Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

#724 Heir on the Side of Caution, Or, Namedrop Extravaganza
Cyrus
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 07:43 AM

Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

I still feel lie there's something iffy about Simone, but at the same time, we know from previous flashbacks that this is where he (and Lyle) die, so we're probably not gonna hear it in this flashback. Doubt protoman would know anyways.

--------------------
user posted image
gopus
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 01:28 PM

Regular

Member No.: 56

It's almost as if Kevin wants a lot of people to die
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 03:02 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

QUOTE (gopus @ Oct 5 2011, 08:28 AM)
It's almost as if Kevin wants a lot of people to die

Not exactly. To be honest, Hope's plan is reckless if you look at it from the perspective of what they knew then. It's a last-ditch, all-or-nothing effort, and she's the heir. If she dies, then there's nothing to stop the Sovereign from wiping Videoland out entirely.

Also, Hope doesn't have the authority she's trying to claim except in a purely technical sense.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Nifar
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 04:31 PM

Sage

Member No.: 522

Actually, she would by virtue of being the heir. Kevin has no power in Videoland, at least not in a legal sense. If Lana's gone then Hope and Lyle are the only two people who would have power, and Lyle would only count if he'd been named regent, which seems unlikely since Hope appears to be an adult. Kevin is merely the Prince Consort, a position of no real authority.

At least, that's how I'm reading this. If Kevin was actually named King when he married Lana, then yeah, she's got no room to speak.

This post has been edited by Nifar on Oct 5 2011, 04:32 PM

--------------------
Out of Context Quote(s) of the Week: "Please don't stick bacon in my stab wounds."
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 04:57 PM

Regular

She has the legal authority, but she doesn't have the personal authority and prestige to go along with it. That's what I meant by 'technical'. She can give orders as the Princess of Videoland, but whether they'll be obeyed is another story. Especially since those orders involve her sacrificing her life.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
mordain
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 05:04 PM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

She's an oracle and a sorceress, and the rightful heir to a literal magical kingdom. How do you know that she doesn't have real authority to back herself up?

...my guess is that her authority won't work on her father who isn't FROM said kingdom, however. Which does negate my point a bit.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
Zap Rowsdower
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 05:20 PM

The artist formerly known as Randomlurker

Member No.: 73

On the other hand, while Kevin isn't from Videoland, he HAS gone native by that point, remember, to the extent of being physically incapable of leaving and undergoing mysterious personality changes.

--------------------
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness." - Otto von Bismarck
mordain
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 05:25 PM

Codewalker

Are we certain he was ever capable of leaving?

--------------------
TheRealKrazyCarl
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 05:26 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 190

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 01:25 PM)
Are we certain he was ever capable of leaving?

Yes, other characters from the "real world" have visited Videoland and returned home in the Captain N show.

This post has been edited by TheRealKrazyCarl on Oct 5 2011, 05:27 PM

--------------------
Check out my 1up blog!

Never doubt yourself, EVER..... everyone else is doing enough of that for you. - LuppyLuptonium

For a man to be my friend, he must be my equal in all things. He too, must be a dreamer, one who persues that dream regardless of cost, even if it means the death of my own - Griffith,
Berserk

X-Box Live ID: Captain PSX

Pokemon Pearl Friend Code 0945 9341 8654, Name: Carl
FF3 Friend Code 064535863503
mordain
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 05:30 PM

Codewalker

The actual 'real world' in the sense of the same place Kevin came from, or the 'real world' in the same sense as Johnny Arcade? I believe there is a (very confusing) distinction.

--------------------
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 06:04 PM

Regular

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 12:04 PM)
She's an oracle and a sorceress, and the rightful heir to a literal magical kingdom. How do you know that she doesn't have real authority to back herself up?

Well, for starters, the fact that the N Team and N-Forcers (what was left of them) were all pretty solidly against her doing anything of the sort. And the fact that all she got the last time she tried something like this was a cat. Even if they accept that she did see the supposed-to-be-Gamemaster and that he refused to come through, it still counted against her.

--------------------
mordain
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 06:28 PM

Codewalker

"Voice of reason" vs "voice of authority". She's only just now THREATENING to use her authority, she's been trying to appeal to common sense 'til now.

--------------------
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:02 PM

Regular

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 01:28 PM)
"Voice of reason" vs "voice of authority". She's only just now THREATENING to use her authority, she's been trying to appeal to common sense 'til now.

Indeed, she was trying to convince them before. But, she doesn't even have the spell fully worked out yet. So it doesn't matter whether she's willing to permit them to fight the Sovereign or whether she thinks there's anything to be gained from trying. Until she works the details out and gets the spell ready, trying to use her authority like this is just a waste.

If she had the spell completely ready, then maybe she could tell them to stand down and be listened to. But until then, it's stupid to even try. All she's doing is spending time she doesn't have, to command people to stand down even though they won't have a choice but to fight if the Sovereign comes before she's ready.

And besides, maybe the horse will learn to sing. (reference to a very old story)

--------------------
mordain
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:05 PM

Codewalker

Since you seem to be agreeing with me now, I'll step back; everything there seems very logical.

I'm not sure logic's ever been within a fifty-mile radius of Videoland, however...

--------------------
MFD
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:24 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 12:04 PM)
...my guess is that her authority won't work on her father who isn't FROM said kingdom, however. Which does negate my point a bit.

Kevin looks pretty terrified of the new Queen.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:28 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

I don't quite think he's *terrified*, per se, so much as flabbergasted. After all, in his point of view, his daughter just ripped control of the situation right out of his hands.
TheRealKrazyCarl
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:52 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 190

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 01:30 PM)
The actual 'real world' in the sense of the same place Kevin came from, or the 'real world' in the same sense as Johnny Arcade? I believe there is a (very confusing) distinction.

Place where Kevin came from. An episode of Captain N had 3 of his High School friends play a Football match against the Robot Masters of Megaman 2.

Wily warped the school and the three students to Videoland with the power of "Competition Energy". The three were warped back to Kevin's "real world" at the end of the episode.

--------------------
Check out my 1up blog!

Never doubt yourself, EVER..... everyone else is doing enough of that for you. - LuppyLuptonium

For a man to be my friend, he must be my equal in all things. He too, must be a dreamer, one who persues that dream regardless of cost, even if it means the death of my own - Griffith,
Berserk

X-Box Live ID: Captain PSX

Pokemon Pearl Friend Code 0945 9341 8654, Name: Carl
FF3 Friend Code 064535863503
jaimehlers
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 08:53 PM

Regular

QUOTE (mordain @ Oct 5 2011, 03:05 PM)
Since you seem to be agreeing with me now, I'll step back; everything there seems very logical.

I'm not sure logic's ever been within a fifty-mile radius of Videoland, however...

I'm still undecided on whether she has the authority or not, but it seems evident that she hasn't planned this out too well; she forgot to even mention she had a plan to them at first, she hasn't entirely worked things out with said plan yet, her plan involves sacrificing herself which she forbid Megaman to do, and she's unwilling to listen to other alternatives despite these things.

The military maxim, "don't give an order you know won't/can't be obeyed" should also apply here.

--------------------
Sir Donald
Posted: Oct 5 2011, 11:18 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,212

Personally, I think that her attempt to invoke her "authority" will backfire. Royally.

"Because I'm your Father! That's why!"

Later... "Man... I was always on the receiving end of that line..." (Ryu would be the one to console him. And perhaps point out that, since the Heiress is so vital to the State of Videoland, having her do anything other than evacuate the castle with a Guard would be at the height of recklessness.)

EDIT: On another note, could Hope's "authority" be the reason why Mega Man's plan fails?

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Oct 5 2011, 11:26 PM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
gopus
Posted: Oct 6 2011, 12:13 AM

Regular

Member No.: 56

Whatever the case, the other characters will side with Kevin... excepting Megaman. We know this will happen because Kevin will let Megaman down, and Megaman will side with Hope and not "abandon her, even if the rest of the world had."
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0760 seconds | Archive