Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (84) « First ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The CSNES forum presents...., Crazy Joe's CRAZY INSANE THEORY EMPORIUM
MFD
Posted: Dec 16 2011, 01:01 PM

THIEF!

Group: Demi-mod
Member No.: 7

My theory is that the Shard is the current embodiment of Omega Energy, entropy. The Sovereign absorbed the Shadow King (the previous embodiment of Omega Energy) into herself when she defeated him. It's what made her the super scary foe in Proto-Man's Day of Sorrow flashback.

I also posit that the Mask is the embodiment of Sorrow. The effects of entropy on Videoland affected Lana, and gave her Sorrow. That made her the Sovereign of Sorrow before absorbing the Shadow King.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe
Technogeek
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 12:12 AM

Immigrant

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,203

I think I may have the ultimate crazy-ass theory to unleash upon an unsuspecting Internet:

Eggplant Wizard is a stage three Touched with the power to end Videoland

For evidence I present these comics:
http://www.captainsnes.com/2002/08/01/170-...an-actual-rote/
http://www.captainsnes.com/2002/11/23/234-...hite-wolf-fans/
http://www.captainsnes.com/2010/05/28/624-...ding-videoland/
http://www.captainsnes.com/2010/07/10/628-private-time/

From #170 and #234, we learn that Eggplant Wizard apparently believes that Jack Chick was right and that tabletop RPGs can teach real magic. #624 has the "not a lie, but a deception" statement that Videoland works in the way the Gamemaster expects it to. #628 shows us that stage three Touched have powers that are either equivalent to or in some way tied to those of the Gamemaster (note that Liza's proof that Alex was the Gamemaster is that he was unaffected by the Pause command).

The underlying question that we should be asking from the first two comics would be, "Where did he get the rulebook?" Awareness of the real world is an established trait of the Touched, but Spoony doesn't exactly seem to have a copy of the Final Fantasy IV strategy guide anywhere on him (or even a printout of the more critical pages of a GameFAQs walkthrough, presumably laminated so that he doesn't have to worry about paper cuts). The only known situation in which physical objects are brought from the real world into Videoland is the arrival of a Gamemaster. As one of the Touched, Eggplant Wizard would be aware of the M:tA rulebook, and powers equivalent to those of the Gamemaster would allow him to obtain one in Videoland.

Now, as I said above, the fourth comic shows just how closely the Sovereign is tied to the Gamemaster's powers, which include "make Videoland be what the Gamemaster expects". This is basically the single most absurdly overpowered ability you could give to someone who thinks the magic rules from Mage: the Ascension work in "real life", and not in the least because it would actually allow them to work. We're talking "unilaterally define the Consensus" levels of overpowered here. Fortunately for Videoland, Eggplant Wizard is an idiot. He has no idea how powerful he really is, and almost certainly lacks the imagination needed to be any real threat. All he can do with his Gamemaster-knockoff Touched powers is use Mage: the Ascension rules to cast spells and conceal any symptoms of being Touched.

After all, he expects himself to be the same lame-ass villain he always was...and so that is what he remains.
Zap Rowsdower
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 12:20 AM

The artist formerly known as Randomlurker

Member No.: 73

There are theories and some evidence that the Sovereign is made of Omega energy, something from our world, right? Well, I think I've figured out how Alex defeats her, and why he says that she isn't dead, but that she won't be hurting anybody anymore.

Alex is going to take her into himself, absorbing the Omega energy that comprises her being into the natural pool of Omega energy that he possesses as a being from the world of chance and stardust. This is also why he seems so remorseful in the "present" comics.

--------------------
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness." - Otto von Bismarck
Sir Donald
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 06:21 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,212

Technogeek: Do not forget this comic. I mean, the ability to access cartoon characters as your Super and your Id (along with knowledge of those concepts as expressed in the comic immediately previous) has to be a symptom of something

Zap: Apart from the sheer "wrongness" of how that sounds, this may also be why "Ryan" saw him as a threat, even though he did not know it. Presuming that "Ryan" is a legit GameMaster.

UPDATE with my own minor theory:

So, looking at current events, I felt that what happened at Mysidia would soon happen at Figaro. So I read through that demi-arc again and saw the proclamation of the Mistress of Flame.

Look closely at panel 4 of that comic: "I am the Mistress of Flame, who shall burn away the pain of this world. ... who shall end the sorrow of His world." (capitalization as original.)

The pain of this world, the sorrow of His world.

Methinks that the "His" in that statement refers to The Shadow King. (Of course, if a certain former Queen is the Sovereign, she could be referring to Kevin... except that the 8-bit world was already changed...)

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Jan 21 2012, 06:42 PM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 01:07 AM

Regular

New post for a new theory:

In yesterday's comic, we see the Shard of Tears in action.

This has lead me to believe that the Shard can create a physical shell through the sorrowful memories of others.

Which lead me to the question: How did the shard know to target Rydia?

Perhaps the shard has knowledge of all sorrows, or at least those of the world where the Body is, but how could it capitalize on that knowledge?

Here is my theory:

The Shard is also powerful enough to implant suggestions into those who handle it directly, when it has no corporal form of its own. Hence, how Bob went to FF4 and how Bob got the idea to "activate" the shard.

This theory could also explain his comment at the end of that flashback, "... because of my weakness."

EDIT: This power may have been how the destruction of Tetris was achieved, indirectly.

I would also think that Samus' Chozo-Mental would be no match for this power of the Shard.

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Feb 12 2012, 01:11 AM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 02:34 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

Well, while my brain was going on it's internal wiki walk, something dawned on me. It has been said that when all three pieces of the Sovereign are together, Alex will kiss her main body to awaken her. Of course, we've seen Alex. We know he wouldn't do something like that.

Then I remembered that the Shard and Mask were likely to be the Sovereign's heart, based on their shape.

The idea dawned on me that the Sovereign is someone Alex knows, someone he loves and/or loved. Alex might, on realizing they have no weapons against Sorrow, try to kiss her to show her love and try to stop the Sorrow. It's honestly the only explanation that I can think of where everything said so far about what will happen in that great battle on the Moon will be true.

Now, the question is, who is the Sovereign?

Assuming what I've said is true (probably not, but let's roll with it), then I doubt it's Queen Lana. It's also not Birdo (speaking of, the mutant-Yoshi needs to learn proper Pig Latin). One idea is that it might be Hope Keene. Of course, that's kind of creepy considering that she was Alex's babysitter. So basically, there's no way of truly knowing at this point.

...So. /waits for people booing and throwing tomatoes
jaimehlers
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 05:53 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

I don't think the Shard "knew" to target Rydia. I think it was serendipity, if that's the right word, due to Rydia's dissonance between her child and adult selves. That isn't to say that the Shard can't have some kind of "temptation" power, like the One Ring. It could be no more complicated than a "use me" feeling, and Bob figured that it couldn't hurt anything there.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 05:57 AM

Councilor

I doubt it. If that were the case, then it would be nothing more than coincidence. And Videoland oh-so-hates coincidences.
MFD
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 06:09 AM

THIEF!

Man, no. Bob was tricked into bringing the shard to FFIV, plain and simple, world of the Sovereign's tomb.

THEN, the Shard touched Rydia (as it would have anyone), and grew itself Kid Rydia from Rydia's childhood memories, to act as a body. But... it's Kid Rydia now. A kid. It's been acting on instinct, running away, etc.

--------------------

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest And the creatures who crawl, run, and creep. I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.
- Go the Fuck to Sleep

"Yeah, well. We're building a bomb. You do the opposite of what the warning labels say."
jaimehlers
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 02:30 PM

Regular

MFD: Why do you think I mentioned the One Ring? It's exactly the same thing as the One Ring corrupting its wielders to try to get back to Sauron.

I just don't think that it was done specifically to target Rydia. Though I agree that wasn't coincidence that Rydia was there. We have to remember that the Sovereign isn't the only one who can arrange "accidents". It wasn't the Sovereign who caused Rosa to get flattened by a treasure chest, after all.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 07:08 PM

Regular

Here is a nice little comparison comic; or at least a comic within a nice comparison arc.

QUOTE (Alex)
It's hard to say when the Sovereign is manipulating things, and when Videoland is just being itself.

The creation of Kid!Rydia may not have been what the Sovereign intended, but if there is an active power against her, then I doubt the after effects (the rise of the Drab Lord, Chrono's potential corruption, Celes' (et. al's?) corruption, etc.) were wanted by that power either...

Actually, the rise of the Drab Lord, along with the summoning of the Elemental Emperors, especilly Milon, may have been what the Sovereign intended after all. I mean, thus far, the Drab Lord has destroyed Baron Castle, as well as holding its King and Queen hostage and out of action for the present. Also, his and Rydia's actions have also resulted in The destruction of the Baronian Air Fleet.

Taken all together, I'd say, as does Alex, that the Sovereign got the better end of that deal, even if Kid!Rydia did nothing. Milon's stupidity and arrogance (or Lucca's resistance) notwithstanding. (And even then, he has a successor...)

And again, that's if Kid!Rydia's actions had no effect. Sophie has posited in the #759 thread that Shard!Celes would be Mask!Lucca's chief foe in the War of Fire and Ice. (Here you could make the argument that the "good power" wanted Terra to regain her powers, but would it be worth that cost?) Granted, the original intent would have been to hide out in Nexus, (where Bob (and Otto) sent Alex after escaping the Drab Lord's trap!) but still, the gathering of "touched" forces could only help the Sovereign. Would it help her significantly enough to be an end in its own right? No. When tied to reducing the number of potential allies for Alex? Yes.

-----

On a side note, something that EoD said, combined with Sophie's prediction, kind of locks in the motive for the Fire&Ice War: Those that are touched are forever linked, though imperfectly, with the Sovereign. So what if you were touched by only 1/3rd of the Sovereign? And how would you react to those touched by a separate 1/3rd?

Then again, what of people like Max Force, who were touched by the Sovereign in her full power?

--------------------
jaimehlers
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 07:32 PM

Regular

So, what is this War of Fire and Ice? I don't remember reading about it in the comic.

--------------------
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 10:21 PM

Regular

The "War of Fire and Ice" is mentioned in "Ryan"'s Profile on Alex displayed at the start of Intermission 1

--------------------
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 12 2012, 10:46 PM

Councilor

Hmm...based on the comic Sir Donald linked, Alex will be involved in this war. What side will he fight on? Will he assist Celes and the Shard? Or Lucca and the Mask? Or will he take a third option to defeat them both? We already know that Lucca survives, since she's seen playing Battleship with Marle in Ryan(?)'s base.
Sir Donald
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 01:27 AM

Regular

I think we can take for granted that Alex is a 3rd Option guy.

What I'd really like to know is whether this is before the Battle of the Lunarian Moon or part of its aftermath.

Hopefully we'll get our answer sometime this decade...

--------------------
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 02:04 AM

Councilor

Pfft, the War of Fire and Ice is dated for 2193. It's in fine print after the name in the list. *Really* fine print. tongue.gif
MFD
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 04:46 AM

THIEF!

The World of Stardust and Chance

I know people have said it before, but Tyson lays it out really well here.

--------------------

- Go the Fuck to Sleep

Gaius
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 03:23 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,232

I don't think we have any more info about the War of Fire and Ice than 'it happens, and Alex is involved.' It may not boil down to 'Fire side vs. Ice side.' All it means is that Fire and Ice define the conflict, whether they're in opposition, on the same side, or pursuing their own agendas in the midst of the actual reason the war was fought.*

* In that latter case, a reason that apparently seemed less important once those two factors got involved.

That said, yeah, from the cast we've got, Fire and Ice seem pretty likely to be Lucca and Celes (other than Marle, Rubicante, and Terra, I can't think of any fire- or ice-designated characters in play). Two max-level mage characters enhanced by the Sovereign's power seem world-shaping enough.

EDIT: And nice link, MFD. ^_^

This post has been edited by Gaius on Mar 8 2012, 03:28 PM
MFD
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 03:54 PM

THIEF!

Thing is, Celes starts with Blizzard... but she's more versatile in what she knows. Her opening spell is literally her only connection to Ice. Lucca's a good fit for Fire, in addition to her skillset, she is the Mistress of Flames.

That said... she is the most likely candidate, being Touched in the opposite way from Lucca. And who else could it be? Marle is a good choice, but limits the conflict to Chronos.

Samus is best known for Ice Beam.

That's all the ice-affiliated characters I can think of.

--------------------

- Go the Fuck to Sleep

HeroicJay
Posted: Mar 9 2012, 06:17 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

Actually, Celes naturally learns Blizzara and Blizzaga too, and attack spells of no other elements besides Holy.

I can't blame you for not knowing, though: by the time she'd learn Blizzara, you probably already have Shiva. And Valigarmandr (Tritoch) is pretty easy to get in the World of Ruin, so you'll probably have that covered before she'd learn Blizzaga (and you'd have to stick Valigarmandr on her to learn Thundaga anyway.)
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (84) « First ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.9362 seconds | Archive