Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (84) « First ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The CSNES forum presents...., Crazy Joe's CRAZY INSANE THEORY EMPORIUM
Sir Donald
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 03:03 PM

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,212

New Page, New Theory!

And perhaps the craziest of them all...

We know that Destruction/Sorrow is Purple and that Creation/Hope is Green...

But a new text color has recently come into play. Red.

And one thing that is said in that color in this comic really gets to me. "Stardust Lies".

This comic mentions the "world of star-dust and chance". But it also mentions the "True World". We know that one refers to Videoland and the other, our world. We're presuming that the "True World" is Videoland. Let's follow this presumption for a second:

Following the presumption, it can thus be theorized that Red represents an anti-Real World force. Perhaps even an anti-Gamemaster force.

And what is more anti-GameMaster... than the Inner Evils.

Now, the converse, that "Stardust" refers to Videoland, means that either it's the lies of the Sovereign, or, again, the lies of the GameMaster. And what are the Inner Evils trying to do? Prevent the Sovereign from rising by killing the GameMaster!

Therefore, Red represents the Inner Evils and Terra is being possessed by one.

"Impossible," you say? Call to witness: Zeromus, a.k.a. "Hatred"! He always speaks in red text!

Now, I know what you're saying: Cynicism (and Arrogance) don't have Red text. Well, I attribute that to the difference between adopting a form based on the Real World, and possessing a Video Game sprite.

Now, the question becomes which of the remaining two evils is possessing her: I think this comic provides a clue.

QUOTE (Algasir @ Mar 14 2012, 03:13 AM)
Escapism?  Not really.  Though I can't really think of a proper word for "fuck off and leave me alone" right now.

I'd say the "proper word", Algasir, is Apathy. (It initiated the Warp spell as a form of self-protection, EDIT: but it's in-character lack of studying left it fumbling around trying to get to the proper term.)

Though, if my theory is true, it's interesting that the only IE unaccounted for is the one that Alex is supposed to confront next... Hypocrisy.

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Mar 15 2012, 03:21 PM

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
jaimehlers
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 10:17 PM

Regular

Member No.: 1,261

If that is Apathy, then it will prove that an Inner Evil can inhabit a Videoland sprite (instead of just taking the form of one).

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 12:40 AM

Councilor

Member No.: 1,266

I've got a few problems with that theory.

It's not new. I believe the Eater of Dreams had it first.

And what is more anti-GameMaster... than the Inner Evils.

First off, the anti- prefix here is extremely ambiguous. Do you mean that they are simply against him? Or do you mean that they are the sole opposite of him? Or do you mean that they are simply what he is not?
Of course, it doesn't matter. The Inner Evils are none of these. They are parts of Alex. Part of his being. It's like saying the darkness is anti-Dark Knight Cecil.

I'd say the "proper word", Algasir, is Apathy. (It initiated the Warp spell as a form of self-protection, EDIT: but it's in-character lack of studying left it fumbling around trying to get to the proper term.)

Apathy doesn't quite fit there, anyway. If she were apathetic, as you claim, then why would it matter if they were hit by the blast? The evils know the nature of Videoland. Why does it matter if another sprite is deleted in this conflict? Why worry over one sprite? Why waste the time to save herself?
Then there's the idea that Apathy would possess Terra, of all people. She's not an apathetic person. You can look to Mobliz, WoR for that one. Why not Shadow/Clyde? I would think that he would be a more apt candidate for Apathy.

That's all I got right now. I might edit this with more if I can think of anything.
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 02:38 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

It is pretty apathetic to save yourself and leave your friends. Pretty much against everythign Terra is, as well.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
Sir Donald
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 02:37 PM

Regular

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Mar 15 2012, 08:40 PM)

It's not new. I believe the Eater of Dreams had it first.

--------------------
It's a flimsy pretext, but I'm sure that the N-Team have gotten away with worse.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 08:34 PM

Councilor

Ah, so he does. I'd also like to note that he (that is, the EoD) seems to be somewhat against Gato destroying Alex's Control Pad, if I remember right. Hmm...

EDIT: Clarified post.

This post has been edited by aturtledoesbite on Mar 26 2012, 08:41 PM
Sir Donald
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 09:43 PM

Regular

All Aboard the Omega Zone Express!

I mentioned in the comic's thread that Celes didn't have a specific destination in mind for Kidia when she used Omega Zone. That doesn't necessarily hold for the Sovereign.

Besides, there has to be some meaning to her prophesy to Magus regarding Damcyan castle. I'm thinking the Shard (as Kidia) will end up in the Mushroom Kingdom after Bowser's (off-screen) defeat and it'll be Mario (of all people) to suggest bringing Kidia back to her own world. Just in time for the Peace Conference!

I say "of all people" because I think that his status with regards to the Sovereign is much like Cecil's: "Immune to direct attacks, yes. And he couldn't be made to serve her..." but that's different from being tricked into doing her bidding, as Mega was...

EDIT 4/4: And as to the earlier question about why Apathy would choose Terra: Terra is insanely over-powered from a game where you can insanely over-power characters. Apathy doesn't have to do any work building her up or anything. And, so, if something gets in the way of Apathy-as-Terra, all she has to do is Ultima the obstacle out of the way.

Two minor theories (EDIT: And an add-on) for the price of 1 big one! Don't delay! Come on Down!

This post has been edited by Sir Donald on Apr 4 2012, 09:16 PM

--------------------
HeroicJay
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 07:49 AM

Regular

Member No.: 1,207

Wait, with comic #771, I think I suddenly have an idea what Omega Energy really is. Entropy seems to be close, but not quite.

Free will. Ability to deviate from fate. Ability to ignore the script, rather than act out your predefined role in the game. And maybe a little genuine randomness thrown in for good measure.

In the real world, there is no script. Fate hasn't been proved to exist, and even if it does, it's far more arbitrary than in a video game. Your role in life is subject to choice as well as circumstance. Thus, Omega Energy is everywhere.

The characters in the comic refer to the real world as one of "stardust and chance". If you know a little about quantum mechanics and the many-worlds hypothesis, it really emphasizes the "chance" part of that. Look up the Double-slit Experiment if you want your mind blown (long story short: particles behave one way if you can't detect exactly what each one did, a different way if you try to detect how each one behaved, and back to the original way if you try to detect them BUT THEN ERASE THE RESULTS BEFORE ANYONE SEES THEM. Seriously, this really happens.)

But in a video game, there's very little opportunity to deviate from your predestined fate, especially true in older video games. Any chance that exists is really just arcane game variables playing off of each other. Any deviation from the script tends to result in Game Over - that is, death. And even when that's not the case, wouldn't the realization that the hand fate has dealt you isn't necessarily for the best be a realization that leads to sorrow or possibly even insanity?

Also, think about the change in Kevin's behavior (as well as his inability to return to the real world). I've been long-unsatisfied with the answer of him being Mirror Kevin, especially since we KNOW one thing changed: his Omega Energy was removed.

The concentrated Omega Energy shortly after this broke down the rules even of his own cartoon (that no one dies, not even the villains; that Mother Brain is never captured; and that heroes don't needlessly hurt villains who are in no position to pose a threat.) But afterward, Kevin acts subdued. "Keene is less than inspiring now," says the Bionic Commando. And let's not forget how Kevin's actions around Lana's death (?) seem "almost inhuman". He's not acting evil, but he's certainly not acting like himself, because he's acting out his role in the story, unable to choose his own actions.

Just my musings.

This post has been edited by HeroicJay on Apr 16 2012, 08:36 AM
jaimehlers
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 03:38 PM

Regular

I think entropy is still a valid description for what Omega energy is and does. It allows things to be changed in ways not intended by "fate". But it is extremely difficult (impossible is more like it) to then change things for the better all around; help one person, hurt two others. Sorrow/Despair is the knowledge that no matter what you do, it'll make things worse in the long run, and it comes straight from entropy.

Humans don't notice it because it's expected to be that way, so they're usually okay with a situation that ends up reasonably good for them. But a sprite, used to "the way things are meant to be", have no built-in defense against the knowledge that no matter what they do, things can never be how they're meant to be again, and will just get worse as time goes on.

--------------------
Please do not "help" me by merging threads I make into the ridiculously large ones that seem like they have everything but the kitchen sink related to that topic.
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 01:23 AM

Councilor

That brings up a question, though. You say Kevin is following a script now that his Omega Energy has been removed. What script is he following? Where are his actions coming from?
Sir Donald
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 01:53 AM

Regular

My theory on that:

Pair the discussion of today's comic with this one from over a year ago.

Mother Brain was promoted to give Kevin a sworn enemy
The Sovereign was created (for whatever sense of the term) to give either Alex or the true Gamemaster a foe. And that could mean that Alex is the true Capt. SNES after all.

In other words, the Sovereign wrote the script from the series' end. And only Alex and Schrodinger can modify it. The Sovereign can see Alex's deviations... but not Schrodinger's. (So could Schrodinger be the true Capt. SNES instead?)

So the answer to the question posed in #643 is "He can't be blamed any more than the victim of an auto accident (or the one who caused it for that matter) be blamed for someone suffering from a disaster because they were late in getting to Point B due to that accident. It's all just a dumb combination of Natural 1s."

--------------------
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 01:59 AM

Councilor

That would make sens, Schrodinger being Capt. SNES. After all, he was the one to come through the portal the first time around, when Hope called for a Gamemaster.
jaimehlers
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 03:55 AM

Regular

I don't think Schrodinger is the true Captain SNES. I think he's supposed to be the equivalent of Duke, and the Sovereign keeps missing him because villains almost never pay attention to the hero's animal companion unless they're trying to threaten the hero. I mean, we're not even talking something that appears as threatening as a typical videogame monster. Who pays attention to a dog or a cat beyond "Good boy!"

--------------------
aturtledoesbite
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 04:00 AM

Councilor

QUOTE (jaimehlers @ Apr 16 2012, 10:55 PM)
Who pays attention to a dog or a cat beyond "Good boy!"

Those who say "Good girl!" instead. tongue.gif
invinible
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 04:36 PM

Postinator

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (aturtledoesbite @ Apr 17 2012, 04:00 AM)
QUOTE (jaimehlers @ Apr 16 2012, 10:55 PM)
Who pays attention to a dog or a cat beyond "Good boy!"

Those who say "Good girl!" instead. tongue.gif

I do.
Spriteless Girl
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 12:36 AM

Sage

Member No.: 22

Hope Keene is an angst-fick writer.

--------------------
At any given moment it's hard to remember the headspace of every other given moment. But I live in space a lot.
Sir Donald
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 05:10 AM

Regular

QUOTE (Spriteless Girl @ Apr 19 2012, 08:36 PM)
Hope Keene is an angst-fick writer.

So, by your theory, Hope Keene is the Gamemaster?!?!

What is this, I don't even...

--------------------
Cyrus
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 06:42 AM

Guru

Member No.: 70

No, no, see, Kevin Keene is still the gamemaster, but he's been going through a really bad phase of self doubt. And depression. And schizophrenia. And maybe multiple personality disorder.

--------------------
user posted image
jaimehlers
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 11:20 AM

Regular

And I guess he's interested in properly representing those multiple personalities, like that male villain in Code Veronica?

--------------------
jaimehlers
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 01:31 AM

Regular

This is a not-so-crazy theory, but based on the most recent comic, #772, it seems like the Sovereign is essentially the "god" of Videoland. Any denizen of Videoland can come under her sway, although her power is currently limited by being broken into pieces. She can change the past and accurately see the future, thus obliterating any meaning from the present.

Beings tied to the real world appear to be immune to her power. Schrodinger, for example, is invisible to her sight, and I think Alex could have been if he had not come into Videoland next to a Touched sprite (Lucca). Consider: Schrodinger is invisible to the Sovereign's sight, because the Sovereign does not know to look for him. Alex himself could also be invisible to the Sovereign's sight, but since she knows to look for him, she can see him by the indirect effects he has in Videoland or through the perceptions of Touched sprites. She might have been able to see those effects anyway, but she might not have been able to see Alex.

Another key point is that the Sovereign's future sight is flawed (and not just from Schrodinger). I couldn't find it in the archives, but I recall her (or someone) mentioning that Alex would find her body on the Lunarian moon, and kiss her, and that would be the end. I find it rather peculiar that her future sight basically ends there. She seems to assume that this means that it is the end of all things, but all it seems to say is that she doesn't see anything in the future beyond that.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Comic-by-comic | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (84) « First ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.4415 seconds | Archive