InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Oh, God, "No God" and Twitter
MFD
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 09:36 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

So, here's my summary of the developing story from Foxed Blog.

This is a hot button issue, obviously, so do try to be civil. Please?

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
Alan Bates
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 10:05 PM

Transcendent

Group: Members
Member No.: 24

I can't really see the point in Twitter anyway.
mordain
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 10:10 PM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

I don't really see any point into getting into the religious half of the debate, and the other conclusion that the author of that article came to seems incredibly obvious to me. Of course you can't have a serious debate in units of 140 characters. You can barely type a complete thought without resorting to chatspeak or excessive acronyms; presenting a coherent viewpoint on an issue more complex than "What should I have for breakfast?" is impossible.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 10:10 PM

Too few posts for a custom title

Group: Group: Group: Group
Member No.: 2

I think RevRunWisdom meant that without God, you will not be at peace, and through knowing God, you will know peace. Religions don't factor in at all.

Without cake, you will not be full, and through eating cake, you will become full. Food doesn't factor in at all!

--------------------
user posted image user posted image -- Let us all study the Panzer and grow into beautiful, healthy women! --
-- 100+7 --

Arc: Can I ship you and FZ?
Forever Zero: I should never talk while I wank.

Arc: Are your panties still hazardous?

You awake in a 10x10 room.
CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

hyenas, like bears, are dogs
MFD
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 10:25 PM

THIEF!

"Food"? I think "fork" might fit your analogy better.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 10:29 PM

If you think that God is somehow not a religious concept, then that explains the sentences, but not why you have such a crazy notion.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image -- Let us all study the Panzer and grow into beautiful, healthy women! --
-- 100+7 --

CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

MFD
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:03 PM

THIEF!

I meant that the saying did not mean religion, because obviously there's a history of religious violence. It meant God. Not to quote drop, but here's a Gandhi saying that epitomizes the difference: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

There's a semantic difference, perhaps, between God and religion, but I think the difference is the crux of the issue.

--------------------

- Go the Fuck to Sleep

Alphawolf55
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:16 PM

Sage

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (Grandmaster Jogurt @ Oct 20 2009, 05:29 PM)
If you think that God is somehow not a religious concept, then that explains the sentences, but not why you have such a crazy notion.

Being spiritual and being religious are considered two different things.

--------------------

I dare you to look at this and not smile at least a little.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:16 PM

Gandhi was referring to the Christ as Philosopher and Priest character, not the Christ as God character. The one who's seen as advocating love and equality and nonviolence, not the one that gives you eternal life and pushes the planets around and whatnot.

You still haven't explained how you have God without anything religious; you just repeated yourself.

--------------------
-- 100+7 --

CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

MFD
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:18 PM

THIEF!

I'm not saying you have God without religion. I am saying that RevRunWisdom meant that through understanding God, you can know peace. He did not say that through being religious, the world will be at peace.

--------------------

- Go the Fuck to Sleep

Grandmaster Jogurt
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:19 PM

But then how do you "understand God" without being religious? Are you defining "God" as stuff like "love and kindness and happiness" or whatever?

--------------------
-- 100+7 --

CHAPTER 2.05 2010 10 12

Knight
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:27 PM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm going to have to stand with MFD on this one. While they may be inseparably linked, God and Religion are two very different things. Religion is all the trappings and traditions. Typically the stuff that tends to cause trouble.
Alphawolf55
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 11:54 PM

Sage

Member No.: 40

You can understand the nature of world and the ask questions like what is our purpose and meaning without being trapped by dogma.

--------------------

I dare you to look at this and not smile at least a little.
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Oct 21 2009, 04:07 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

You can also come up with answers that don't involve a watchful over-being taking interest in us and be at peace with that. But I doubt I could convince you of that over the internets. At most I could convince you that it's not a stance only unreasonable people take... which is enough that I risk talking about it even though some people turn it into a debate.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
Ou des
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 04:17 AM

Clockwork Contraption

Member No.: 18

Arguing over twitter is indeed dumb.

I agree that what the original guy meant was inner peace, not world peace. But I do disagree with the statement. It's possible to know God and not have any inner peace; and it's also possible not think there's no God and have inner peace.

But I think you all are giving the reverend to much credit concerning what he meant. He didn't say "belief in something greater than yourself gives peace", or "belief in a supernatural world we can't explain gives peace", but that God gives you peace. With a capital "G". God and religion aren't equivalent, but just claiming that the quote is advocating some kind of new age spiritualistic interpretation of God rather than some form of mainstream Christianity is pretty naive.

PS: Did you say that's your personal blog?

--------------------
user posted image
« Next Oldest | Serious Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0820 seconds | Archive