Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Creating a new account, You should read me before doing that
mordain
Posted: Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

Edit: This post is no longer valid, as Invisionfree implimented a spam-account blocker that seems to work darn well. We went to email validation rather than admin validation. As far as I can tell Invision didn't support email validation before. I'm keeping this post just in case we have to put the forum back on admin validation sometime in the future.

New rules for getting an account are simple. Have a valid email and check it shortly after you put in a request for an account. Then follow the instructions in the email Invision sends you. It's a pretty simple procedure used by many other sites, so I don't foresee any problems.

When attempting to create a new account on this forum, you may notice that you cannot post right away - an admin or myself must validate your account first. This isn't because we hate you, but simply because we get a lot of attempted spam. It varies a lot but I'd guess that the average is 50+ attempted spam accounts a week (and yes, that's a lot for a little forum like ours).

So if you're trying to make an account, please be aware that you're probably stuck in the middle of a list of garbage. In order to get your account properly created, follow these steps:

1) If you can, contact one of the regular forumites and ask them to vouch for you. This might be kind of difficult, but if you can do so, do it. Also, ask them to PM a mod or admin with the request (probably me), rather than posting it somewhere where it might get missed.

2) Use an email with a recognizable domain. Gmail, yahoo, and hotmail are the best options.

3) Use a name that doesn't sound like gibberish. This one is probably kind of hard to follow, as you never know what might sound like gibberish to someone else. The biggest notes are to make it pronounceable, preferably using recognizable words or names.

4) An easy way to get registered is to follow the rules above - and make your username and email match. Unless something strange happens, this will almost always guarantee validation.

5) If this is frustrating... remember, your name can always be changed later. If you end up registering under a name you really don't want to use, simply send me (or an admin) a PM after you're validated and I'll change the name.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
« Next Oldest | Rules and Things | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0570 seconds | Archive