Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Top 5 game compaines, Who would you like most to work for?
TheRealKrazyCarl
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 05:36 PM

Councilor

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

Hey all.

As you know I'm currently a game design student working towards getting into the industry.

The semester after next (this Fall) is our internship semester; we approach companies and, if they accept us, work with them for about 4 months with the possibility of full time employment.

Put yourselves in my shoes. You're a video game designer who helps develop mechanics and fiction for a game. Who would you be most interested in working with? Why?

List everyone on your list; in may help narrow down my list. Thanks!

--------------------
Check out my 1up blog!

Never doubt yourself, EVER..... everyone else is doing enough of that for you. - LuppyLuptonium

For a man to be my friend, he must be my equal in all things. He too, must be a dreamer, one who persues that dream regardless of cost, even if it means the death of my own - Griffith,
Berserk

X-Box Live ID: Captain PSX

Pokemon Pearl Friend Code 0945 9341 8654, Name: Carl
FF3 Friend Code 064535863503
femmesimonbelmont
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 08:23 PM

you know you love it.

Member No.: 194

konami
konami
konami
capcom
tecmo

tongue.gif As a bemania and Castlevania fan, do I really need to say why KCET is my favourite?

Capcom gets props for knowing how to start a successful property, and keep it going, AND keep fan loyalty despite how many different changes and incarnations it goes through.

Tecmo gets props for having always committed themselves to making high quality games and having original ideas, implemented in ways people usually wouldn't think of.

Huh... I guess none of those actually have north american branches? I'm sorry... -_-

--------------------
Mrs. Limburger : Crashing, and banging, all kinds of weird noises. Howling, moaning, frightful grunting, things falling out of closets, all over the place!

Peter : Sounds like my weekend.
-- The Real Ghostbusters, "The Hole in the Wall Gang"

"Eat if you're hungry...punch if you're mad...and then... when you're wearing glasses, PRETEND TO BE INTELLIGENT!!" -- Masaru Hananakajima

"Never has suicide been more appealing, until I realized how appealing murder would be." -- RTM
Alphawolf55
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 08:53 PM

Sage

Member No.: 40

Nintendo, Bioware, Capcom, Ubisoft and Majesco

I would like to add Lucasarts to the list.

This post has been edited by Alphawolf55 on Apr 2 2009, 09:04 PM

--------------------

I dare you to look at this and not smile at least a little.
Red Silvers
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 08:55 PM

Emperor

Member No.: 45

Blizzard.

--------------------
"Speaking of being terrible at games, Red fumbling with the blocks in Magnet Man's level has to be seen to be believed. If the definition of insanity has to do with expecting different results upon trying the same thing, then he must be one of the most insane people I've ever known." - Brickroad

The Guardian Legend - By Red Silvers (VLP): Our Red Silvers continues to find the weirdest worksafe pictures of the game's protagonist, a plane that transforms into a waifu.

Super Metroid - By Red Silvers (VLP): I think it's safe to say at this point, that Samus ain't leaving her suit once Red Silvers finally gets around the finishing this game.

Fantastic Dizzy - By Red Silvers (VLP): Fresh off his recent run of Super Metroid, Red Silvers tackles yet another, err... classic? (Egg-scuse me for being confused about Red Silvers' next choice.)
ShadowWarriorLuke
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 09:01 PM

Sage

Member No.: 9

Ubisoft, Koei, Atlus, Revolution, Konami.

Though Revolution's UK-based so I doubt you'd manage to get work there.

--------------------
"If shower heads could talk, mine would say KSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH..."
user posted image user posted image
"Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil." - The Young Ones
"... SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH. Squeak squeak. You take too fucking long to shower. Anyway, that's what my shower head would say... don't interrupt me."
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:02 PM

Too few posts for a custom title

Group: Group: Group: Group
Member No.: 2

I don't know what companies these are, but I'd research most of the big ones and prioritise them first by how good of job security they offer (including how likely they are to stay solvent, themselves) followed by which ones avoid death marches the most reliably. Then after that worry about which ones produce games that you'd like to work on, accounting for the crap jobs you'll be likely thrown when starting out.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image -- Let us all study the Panzer and grow into beautiful, healthy women! --
-- 100+7 --

Arc: Can I ship you and FZ?
Forever Zero: I should never talk while I wank.

Arc: Are your panties still hazardous?

You awake in a 10x10 room.
CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

hyenas, like bears, are dogs
Knight
Posted: Apr 3 2009, 12:41 AM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Anything but EA.
Nifar
Posted: Apr 3 2009, 01:47 AM

Sage

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Knight @ Apr 2 2009, 08:41 PM)
Anything but EA.

Does that include companies owned by EA, like Bioware?

--------------------
Out of Context Quote(s) of the Week: "Please don't stick bacon in my stab wounds."
Knight
Posted: Apr 3 2009, 02:17 AM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Depends on how much direct control EA has over their day-to-day operations. EA is a hellhole for programmers.
Blackdeathdraco
Posted: Apr 3 2009, 02:28 AM

Sage

Member No.: 32

If I ever learn the correct coding techniques I would possibly want to work for Blizzard Entertainment, Natsmune, Nintendo of America, and maybe NIS and Atlus.

Dunno about the reasons other then they make dang good games.

--------------------
When I'm bored, I like to wander around and cast X-Zone on random things.

"Sanity is the illusion of the insane." -Me

img src="http://www.animecubed.com/billy/pics/sigs/BDD.jpg">

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
JC123
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 03:46 AM

Citizen

Member No.: 231

QUOTE (femmesimonbelmont @ Apr 2 2009, 08:23 PM)
konami
konami
konami
capcom
tecmo

tongue.gif As a bemania and Castlevania fan, do I really need to say why KCET is my favourite?

Capcom gets props for knowing how to start a successful property, and keep it going, AND keep fan loyalty despite how many different changes and incarnations it goes through.

Tecmo gets props for having always committed themselves to making high quality games and having original ideas, implemented in ways people usually wouldn't think of.

Huh... I guess none of those actually have north american branches? I'm sorry... -_-

Konami gets an A for Effort and a D for execution in my book. They made the Power Pad back in the day PLUS they had the Drummania and Guitar Freaks games but decided to bring over an originally crappy knockoff of their superior Japanese games.

Metal Gear was just... nah, won't go there...

Anyway, my faves:

Capcom - SF4 (they can FINALLY count!)

Bethesda (Fallout 3 ftw)

Tecmo (who here has beaten Ninja Gaiden)

Black Isle Studios (Baldur's Gate anyone?)

Blizzard (who still plays the original Starcraft?)
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 06:52 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

I hear Ubisoft is filled with intellegent people.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
Just Jon
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 12:43 PM

The Sexy One

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Obsidian would be fun just to hear stories from some of the older guys.

Valve treats their people really well as I understand.

--------------------
No fanfare, no special effects... Just Jon
user posted image
Out of Context Quote: "God DAMN these electric sex pants!"
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 02:32 AM

Guru

Member No.: 70

As I understand it, EA has a hiring freeze as a whole right now, so they wouldn't matter much anyways, but they got a lot better after the whole "EA Spouse" fiasco.

Knowing people who've worked for Activision, Sony, and EA, they all seem pretty fine to work at.

I had the opportunity to talk with a guy from 2K for a while, but if you don't like sports games, they're probably not your cup of tea.

I've heard secondhand that Blizzard is pretty good with their employees, and I've read that Valve is too.

--------------------
user posted image
Red Silvers
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 02:38 AM

Emperor

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Cyrus @ Apr 28 2009, 08:32 PM)
I've heard secondhand that Blizzard is pretty good with their employees, and I've read that Valve is too.

Free WoW accounts with Collectors editions!

*drools*

--------------------
"Speaking of being terrible at games, Red fumbling with the blocks in Magnet Man's level has to be seen to be believed. If the definition of insanity has to do with expecting different results upon trying the same thing, then he must be one of the most insane people I've ever known." - Brickroad

The Guardian Legend - By Red Silvers (VLP): Our Red Silvers continues to find the weirdest worksafe pictures of the game's protagonist, a plane that transforms into a waifu.

Super Metroid - By Red Silvers (VLP): I think it's safe to say at this point, that Samus ain't leaving her suit once Red Silvers finally gets around the finishing this game.

Fantastic Dizzy - By Red Silvers (VLP): Fresh off his recent run of Super Metroid, Red Silvers tackles yet another, err... classic? (Egg-scuse me for being confused about Red Silvers' next choice.)
MFD
Posted: Jun 25 2009, 05:58 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

You live in Mass, right? 38 Studios and Rockstar New England are local.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
ryu planeswalker
Posted: Jun 25 2009, 05:59 PM

Transcendent

Member No.: 112

You could always go for Suda51, even if they treat you bad they gotta be smoking some good stuff to come up with some of the stuff they have.

--------------------
QUOTE (Malia Weinhagen talking about her father Dave Arneson)

"The biggest thing about my dad's world is he wanted people to have fun in life," Weinhagen said. "I think we get distracted by the everyday things you have to do in life and we forget to enjoy life and have fun.

"But my dad never did," she said. "He just wanted people to have fun."
TheRealKrazyCarl
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 03:18 PM

Councilor

For the next two weeks, I'm in interviews with various game companies, starting today with 2KBoston. Any well wishes are welcome!

--------------------
Check out my 1up blog!

Never doubt yourself, EVER..... everyone else is doing enough of that for you. - LuppyLuptonium

For a man to be my friend, he must be my equal in all things. He too, must be a dreamer, one who persues that dream regardless of cost, even if it means the death of my own - Griffith,
Berserk

Cyrus
Posted: Jul 9 2009, 01:00 AM

Guru

Member No.: 70

Good luck. I've already gotten turned down by Sony already, and I haven't been trying very long.

--------------------
user posted image
TheRealKrazyCarl
Posted: Jul 9 2009, 02:15 PM

Councilor

Thank's Cy, below has been a good link when looking for jobs...

http://gamedevmap.com/

What are you looking for? Art, Production, or Programming? I'll forward any good job leads I find during my searches.

--------------------
Check out my 1up blog!

Berserk

« Next Oldest | Serious Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1371 seconds | Archive