Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Cyberpunkmn RPG
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 08:09 AM

Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

So I've been kickin' some ideas back 'n forth with Algy for a little while, and we ended up hashing out most of an idea for a new Pokemon RP. Different mechanics that could be interesting, different ways for the obtaining pokemon, different requirements for reaching places and qualifying for... stuff. A balance of freedom of choice versus limited storage space for your mons-

Err, I guess we'll get to that more later if anyone's actually interested.

The idea is basically that it takes place in the vaguely distant future, where the whole "digitizing pokemon and storing them in computers" has evolved into an online world people can digitize themselves into. Ostensibly, the whole thing just takes place in one giant corporate owned mega city, but most of the RP would take place in the more diverse (and hopefully interesting) online world.

Think of it as... Blade Runner meets Tron.
...Batman Beyond meets Mega Man Battle Network...
...Shadowrun meets Digimon! (wait a minute...)

So would anyone be interested in giving this a shot?

...anyone at all?

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Apr 21 2012, 08:31 AM

--------------------
user posted image
Immolation
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 08:41 AM

Eternal Flame

Member No.: 86

*slowly raises hand*

--------------------
"How much time do you need?"
"Whatever you can get me. When the EMP goes off-"
"When it goes off, I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I, am a motherfucking ghost"
raiderrpg
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 03:15 PM

Master

Member No.: 1,137

Ehhh...

I've seen this done quite a few times, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't jump right in. Can we get a little more info?

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Got Miltank?
Nifar
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 09:42 PM

Sage

Member No.: 522

You had me at "Shadowrun meets Digimon."

--------------------
Out of Context Quote(s) of the Week: "Please don't stick bacon in my stab wounds."
Carmichael Micaalus
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 09:50 PM

Secretary of Maternal Relations

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

At first glance, I thought the thread was "Cyberpikmin RPG".

--------------------
user posted image
Everyday I'm tumbl'n.
"This bitch is makin' me all Paru..." ~Hang in There, Kogasa-san!
Notty
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 05:03 AM

Annoying Little Boy

Member No.: 19

What's this? Competition? I guess I'm gonna have to update now so I can squash you like a bug! Raar!

But seriously, I'm actually a little pissed I didn't think of something like this earlier! Tell me more!

And for god's sake man, show a little backbone! You should be more like "This is the best damn RP ever, and you little fucks will PLAY it, and you will LIKE IT."
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 09:23 AM

Guru

It is a year far from now, and in Devon City, trouble is... not brewing?!

Since the advent of the Porygon, the idea of digital life proceeded steadily. Eventually it became possible to create any pokemon from a purely digital source, and as these digital endeavors began to thrive the goal shifted from getting pokemon out of the computers to getting people into them. The pokeballs' ability to convert living matter into data to be stored online was taken to it's extreme, and we humans now use this electronic medium for more that just communication and entertainment. We can use it for food. We can use it to replace the brain's natural sleep cycle. We can use it for medicinal purposes. But most importantly... We use it for the Pokemon League.

There aren't many wild pokemon in Devon City. Long ago, the expansion of the urban environment across the whole of the region destroyed any vestiges of tall grass. Now people download their pokemon from officially licensed Devon Corporation sources, and prospective trainers (after being 'officially licensed' themselves) challenge the Admins of the various themed Boxes to earn the right to compete in the prestigious Devon League Tournament.

In terms of mechanics, the short of it is that rather than going around looking for wild pokemon, each site/box that you go to will have a list of pokemon you can choose to download to you pokegear. The limiting factor, then, is not random chance, but data storage space in your "Battle Dex" (read: active team) for all your mons and items. You start out with a certain amount, and then are allowed to use more for each Box Admin you beat. Weaker and less used pokemon take up take up fewer data units than the more powerful and prevalent ones. When you evolve a mon, the data it takes up increases too, of course.

Is that enough information to decide if you're interested, you cretins?!
(aw, who am I kidding? I love you guys!)

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Apr 22 2012, 09:24 AM

--------------------
user posted image
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 05:19 PM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

*signs up*

I only have one problem with the whole thing.
trouble is... not brewing?!

It's not a real Pokemon world if Team [insert noun here] isn't brewing trouble!
raiderrpg
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 05:34 PM

Master

Member No.: 1,137

Hm. I do like the box system...

Tentative interest, I guess.

--------------------
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Got Miltank?
Carmichael Micaalus
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:03 PM

Secretary of Maternal Relations

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 8

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Apr 22 2012, 10:19 AM)
*signs up*

I only have one problem with the whole thing.

It could be percolating.

--------------------
user posted image
Everyday I'm tumbl'n.
"This bitch is makin' me all Paru..." ~Hang in There, Kogasa-san!
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 06:14 PM

Councilor

Ah, this is true. All of my problems are now resolved.
Notty
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 09:13 PM

Annoying Little Boy

So, what exactly are the limits, here? Do you have your choice of every Pokemon? Or is it certain Pokemon are in certain 'regions'? Are the lists randomized or consistent? Can you take Legendary Pokemon at a high cost, or is it limited to the more mundane? What about pseudo-Legendaries? Are there move limits? What about TMs?
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 09:50 PM

Guru

As I said, each page/box has a different list of pokemon you can get from it. The lists are all different from each other and do not change, though some may share mons. There will be no legendary pokemon available on these lists. There might be some of the pseudo legendaries, but the costs are going to be prohibitive enough that you're not going to be able to have a team of, say, salamence, metagross, tyranitar, volcarona, blissey, and gyarados. Especially not with the more effective items.

The decision isn't entirely made, but TMs will probably be unlimited after you've beaten enough boxes.

There will also be more box admins to face than is required to qualify for the championship, but if you beat more you'll get more space to expand your team.

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Apr 22 2012, 09:19 AM)

Also, like trouble is ever really not brewing.

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Apr 22 2012, 09:53 PM

--------------------
user posted image
Notty
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 10:01 PM

Annoying Little Boy

Do items come pre-attached? Does the value of a Pokemon changed based on the item? (e.g. Eviolite Porygon2) How is a Pokemon's value measured? Would the Torchic line = the Chimchar line because both are starters, even though Infernape > Blaziken (assuming no Dream World)?

Are you and Algy co-GMing? Or just you? (Honestly, as long as it's not me, I don't really care! >.>)
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 10:46 PM

Councilor

I would assume that each 'Mon has a point cost and each item has a point cost. Such as, say, getting a Torchic costs 50 points, but getting an Oran Berry would cost an extra 10 points or something.

And I could be completely wrong. biggrin.gif
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 11:42 PM

Guru

Items are exchangeable, and each one has its own value. Eviolite and Life Orb, for example, being expensive, while Lum Berries are less so.

For the most part, dream world abilities -will- be available, for the sake of mixing things up from the main PKMNRP.

The costs, on the other hand, are... well, okay, I can't think of a
fancy way to put this. They're based on tiers with variations based on usage statistics within those tiers.

And since I may not have made it clear earlier... no, not every pokemon is going to be available.

Algy has agreed to GM from time to time, as I am a terrible person who has been known to stop updating from time to time.

--------------------
user posted image
Notty
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 11:57 PM

Annoying Little Boy

I have to urge caution on using tiers and not allowing certain Pokemon within those tiers.

For instance, Ferrothorn is a top tier Pokemon, but a lot of that has to do with how Dragon-centric the standard metagame can be. If you remove, say, Latios and Latias from the equation, it's value would go down.

Also, not all Legendaries are created equal. Not allowing Legendaries means banning Pokemon like Regigigas, which would have roughly the same value as...Delcatty.

Just things to keep in mind! I love the idea of the game within the game of trying to build the most cost efficient teams.
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 01:08 AM

Guru

Legendaries aren't all created equal, but in "In Universe" terms, they're special and unique.

And yes, mom, I'm keeping that in mind.

Also, get on AIM so I can yell at you! You haven't been on in two months!

This post has been edited by Cyrus on Apr 23 2012, 01:20 AM

--------------------
user posted image
Notty
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 01:52 AM

Annoying Little Boy

Hey, if we're keeping count, Trillian would say YOU haven't been on in SIX months! So there, turniphead!
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:16 AM

Councilor

QUOTE (Cyrus @ Apr 22 2012, 08:08 PM)
And yes, mom, I'm keeping that in mind.

Interesting. Notty is Cyrus' mother. I'll keep this in mind. tongue.gif
« Next Oldest | Serious RP | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0700 seconds | Archive