Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (120) « First ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Pokémon RPGs - OOC Discussion, For Gaiden, Cyberpunk, and Freeplay
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 02:07 PM

Councilor

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,266

Question 1

I could see either single or 2/3. I don't really have a particular preference.
Question 2

I can answer this question better once I get farther. tongue.gif
Question 3

^@Raider
Bonus Question

Please, we're not getting to the end of this until 2039. So...27 years.

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Mar 11 2012, 02:11 PM
Cyrus
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 04:42 PM

Guru

Member No.: 70

My opinions...

If you give everyone a "best two of three" match, it's not gonna' be suspenseful no matter what you do, because the player will always at least figure out the strategy if they lose the first match. So if you go that way, I'd see no problems doing the matches in advance. Especially if some people aren't going to be readily available.

Maybe do the match times of a case by case basis? If some people want to hold off on theirs, they can hold off, but for those who just want to get it over with, they can do it in advance (and hold onto the log until the match actually happens in RP)

Most of the TMs I still want are contest TMs. And I don't feel contests are in character for my characters. So I'd like the TMs!

...and hold items? Eh... I'm still stuck with berries on every mon. But if we give everyone every hold item, it'll just be a choice band/spec/scarf + life orb blahfest. Then again, it'd also give an absurd advantage to those players you did give any items like that to if you didn't, if that's a concern.

And you could always take the TMs and hold items back after the tourny, saying it was a tourny convenience offered by the pokemon league.

And as for why you're asking now? Because it'd take six months for all the players to weigh in on this. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Mar 11 2012, 04:43 PM

--------------------
user posted image
Notty
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 09:16 PM

Annoying Little Boy

Member No.: 19

Raider: I get where you're coming from, but TMs/Hold items were never intended to be something that gave you an advantage. The idea was that everyone would have everything they needed/wanted because if they didn't get it in-game, they could just win it at the Battle Frontier. That didn't work out, but the system remained in place, probably out of a foolish notion that we could salvage it.

Balance has always been my foremost concern, so while I can understand why you might be annoyed, saying "But, but, but my advantages!" isn't really a compelling argument as far as I'm concerned.

Turtle: All jokes aside, I do believe we are closer that you might think.

Cyrus: Thing is, that's really only applicable in Player vs NPC battles, which I am thoroughly unconcerned with as far as that goes. 2/3 PvP is a different beast entirely, because playing someone when you know everything is almost a completely different game than playing blind.

With that said, my issue comes from the point of the story. You don't ever see the anime do 2/3, because it's just not as exciting.

However, actual battling is far more influences by luck, which is why 2/3 is probably best in the interest of fairness. It's just something that bugs me.
Cyrus
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 11:09 PM

Guru

Well, I've seen more than a few tournaments (albeit, not in fiction) where the first few rounds are one match, then it moves onto 2 out of 3 once the lesser competitors have been weeded out.

Alternatively, doing 2 outta 3 might provide a refreshing difference from the other tournaments the RP has had. Liven some things up!

...the "case by case when to have them" thing also still applies to pvp matches, assuming the two players can actually agree on something.

That is, unless you want to let everyone else watch in on them like we have in the past. I dunno! THINGS ARE COMPLICATED.

edit: scratch that thing about not seeing tournaments in fiction where stuff like that happens.

Just think of karate kid! Once it gets past the opening rounds, the requirements for winning the match go up. Because things have TOTALLY GOTTEN SERIOUS.

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Mar 11 2012, 11:10 PM

--------------------
user posted image
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 11:48 PM

Councilor

As for the when, I'd say whenever both sides have the chance to battle. As for spectators, I say let them come, but don't change the schedule because some of them can't make it.
Nefidean
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 04:53 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 404

I really don't mind how things go. I wasn't here before for the last tournament, so I don't know which way to go. I'll go with the flow.

But I have a question of my own, Luppy and I were discussing this on the way home tonight. If a pokemon dies and becomes a ghost type pokemon... does that mean that i evolved, or just reincarnated it self?

--------------------
I appologise for my failed attempt at spelling. ^-^;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
user posted imageuser posted image
Immolation
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 03:17 AM

Eternal Flame

Member No.: 86

QUOTE (Notty @ Mar 11 2012, 02:00 AM)
Just gonna fire off a few questions before bed...

Chapter 10 and the Sinnoh League are closer than a few may suspect, so I'm working on fine-tuning thingymabobbers.

Question 1 - Which would you guys prefer for the tournament format? Single Elimination, Best 2 of 3, or (Cran's idea) Best 3 of 5?

I find 3/5 to be a bit unwieldy, and one fall is just begging for another "Cyra eliminates Pink" debacle, but I don't like the 2/3 narrative.

Question 2 - Considering just allowing all (non-BW) TMs during the tourney or even sooner, wondering how people feel about that. Seems a little unfair to the people who've been actively collecting them, but at the same time, limiting TMs was supposed to be balanced by Battle Frontier allowing easy access, and that didn't pan out.

Ditto hold items, though I don't know that I'll be handing THOSE out willy-nilly.

Question 3 - During Hoenn, we did battles well in advance of the match-ups being posted, which kept the updating at a brisk pace, but kind of took the fun out of it.

Would you guys prefer to keep doing battles before the match-ups are officially posted, or wait and keep things more suspenseful, but run the risk of delays?

Bonus Question - why am i asking this now we still got like six months ahhhhhh

Q1: I'm going to go with best two of three, personally.

Q2: I'd rather see a fair and balanced Tm/hold item allotment during the tourny then, well, one or two players having a huge advantage just because they went for it.

Q3: Notty. We HAVE to wait on the battles. If it turns out like it did last time when one of the competitors wasn't feeling well and lost because of that, I will strangle you. icon_evil.gif

Bonus question: Why are you asking? it won't be six months from now, it'll be 9 months to a year before we hit the tournament at the rate we're going.

--------------------
"How much time do you need?"
"Whatever you can get me. When the EMP goes off-"
"When it goes off, I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I, am a motherfucking ghost"
raiderrpg
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 07:14 AM

Master

Member No.: 1,137

I've been working towards my... ahem... 'advantages'. That's part of any game, to get the best you can, cross fingers, and go for it.

Removing those means you may as well make sure we all have the exact same mons and movesets, too, because 'advantages'.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Got Miltank?
Algasir
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 08:08 AM

Green hair!

Member No.: 140

While we're at it, why don't we just have the people who aren't here most of the time forfeit right now? They're rarely here half of the time anyway so they don't DESERVE to play, right?
raiderrpg
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 09:25 AM

Master

Member No.: 1,137

Oh, please. There's what, 83 months left and I'm fairly sure at this point all that's for those few of us who are prepped "advantage"-wise is a TM or two while we romp around doing plot-related things and getting through victory road.

Heck, half the reason I haven't just thrown up my hands and gone through that place is so that someone else can get first grab at the bounty of items in there tongue.gif

Point is, people who are behind can still catch up easily enough.

This post has been edited by raiderrpg on Mar 15 2012, 09:25 AM

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Got Miltank?
Cyrus
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 09:58 PM

Guru

QUOTE (raiderrpg @ Mar 14 2012, 11:14 PM)
I've been working towards my... ahem... 'advantages'. That's part of any game, to get the best you can, cross fingers, and go for it.

That might mean something if the part of the RP where the players actually get items was governed by strict game logic. As it stands, if anyone gets any items, regardless of whether it be before or at the tournament, it's because the GM decided as such.

--------------------
user posted image
Notty
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 11:29 PM

Annoying Little Boy

Basically that, plus a handful of situations where it's not even in my hands, like those stupid slots.

Anyway, not to repeat myself, but I'm going to repeat myself when I say that if you were honestly expecting to be able to win by virtue of being able to post more often, that was kind of a failed strategy from the get-go. Both of the previous tournaments have evened out the playing field and looked for who can win on skill (Look at DH in Hoenn, goddamn, he was playing on a high level, Immy's grumblings aside) with just a dash of that Pokemon flavored luck thrown in for taste.

In that regard, Sinnoh is likely to be the most balanced yet, ignoring items/TMs for a moment, due to the relative parity of available Pokemon (Just look at all the people running around with Staraptors, and Luxrays, and Roserades, sheesh.)

Making everything available to everyone would primarily disadvantage three people: Raider, Algy, and Iyestorm. It's a net benefit to everyone else, with the side bonus of speeding this shit up AND meaning I don't have to do any more of those goddamn, motherfucking slots, which is almost enough of a reason on it's own, but I digress. Algy in favor of it, Raider's against it, and Iye is MIA, but my gut says he'd be in favor of it.

It's important to maintain a fair playing field so that people who literally just started playing arent at even more of a disadvantage than they already are against the people who have been doing this for literal years.

That's a lot of words to say that I've basically made up my mind, but there you go.

This post has been edited by Notty on Mar 16 2012, 11:31 PM
Algasir
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 12:08 AM

Green hair!

Member No.: 140

QUOTE (Notty @ Mar 16 2012, 06:29 PM)
Basically that, plus a handful of situations where it's not even in my hands, like those stupid slots.

oh shut up you like the post count padding and you know it
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 03:56 AM

Councilor

Huh. I don't think I've seen this thing go inactive for a whole week since I've joined. You people need to quit your jobs so you can post more*! biggrin.gif

*This is sarcasm, if you couldn't tell. The internet I sucks at conveying things like that.

EDIT: Made it more accurate. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Mar 20 2012, 03:58 AM
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 08:32 PM

Councilor

UPDATES!? WHAT MANNER OF SORCERY BE THIS!?!?!?
Cran
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 06:13 PM

Roxas!

Member No.: 42

I'm going to go ahead and field an apology here. Real life troubles and escapes have been biting at both Notty and myself, and my lack of presence despite my library card was due to the sudden existence failure of my ride. Also, some combination of World of Warcraft, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Smallville, and Code Geass have been keeping us company as we gently weep over a jar of peanut butter.

We'll try to get things back on track once some of the dumber problems go away.

--------------------
"When the sun goes down, the stars come out like the ghosts of yesterday,
So drink'em down, 'cause some things never change.
Baby sing, get loud. We ain't gonna fuck around.
When the sun goes down, let me hear you say...this is my town."

~Hollywood Undead, My Town

It's been fun guys.
Hasta.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 02:26 AM

Councilor

*sees update in OOC thread* "COULD IT BE!? HAVE THE MYTHICAL UPDATES COME!?" *reads post* "Oh. Poop."

But yeah, good luck with sorting all of that junk out. Take all the time you guys need*. We'll be here when you get back.

*WoW is not time you "need". tongue.gif
Immolation
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 09:10 AM

Eternal Flame

Member No.: 86

*picks turtle up by the shell and throws him into the huge pile of all consuming trash*

Honestly, if it's as bad as you two are making it out to be, then by all means, take your time.

As long as you understand that when you've got your real life issues sorted out, you'll have to take care of our crazy internet not-real problems. tongue.gif

--------------------
"How much time do you need?"
"Whatever you can get me. When the EMP goes off-"
"When it goes off, I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I, am a motherfucking ghost"
Notty
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 05:04 AM

Annoying Little Boy

Trying to get things going again. Your patience is appreciated.
neko-chan
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 04:34 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 242

Eh, take all the time you need. I got so much for school right now it is not even funny.

I got a four week exercise program to come up with that is half of my final grade, two stories to edit and polish, two poems to edit and polish, two pages of dialogue for a play to come up with, a quiz, a test, and four finals to study for.

... and it all needs to be done in the next week as finals for me end on 5/02.

I hate college.

This post has been edited by neko-chan on Apr 26 2012, 04:35 PM

--------------------
They said there was no chance. They said we should find a new home. We have. We just made it ourselves. Because we dare to think the impossible.

We are heroes. This is what we do.

~The Phoenix Project - City of Titans
« Next Oldest | Serious RP | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (120) « First ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1667 seconds | Archive