InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

#741 Hint of the Storm, Alternate Title: FUNGAAAAH
Gaius
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 07:24 PM

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,232

I don't think the selection of purple hair ties for Maria's hair was a coincidence.

But I'm presently thinking it might be an in-story coincidence. JayDee could have given her purple hair ties for several reasons (with the main being, as Tonberry said, telling Maria and Celes apart), but two that stand out:

1) The comic is called 'Hint of the Storm.' We all instantly associate (post-game added) purple with the Sovereign, so the hair ties might hint that her influence is going to be felt in a big way. Not that this is exactly a surprise, given Alex's lead-in, but hey. This may be a sign that Maria's going to be impacted by Sorrow, in some way.
2) JayDee knew we'd see it and obsess over it. Possibly to the point of missing something that becomes more important. A purple herring, if you will.

Just my two cents.

This post has been edited by Gaius on Nov 19 2011, 07:26 PM
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 09:06 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

QUOTE (Gaius @ Nov 19 2011, 02:24 PM)
1) The comic is called 'Hint of the Storm.' We all instantly associate (post-game added) purple with the Sovereign, so the hair ties might hint that her influence is going to be felt in a big way. Not that this is exactly a surprise, given Alex's lead-in, but hey. This may be a sign that Maria's going to be impacted by Sorrow, in some way.
2) JayDee knew we'd see it and obsess over it. Possibly to the point of missing something that becomes more important. A purple herring, if you will.

Does anyone have a sprite of Maria from FF3? She may just have a purple hair tie in the original, and, like all sprites, she doesn't change her clothes much.

Also, that bigger thing that we may have missed might be the strange girl Maria mentioned. Or it could just be the fact that she's now, oh, what's the word? Oh right, kidnapped. No one here forgot that little detail, did they?
mordain
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 09:09 PM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Nov 19 2011, 01:06 PM)
Or it could just be the fact that she's now, oh, what's the word? Oh right, kidnapped. No one here forgot that little detail, did they?

...by Ultros.

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
Knight
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 09:32 PM

Guru of Magic
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Yeah, I don't think anyone here is really worried about her safety. tongue.gif
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 10:31 PM

Councilor

To be fair, I think he is at least somewhat competent once in the game. That is, when you have Banon and you're floating down the river. But yeah, I guess it really doesn't matter. That leaves the other point. That is, that the title could be referring to the girl Maria was talking about.

Also, I checked Maria's sprites. It's originally a greenish hair tie.
HeroicJay
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 11:32 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Nov 19 2011, 02:06 PM)
Does anyone have a sprite of Maria from FF3? She may just have a purple hair tie in the original, and, like all sprites, she doesn't change her clothes much.

Maria never appeared in Final Fantasy VI (III on the SNES). Not once.

There's a painting in Owzer's mansion that shows (probably) Maria wearing the same color hair tie as Celes in the opera scene, though.

There's a Maria in Final Fantasy II (the real one, not IV on the SNES) but she has no hair ties (her hair itself is purple in the official art and remakes, though.)
Gaius
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 12:39 AM

Regular

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Nov 19 2011, 10:31 PM)
To be fair, I think he is at least somewhat competent once in the game. That is, when you have Banon and you're floating down the river.
I dunno... He seemed like a giant purple octopus that just randomly attacked people. And lost. If you mean how he managed to throw Sabin out of the battle screen, then maybe. ^_^o I'd kinda attribute that to Sabin throwing himself into an underwater fight with a sapient octopus. But yeah, Ultros then went on to randomly harass the party in places increasingly far from his element (in a building on a peninsula, on top of a mountain, in the sky).

But yeah, I guess it really doesn't matter.
... Stupid brain, randomly missing that *mumble grumble* dry.gif
That leaves the other point. That is, that the title could be referring to the girl Maria was talking about.
I agree, that seems pretty likely.
... Incidentally, I'm curious where these FFVI events falls on the greater Videoland timeline. Is this before Bob visits FF IV with the Shard of Tears? Afterward, but before Wily (quite possibly) captures her? After she escapes Wily (again, presuming he captured her)?

This post has been edited by Gaius on Nov 20 2011, 12:43 AM
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 02:20 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

She appears, once you can ride the airship you can stop by the opera house and watch her in the real opera. I am not about to find a cartridge and do that to check a hair tie, though. She's a minor enough character she might go Soul Blazer Lisa crazy. Maybe. Perhaps the starlet stereotype will save her from the void, as the fact that she does not have someone she loves to betray her. She could eventually Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead! Yaaay!

So, strange girl, hmm. May be more important than this anyways.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 04:11 AM

Councilor

QUOTE (Gaius @ Nov 19 2011, 07:39 PM)
If you mean how he managed to throw Sabin out of the battle screen, then maybe. ^_^o I'd kinda attribute that to Sabin throwing himself into an underwater fight with a sapient octopus.

Actually, I meant that an inexperienced player could potentially lose that battle. And by "inexperienced", I mean something like a player playing all the way to that point, then having his/her little brother/sister bother him, wanting to play the game that their older sibling is playing, even though the child hasn't touched a SNES controller in his/her life. The older sibling gets annoyed enough to hand the kid the controller right before the battle. Then, and only then, could you potentially lose to Ultros.

EDIT: Also, note how I say you could *potentially* lose. There's still a good chance of victory. Just throwing that out there.

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Nov 20 2011, 04:12 AM
Gaius
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 04:48 AM

Regular

... I'll pretend that such isn't about as true as it is for his future fights, and that you didn't describe him as 'at least somewhat competent.' tongue.gif No reason to dwell on what appears to be an unpleasant memory.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 04:54 PM

Councilor

Actually, it's not even that. I made that tale up on the spot just to give an idea on how pathetic the thing was.

...<light bulb>Wait a second. Could it be possible that Ultros's continued failures will drive him to sorrow? I've even figured out how the next couple of scenes will play out.

1) Main characters realize Maria is kidnapped.
2) Main characters send Ultros/Chupon away, hopefully Team Rocket style.
3) Ultros consideres his actions up to now, realizing how he never seems to win.
4) Strange girl Maria mentioned finds Ultros, happens to be one of the Sovereign's agents, and touches Ultros.
5) Ultros actually becomes slightly competent (maybe, still unsure on this one) and goes back to fight main characters.
6) Haven't worked out this far yet.

EDIT: If you're not sure what Team Rocket style is, it's when they go "We're blasting off againnnnnnnnnn!" and poof into a little sparkle. You know the one.

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Nov 20 2011, 04:56 PM
HeroicJay
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 07:02 PM

Regular

There are some people who have trouble with the first Ultros fight - people who don't know how to use Banon (it's insta-Game Over if he falls, remember!) or people running low-level games. Spend some time on video game websites and you'll run into both varieties.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 08:01 PM

Councilor

HOW TO USE BANON (A BEGINNER'S GUIDE):
Step 1: Use Heal.
Step 2: Return to Step 1.

Low-level game?:
Levels mean virtually squat anyway. It's not like people don't normally beat the game at level 35.
Tonberry2k
Posted: Nov 20 2011, 09:49 PM

Veteran

Member No.: 54

http://spriters-resource.com/snes/ff6/sheet/31560

Celes is wearing "Maria"'s clothes at the wedding. It's a blue ribbon.

--------------------
user posted image

Sam: Norm you look down, what's wrong?
Norm: New boss chewed me out. Said I "Lack enthusiasm".
Cliff: Well, is that true?
Norm: I, uh I dunno. Maybe. Who cares?
Andrusi
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 02:05 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 78

Guys. You're all making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Clearly, Maria's hair ribbon is touched. She is going to have to fight her own hairstyle.

--------------------
user posted image
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 02:32 PM

Councilor

Yes. Clearly.
HeroicJay
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 07:39 PM

Regular

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Nov 20 2011, 01:01 PM)
HOW TO USE BANON (A BEGINNER'S GUIDE):
Step 1: Use Heal.
Step 2: Return to Step 1.

Low-level game?:
Levels mean virtually squat anyway. It's not like people don't normally beat the game at level 35.

You left out step zero:

Put him in the back row.

Seriously, if your level is too low, Ultros can OHKO a front-row Banon.
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0741 seconds | Archive