InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Choose the RP, All hail popular sovereignty!

Which of these would you rather play?
A "The Game" RP (description below) [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
A Player Made RP (description below) [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
An "Overpowered Everything" RP (do I really need to say it?) [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
The Strangest Quest I Can Think Of (guess where you can find the info) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
A "Rotating Position" RP (again, description below) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
A "Murder Mystery" RP [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Familiar Characters- Good Guys [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
Familiar Characters- Evil Edition [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Familiar Characters- Platform Decision (if this wins, second poll to decide which platforms should be included) [ 1 ]  [20.00%]
Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
You
Posted on Nov 30 2009, 01:00 AM

Immigrant

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,189

1. A "The Game" RP is incredibly simple. In a "The Game", you have two to three rotating positions. Two position is the simplest, with one Player, and one GM. You can completely warp the character and world if you have more than two players. With three positions, it's much more complicated. Two players, one GM, and any of the positions may be played at any time so long as they had not just done so. None of the players may die, and a common trope appearing here is, "You wake up in a dark room." Tradition dictates that every version of "The Game" starts this way anyhow.

2. A Player Made RP is simply, everything is decided by the players. The GM simply decides how other characters react. Everything else, the world, the limits on powers, the technology, is up to the players.

3. For a good example of an Overpowered Everything RP done right, look at the Gleemax RP on WotC. This would be much smaller however. The catch is, everyone's too powerful and the rules are too loose for anything to really happen, but because everyone is, it doesn't make any difference in anything anyhow. Characters practically never die in this style of RP.

4. I can think of really bizarre things. Pick this if you dare. Character concepts will be original, and whatever.

5. An "RP" RP is just, characters and the GM position rotate regularly. Only works with the right people and with a loose story.

6. ... No.

7. You pick characters from comics, video games, books, whatever, and they go on a journey together. But they're good guys.

8. Same thing. But they're bad guys.

9. Think Subspace Emissary with Nintendo. Good guys and bad guys from separate series, acting toward the same goal. The difference here would be, like, everyone would be from Nintendo, or Capcom, or DC, or even just a genre. Science fiction books, fantasy film, whatever. Genres can overlap with other categories.

This post has been edited by You on Nov 30 2009, 11:36 AM

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Notty
Posted on Nov 30 2009, 10:26 AM

Annoying Little Boy

Member No.: 19

There is a... not altogether small part of me that wants to edit the poll to include a 'Pokemon RP' option and then make everyone pick it. tongue.gif

I feel it's worth pointing out that nearly each and everyone one of the options up there have been tried...and failed.

Also, they're all (or at least, appear to be) freeform in nature, which is kind of blah. Those sort of games always lead to conflict (and disaster) unless you have absolutely everything planned out in advance, which is...kinda boring.

So yeah, good luck and all.
Knight
Posted on Nov 30 2009, 06:11 PM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Notty @ Nov 30 2009, 03:26 AM)
Those sort of games always lead to conflict (and disaster) unless you have absolutely everything planned out in advance

Or, you know, having people who can freeform RP. But this involves being more interested in creating a good story than "winning", which can be difficult for the best of people.
Red Silvers
Posted on Nov 30 2009, 06:17 PM

Emperor

Member No.: 45

Back when the Journeys was an internet RP, it was an RP with no GM... and you could write for other people's characters. It got to be interesting.

--------------------
"Speaking of being terrible at games, Red fumbling with the blocks in Magnet Man's level has to be seen to be believed. If the definition of insanity has to do with expecting different results upon trying the same thing, then he must be one of the most insane people I've ever known." - Brickroad

The Guardian Legend - By Red Silvers (VLP): Our Red Silvers continues to find the weirdest worksafe pictures of the game's protagonist, a plane that transforms into a waifu.

Super Metroid - By Red Silvers (VLP): I think it's safe to say at this point, that Samus ain't leaving her suit once Red Silvers finally gets around the finishing this game.

Fantastic Dizzy - By Red Silvers (VLP): Fresh off his recent run of Super Metroid, Red Silvers tackles yet another, err... classic? (Egg-scuse me for being confused about Red Silvers' next choice.)
You
Posted on Nov 30 2009, 10:41 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 1,189

QUOTE (Red Silvers @ Nov 30 2009, 06:17 PM)
Back when the Journeys was an internet RP, it was an RP with no GM... and you could write for other people's characters. It got to be interesting.

For The Game (no, you didn't just lose. Well, now you did), think of that same thing, but with just one or two characters. Things have gotten freakishly interesting in The Games.

You remember that Protagonist Man was almost named Marvin Marvin. *nods*

You are feeling fond feelings and memories from Your last The Game... Purple and Red Pills eff tee dubya, Steve.

(By the way, You are You [i.e., references to You are references to me/I])

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Knight
Posted on Dec 1 2009, 12:15 AM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I may have to strangle You if You keeps that up.
Immolation
Posted on Dec 1 2009, 12:32 AM

Eternal Flame

Member No.: 86

I vote that his new name is "Ewe" or a close derivative of my suggestion.

--------------------
"How much time do you need?"
"Whatever you can get me. When the EMP goes off-"
"When it goes off, I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I, am a motherfucking ghost"
Dark Hawk
Posted on Dec 1 2009, 12:33 AM

Guru

Member No.: 17

Or we can sic Invinible on him!

--------------------
Notty: You yourself said you were the master of reusing tired jokes until they were so unfunny that they literally absorbed fun and happiness from the universe.

QUOTE (MFD @ Dec 2 2009, 06:36 PM)
I just cannot get Rosie O'Donnell fucking Barbara Streisand with a strap-on out of my head now.

Thanks.
~Good to see I haven't lost my touch~
« Next Oldest | Serious RP | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1995 seconds | Archive