Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Concert Jazz Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Miles Davis new box set
tonydavies
Posted: Jul 22 2007, 02:11 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

I've just seen some forward promotion for a 6 CD boxset of the complete sessions of the "On the Corner" record.

If you don't know the record,it was released in 1972 and is more or less fusion, but is not the equal of "bitches brew" or the towering "jack johnson". It was panned by critics at the time of it's release.

It was is also noteworthy for it's controversal "Blaxploitation" cover art.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f..._the_corner.png

The passage of time however has been kind to the album and it is now often cited as a direct influence on the development of hip-hop and rap.

Ordinarily, I would say that the single CD of On the Corner is more than enough for anyone, but, having bought all of the other "complete session" boxsets, I have found that the extra material often serves to make sense of the released music.

On any case for anyone interested the boxset it to be released on 18th September and it currently available for pre order on Amazon at a wallet worrying 74.49, ouch!
Jazz Eddie
Posted: Jul 23 2007, 09:27 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I came late to this Miles Davis issue - On the Corner - having wondered why he had moved from acoustic jazz to Electrified Expression - that of the trumpet in one hand and a potentiometer in the other - but there is no barrier. Miles was certainly in touch with what was going on in the periphery of Black Street Music - this is an album directed at the youth of the the day from the Master of jazz trumpet and indicates the Crossover ability of any musician who is prepared to trade and evolve. Yet having offerred a hearing to many youngsters who are listening to mixes and hip hop it is still very demanding on the ear but Gees it certainly swings in that idiom. Follow Tony's lead dig in to these sessions - and marvel at the mans ability in late years to point to a further horizon for evolving trends.

Miles was also a very fine Artist with the the more conventional Brush and Pallette and his artistic expression clearly new little bounds. There is more to jazz than a Blue Note.

Take you wallett and invest in this explorative release then plumb down through the depths for greater insight as to the masters touch. Miles will echo well into the the Second Jazz Century having spanned and moulded half of the First.
« Next Oldest | Contemporary Jazz | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0253 seconds · Archive