Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Stop Censorship, Keep the internet open and free
mordain
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 05:35 PM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

QUOTE (MFD @ Jan 19 2012, 09:18 AM)
I just feel like "it didn't hurt" isn't a very convincing argument to shut down. That's all. Sorry. If nobody would care that we blacked out... then why did we do it?

We could have posted SOPA filler on the site and had an engaging discussion about the protests on the forum.

I didn't say nobody would care. You cared, didn't you? I simply argued that it wasn't going to significantly impact new readers.

And if you want to discuss it, START DISCUSSING. I already made my wall of text. No one seems interested enough to say anything after that, probably because of how blindingly obvious the conclusion is (SOPA/PIPA is bad, mmkay?).

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
Blackdeathdraco
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 05:49 PM

Sage

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

If I may join in. I do agree that SOPA would be a bad thing, it would stop me from enjoying games that are unable to be gotten since they stopped producing em.

Also as Knight said, even parodies would be effected. That in itself would destroy CSNES and, to a greater extent, possibly all of fan-fiction. (Not that I really care for those mind rending fan fiction. tongue.gif )

Also, isn't it even better to try out the game before you buy em? Seems like it would be counter productive if people buy games that hate (unless they like to do that to themselves) just because they could never find out how the game seemed like?

An example is, I admit that I torrented "Dwarf?!" and found out that I hated the game-play. I am myself glad that I didn't buy it since it would waste money that I am now able to use for other things.

Edit: Fixed some grammar.

This post has been edited by Blackdeathdraco on Jan 19 2012, 05:51 PM

--------------------
When I'm bored, I like to wander around and cast X-Zone on random things.

"Sanity is the illusion of the insane." -Me

img src="http://www.animecubed.com/billy/pics/sigs/BDD.jpg">

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
MFD
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 05:50 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

Well, I read an article saying that 14 Senators announced opposition yesterday, including six of the bill's sponsors (mostly Republicans reacting to right-wing sites protesting).

Not seeing anything else about the impact. I guess SOPA is dead.

But piracy needs to be dealt with, and I agree with that even as I agree that SOPA is ineffective and harmful. What alternative to SOPA would work?

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
mordain
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 06:02 PM

Codewalker

QUOTE (Blackdeathdraco @ Jan 19 2012, 09:49 AM)
Also, isn't it even better to try out the game before you buy em? Seems like it would be counter productive if people buy games that hate (unless they like to do that to themselves) just because they could never find out how the game seemed like?

This is, presumably, what demos are for. I do agree that games need to have demos available more frequently, and that they should be more expansive than they often are now. The other alternative, which I use, is to never buy a game new. Wait for reviews, and read the ones that discuss the nitty-gritty of the gameplay (something else that might lead to sites getting shut down under SOPA/PIPA, if they use screenshots).

I guess SOPA is dead.

I wouldn't relax about it too much. They're going to try this again, and unless the bill's sponsors actually have a change of heart (which is incredibly unlikely), it's going to be just as restrictive as before. We got kind of lucky with SOPA and PIPA in that they were very poorly written, which made it easy to rally opposition... a well-written bill that actually takes care of piracy (at least somewhat), and still puts us under Chinese-level (or worse) internet censorship is entirely possible. And that's not even counting any nations that might put forward copycat SOPA/PIPA bills, and don't care about the right-wing american opposition...

--------------------
MikePB
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 06:14 PM

Geekomancer

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 30

Don't forget that the "author" of the bill Lamar Smith, is quite firmly in the pocket of the corporate backers of this... thing. As long as they keep stuffing money down his pants, he'll keep pushing the pre-written legislation.

--------------------

I say! What a wonderful butler. He's so violent!"
--The Fourth Doctor - City of Death
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 03:33 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

QUOTE (mordain @ Jan 19 2012, 12:02 PM)
bill that actually takes care of piracy (at least somewhat)

I don't think that any single government has the power to even give piracy a speed bump. There's literally nothing that can be done about piracy now. The only way it would stop is if everyone suddenly grew a conscience, which is equally impossible, if not more so.

Then again, I'm just a kid. What do I know?
mordain
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 03:50 AM

Codewalker

You can't stop it - what you CAN do is make a legal process that punishes the owners of websites that refuse to take down infringing content, after they've been served a cease-and-desist notice.

Saying "oh we can't stop piracy so why even try" is silly; copyrighted material is taken down off of websites all the bloody time. The solution in PIPA/SOPA was to shut down the websites the instant anything even remotely close to a copyright infringment appears. That isn't a solution, it's MPAA saying "We want to be able to shut down whoever we want whenever we want for any reason at all".

There's viable legal methods of doing it, and if the ones we have don't work people need to bloody well start putting their heads together and come up with a solution that isn't "NUKE IT FROM ORBIT", and will accept a solution other than 100% lack of piracy (which amounts to a 100% lack of internet, or people for that matter).

--------------------
raiderrpg
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:40 AM

Master

Member No.: 1,137

Just when we thought it was over....

(( Well, not really.... ))

Go google ACTA.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Got Miltank?
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:41 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

Don't forget OPEN. That one's anti-internet, too.

EDIT: Hey, the Stop Censorship censor bar on the logo disappeared.

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Jan 26 2012, 06:37 AM
Just Jon
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 01:26 AM

The Sexy One

Member No.: 3

Acta is signed into law via the president.

You know, I'm not the most staunch Obama supporter. I had high hopes that were dashed in two years. But the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012 have been real kicks in the gut. I don't want to support this man in any way.

--------------------
No fanfare, no special effects... Just Jon
user posted image
Out of Context Quote: "God DAMN these electric sex pants!"
Zap Rowsdower
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 03:33 AM

The artist formerly known as Randomlurker

Member No.: 73

I don't like it, but I still support him (it helps that this isn't my most important issue, decisionmaking-wise).

The alternatives are still worse, and probably would be worse in this area too given the Repubican proclivity for following business interests. Remember, with politics, it isn't about how bad they are in an absolute sense, since they all suck (mostly because the system is set up that way, and it is impossible not to given that all alternative forms of government suck even more), but a matter of which one is least bad. And you have to vote because if you don't, the more bad one might get in.

edit: Doesn't it also say Obama signed it in September? Kinda a delayed reaction to suddenly hate him for it NOW.

This post has been edited by Zap Rowsdower on Jan 28 2012, 03:42 AM

--------------------
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness." - Otto von Bismarck
invinible
Posted: May 1 2012, 02:27 AM

Postinator

Member No.: 183

Here is a link: http://killacta.org/ to get behind killing bills from the United Nations designed to undermine the work of getting rid of S.O.P.A. and its sister bill.
Algasir
Posted: Jul 4 2012, 05:52 PM

Green hair!

Member No.: 140

« Next Oldest | General Posting | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2354 seconds | Archive