason not open minded enough to question what he knows of some events (VERY hard to believe this theory).

Theory 3: He's intentionally lying to Alex about very important information. This does not bode well.
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 01:54 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

Two things. First off, Protoman himself said there were witnesses...which means he (presumably) doesn't have firsthand information.

And second, he didn't say, "Kevin died by being beheaded, set on fire, and then annihilated with Omega energy". He asked if Alex thought being beheaded, set on fire, and then annihilated with Omega energy was survivable.

Neither of those prove anything. At best, they're minor inconsistencies. But they are, nonetheless, inconsistencies.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Atalas
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 02:01 PM

Citizen

Member No.: 1,208

ok, Alex four, Protoman two. Yeah, I don't think there's a bigger asshole in all of Video Land than Alex... except maybe one of his inner evils.
Sir Donald
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 02:22 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Nafael @ Oct 21 2011, 09:24 AM)
Theory 2: Blues really believes, and is for some reason not open minded enough to question what he knows of some events (VERY hard to believe this theory).

Given his reaction to Alex's defamation of Dr. Wily, I actually find this theory to be quite believable.

The others are still possible, though.

EDIT: Question: If a person dies, doesn't that mean that his Mirror Equivalent is also dead?

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Oct 21 2011, 02:23 PM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
Milestone
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 02:59 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 1,269

Quote Protoman:
"Do you think a direct Omega blast after being set on fire and beheaded is survivable?"

Nope, don't think so. Then again, as an example, Crono looked like he got a face-full of There's No Way He Could Have Survived That via Lavos during the course of his game, but that didn't mean that it actually killed him. (Unless you as the player were shooting for one of the "and he actually died there" endings. Heartless completionist jerks.)

Once again, we've got a "I wasn't there, but there were witnesses, who I'm conveniently not naming" moment, so you might as well flip a coin on whether he really is or isn't dead until we get more information.
Reifan00
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 03:34 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 1,270

No-ones said 'no-one could survive that' in comic, so thats one less avenue for videoland to bring Kevin back.

In a semi related note, anyone wondering if the 'child' kept under seal by wily may be Hope?

--------------------
Silver figure, the fire burns, purifies through the tragedy. See, A shiver deep, runs through the flesh and blood - penetrates
Knight
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 03:39 PM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Milestone @ Oct 21 2011, 07:59 AM)
(Unless you as the player were shooting for one of the "and he actually died there" endings. Heartless completionist jerks.)

Fun exercise... finding out which ending had the most dead main characters (not counting the "Lavos destroys the world" ending)
Zap Rowsdower
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 03:46 PM

The artist formerly known as Randomlurker

Member No.: 73

Maybe Protoman's belief that Wily discovered Omega energy is linked to his sealed memories- the memory of who actually did so, and any flags that might lead to discovering that person, are in the memory-lock?

This post has been edited by Zap Rowsdower on Oct 21 2011, 03:47 PM

--------------------
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness." - Otto von Bismarck
Dark Hawk
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 06:22 PM

Guru

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Zap Rowsdower @ Oct 21 2011, 11:46 AM)
Maybe Protoman's belief that Wily discovered Omega energy is linked to his sealed memories- the memory of who actually did so, and any flags that might lead to discovering that person, are in the memory-lock?

Nah, it's just Wily's sthick rearing it's bald head again.

--------------------
Notty: You yourself said you were the master of reusing tired jokes until they were so unfunny that they literally absorbed fun and happiness from the universe.

QUOTE (MFD @ Dec 2 2009, 06:36 PM)
I just cannot get Rosie O'Donnell fucking Barbara Streisand with a strap-on out of my head now.

Thanks.
~Good to see I haven't lost my touch~
HeroicJay
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 06:33 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

QUOTE (Knight @ Oct 21 2011, 08:39 AM)
Fun exercise... finding out which ending had the most dead main characters (not counting the "Lavos destroys the world" ending)

It's perfectly possible to only have four (out of a max of seven) characters total in the late game - WITH the flying Epoch, so I don't mean just going straight to Lavos via End of Time first chance you get. No glitches are involved. Pop quiz: Which three characters can you be missing?

(Note: the third missing character isn't really "dead" per se and has no impact on the ending; said character will appear during the post-flying-Epoch ending sequences even if not in your party.)

So anyway, Alex may actually have been right in whatever theory he thought dead Kevin negated. Remember: Kevin couldn't return to the real world because he'd "gone native". Be it the Omega extraction, be it Mirror Kevin (though I still don't buy it), or be it something else entirely, Kevin was pretty much entirely a video game character by this point.

Then again: Duke, also from the real world, was killed by exposure to Omega Energy (or at least that's what both Hippo and Proto - and probably Mega Man - believe, and we currently have no reason to believe they're wrong). He was not in Mother Brain's clutches at the time of Omega extraction, he's almost certainly not a Mirror version of Duke... hm...

This post has been edited by HeroicJay on Oct 21 2011, 06:34 PM
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 06:59 PM

Regular

QUOTE (HeroicJay @ Oct 21 2011, 01:33 PM)
It's perfectly possible to only have four (out of a max of seven) characters total in the late game - WITH the flying Epoch, so I don't mean just going straight to Lavos via End of Time first chance you get. No glitches are involved. Pop quiz: Which three characters can you be missing?

Chrono, Lucca, Marle, Frog, Robo, Ayla, Magus.

Chrono's technically dead by the time you get the flying Epoch. Magus can also be dead. And you can have Robo replanting the forest. Took me a few minutes to remember that part.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Cyrus
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 07:24 PM

Guru

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (Sir Donald @ Oct 21 2011, 06:22 AM)
EDIT: Question: If a person dies, doesn't that mean that his Mirror Equivalent is also dead?

It's possible the whole mirror dynamic got changed once the two sides actually started interacting, or especially when it started to have two King Charles...es on one side. I means, take for example the Star Trek mirror universe. After the original series interacted with their duplicates, mirror Spock went on to take over the Terran Empire. Regular Spock didn't really fit that on the normal side.

Also, I when I read the topic title, I thought it meant Alex was finally going to leave the prison. Instead, it's a fiery beheading pun... I approve!

Anyways... I see three possibilities about Kevin's death.
1) That was mirror Kevin, and regular Kevin is still alive in the mirror world.
2) That WAS Kevin, and Cecil is being guided by Mirror Kevin, which may turn out insidiously.
3) The people who were actually there to see the battle decided to lie for the good of video land.

--------------------
user posted image
Dark Hawk
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 07:35 PM

Guru

Member No.: 17

4) Someone from the Nes DBZ games was there and got a hold of the dragonballs.

This post has been edited by Dark Hawk on Oct 21 2011, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Notty: You yourself said you were the master of reusing tired jokes until they were so unfunny that they literally absorbed fun and happiness from the universe.

QUOTE (MFD @ Dec 2 2009, 06:36 PM)
I just cannot get Rosie O'Donnell fucking Barbara Streisand with a strap-on out of my head now.

Thanks.
~Good to see I haven't lost my touch~
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 09:03 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

So, what will Proto do now? Will he:
a) continue to answer Alex's questions to hear his theory on Omega energy, or
b) leave anyway?

Also, Reifan00, the most likely theory involving that particular child is that the child is the one who took the Shard from Bob. The kid that Marle's looking for.
Pata Hikari
Posted: Oct 21 2011, 11:53 PM

Citizen

Member No.: 229

Well, this solves the discrepancy of Wily "discovering" Omega Energy yet not knowing it in the flashback
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 05:25 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

He could have lied about not knowing. He could have been the first one to study it, thus discovered its properties.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
mordain
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 05:28 AM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

If he'd been the one to tell Mother Brain about it... why would he have lied to Mother Brain about knowing what it was? And more to the point, why would she have pretended to know if he'd been the one to tell her? I don't think she was clever enough not to react with confusion - "oh come on, you know". It's not impossible, but the conversation just doesn't make any sense.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Oct 22 2011, 01:40 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

Y'know, this is interesting and all, but that still leaves the question of who told Mother Brain about Omega energy. And probably related, who wrote that note Mother Brain read.
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 23 2011, 07:55 PM

Regular

Hm...another possibility for what happens to someone blasted by Omega energy just occurred to me, and it explains a couple of things that were bugging me. Assuming that despite the evasiveness, Protoman is telling the truth about what happened to Kevin when he fought the Sovereign, what would happen to Kevin's mirror duplicate at that moment? I'd be very surprised if there was a Monarch of Merriment running around zapping worlds and sprites in Mirror Videoland, so what if Kevin's mind and personality got grafted onto Mirror Kevin's? The Mirror sprites always struck me as what happens when you let the id be in charge, as opposed to the superego, and opposites attract. Without a body to house Kevin's good side, maybe he got snapped into Mirror Videoland.

I dunno if that extends to all sprites, or just to Kevin since he wasn't really a sprite despite going native (it could even just be because of the way he got out of Mirror Videoland), but it would explain how Kevin could be in Mirror Videoland and alive despite being rather explicitly killed by the Sovereign, without requiring him to have been stuck there for decades previous to the Sovereign showing up. And why 'Mirror' Kevin would be helping Cecil get things ready for the new Game Master.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0608 seconds | Archive