InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

#761 - Memories of Oblivion, Or is it 661? Whatever
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 12:50 AM

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,212

But, if all of the magic will go into Celes, then what'll happen to Terra, who just regained the magic half of herself?

I also wonder, since he's a figment of the shard if Kefka will be absorbed into Celes as well, if you're right.

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 01:04 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

Well, assuming my theory is correct, Terra could either be too far away to be affected, or she's about to lose it again.
mordain
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 01:36 AM

Codewalker

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 72

It COULD be that Celes is re-absorbing all of the newly-restored magic in the entire world, but I think that's a bit of a long-shot.

since he's a figment of the shard... Kefka

I'm still not sold on this. He's seemed surprised by a lot of what's been going on and seem genuinely shocked by the revelation that there's new worlds. If he's a figment, then he's a figment with none of the memories/knowledge that the Touched gain; and if that's the case, what's the difference between this figment and the real deal?

(not sure if it matters to be honest)

Also... the 'song', based on prior events and Celes' reaction, is probably "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", which indicates that she's calling the Sovereign. Why does she think that the Sovereign is her mother? Especially if she's Young!Rydia, this doesn't make any sense to me. The Sovereign has appeared as other people in the past, but as far as I know no one has ever actually mistaken her for the person she was imitating (except Magus, who was desperate and dissuaded quickly).

--------------------
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 02:03 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

No one else has been 6 years old, either. Honestly, I have no idea why she thinks Row, Row, Row Your Boat is associated with her mother. Maybe we'll figure something out in the next comic.
jaimehlers
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 02:12 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

Okay, first, it seems that X-Zone does lead to the Void, as others suggested. However, it looks like the Void, at least in this Videoland, is the space between gameworlds. So it can go literally anywhere.

Second, I think it's possible that the song isn't actually the Sovereign's Song. However, that is not a chance anyone with any understanding of what the Sovereign's Song does would be willing to take.

Third, Omega Runic is probably not going to be simple magic absorption. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it was magic destruction, in fact - suck magic in with Runic, obliterate it with Omega energy. I have no idea if that would even work against Sorrow energy, though.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:29 AM

Regular

Perhaps, as a creation of the Shard, the Shard influences her memories. It's not a "suggestion" as I posited in the Crazy Theory thread, as Bob isn't a creation of the Shard. (Or is he?) But it's an "influence" all the same. Just a bit more.. direct. It's not so much that it's Kid!Rydia with the Shard as it is the Shard as Kid!Rydia.

Still, you're right, it's not confirmed that it's the song is the song...

I doubt that Runic would turn to destruction however. The Sovereign can only enhance, not add. Therefore, the mechanics of Runic can change (i.e. for all spells during Celes' turn instead of only the first, or having an overworld effect for a temporary duration/until Celes' MP is fully restored, or being able to target all non-contact abilities, etc.), but it won't destroy the magic recently restored, per se.

EDIT: Mordain: I'm thinking it only matters if Omega Runic is strong enough/enhanced to absorb Omega Energy; that is, if she absorbs the Shard-in-Child-Form, she could also absorb Kefka-recreated-by-the-Shard.

But, yes, it really doesn't matter otherwise...

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Feb 24 2012, 05:33 AM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
jaimehlers
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:33 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

Perhaps it'd be better to think of it as acting like a magic sink, so that the magic just gets sucked in (like a black hole).

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Tonberry2k
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:51 AM

Veteran

Member No.: 54

Hmm, is Kefka a recreation or a resurrection? Curiouser and curiouser.
Loving Celes's realizations. And I really want to learn more about the Void.

--------------------
user posted image

Sam: Norm you look down, what's wrong?
Norm: New boss chewed me out. Said I "Lack enthusiasm".
Cliff: Well, is that true?
Norm: I, uh I dunno. Maybe. Who cares?
mordain
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:51 AM

Codewalker

QUOTE (jaimehlers @ Feb 23 2012, 09:33 PM)
Perhaps it'd be better to think of it as acting like a magic sink, so that the magic just gets sucked in (like a black hole).

This is pretty much what I figured. She's acting like a magic vacuum cleaner for a little while, presumably to negate whatever effect the song has (be it summoning the Sovereign - unlikely - to simply releasing more sorrow energy onto the world).

Another observation I had recently is Celes'... exposition, for lack of a better word. She didn't understand at first that the others didn't know about the Warp Zones and Videoland and whatnot. It was inserted into her memory so seamlessly that she didn't even notice that anything was wrong until she was pressed on the matter and took a moment to think. That's... creepy on levels that I hadn't realized before. Maybe its the urgency of the situation, I dunno, or the fact that she was touched directly by the Shard, but she didn't even seem to have Lucca's instinct to keep out of game knowledge from other people (although my memory of that sequence is fuzzy and I don't want to speculate too much). She thought they already knew. That's... very thorough.

--------------------
MFD
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 03:35 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

Lucca's knows her knowledge is from the future. Celes's knowledge of the past would become memories. By its nature, it's more seamless.

Anyways, Runic, and presumably Omega Runic, absorb magic being generated while Runic is in play. It would not absorb past magic, like the Restoration or Kefka. Again, presumably. Logically. Not definitely.

As for Kid Rydia, I'm thinking she's a construct of the Shard. Rydia's childhood made corporeal. Such a construct is looking for an older female. The Bearer doesn't KNOW. She thinks it's her mommy. This doesn't mean that the Sovereign has red hair like Rydia's mother. It also doesn't mean that the Bearer isn't, for all intents and purposes, Kid Rydia.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 04:24 PM

Regular

I think it's more that, when Lucca was talking with the Elder et. al., she had been under the influence of the Mask for a while. We never saw her actual corruption, nor her state immediately afterwards. Nor Rydia's for that matter. Spoony, well, he went completely loopy. biggrin.gif

--------------------
mordain
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:11 PM

Codewalker

QUOTE (MFD @ Feb 24 2012, 07:35 AM)
Lucca's knows her knowledge is from the future. Celes's knowledge of the past would become memories. By its nature, it's more seamless.

Not necessarily. All I said was that it was more disturbing than I'd initially thought, I wasn't trying to speculate about it. Inserting memories doesn't HAVE to be seamless; the fact that it was at all when it was so wildly divergent from what she already knew is creepy.

--------------------
Alger
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 08:08 PM

Immigrant

Member No.: 397

This revives an idea ive had for a while might have been said already but, war of fire and ice doesnt really need the have to fight each other? It could be them leading an army together against videoland?
(Celes and Lucca I mean)
HeroicJay
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 05:24 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

BTW, that first panel just keeps making me think of Strong Bad's Homestar and Marzipan dating sim.
Blackdeathdraco
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 05:06 PM

Sage

Member No.: 32

Sadly I can't hear the joke, Strongbad + no subtitles + Hearing Impairment = gabbled words and flapping mouths that form no real words.

Ah well... I think people who leave subtitle text out of stuff like that are silly if they expect everyone to hear every word clearly.

--------------------
When I'm bored, I like to wander around and cast X-Zone on random things.

"Sanity is the illusion of the insane." -Me

img src="http://www.animecubed.com/billy/pics/sigs/BDD.jpg">

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
HeroicJay
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 07:47 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

QUOTE (Blackdeathdraco @ Feb 28 2012, 10:06 AM)
Sadly I can't hear the joke, Strongbad + no subtitles + Hearing Impairment = gabbled words and flapping mouths that form no real words.

Ah well... I think people who leave subtitle text out of stuff like that are silly if they expect everyone to hear every word clearly.

If you use Firefox, the Homestar Runner Wiki has an extension that adds subtitles to nearly everything on H*R:

http://hrwiki.org/wiki/HRWiki:Subtitles

But the joke in question here is something that, when you get the the appropriate part of the email, should be obvious even if the sound is turned off.
Blackdeathdraco
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 05:57 AM

Sage

Member No.: 32

Oh thanks, didn't realize they had a Strongbad extension. But yeah, mainly after Strongbad types in his reply it seems like he talks a bit and that is the part of the comedy that the hearing impaired people miss.

I will download that extension and maybe become a Strongbad fan. laugh.gif

--------------------
When I'm bored, I like to wander around and cast X-Zone on random things.

"Sanity is the illusion of the insane." -Me

img src="http://www.animecubed.com/billy/pics/sigs/BDD.jpg">

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1059 seconds | Archive