InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Groove Organic. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Behind the scenes...
Nashya
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 02:31 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

So, okay NO new comic stuff but I tend to randomly upload things to my server so I can share them with friends. Back when I could anyway. I figured I could drop the links here for whatever I put up in the last year but never actually shared XD!

First off, I get asked sometimes about FG's logo. It's not a font. I'm no Typographer so the art of TEXT was totally foreign to me way back when I started working on this... I spent months attempting to design logos. I would take a font and cut it up in Photoshop to make it into a new font and studied other comics logos. Eventually I was like "EFF this" and I DREW my own.

(Posted Image)

This is the one on the cover...

(Posted Image)

I haven't put any new covers online because I was never satisfied with the logo XD;;. Still. I've tweaked it a bit so it's not as tall or as wide and I took the bottom part out because it makes the logo look confined or something. When it's just open letters it lets me use it all over the cover instead of just at the top. In the print version there'll be covers for chapters two, three, and so on and I'm debating making a new one for chapter one to match the rest of the book. We'll see.

And!

(Posted Image)

>___> The page with NO shading. I'll admit I'm always amazed by how drastically different the flats to shading looks. Thankfully a semi-new technique I use makes me feel a little less suicidal when I get to pages like this XD!

I hope in the future I can post snippets and stuff while I work so you can all see what things look like before and after. I'll keep dumping stuff here until I run out of what's already uploaded :D! Enjoy and feel free to ask FG related art questions. I'll do my best to answer ^^.
Ivory13
Posted: Dec 11 2009, 05:11 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 303

QUESTIONS! i ask all of my favorite comic writers this and your my newest one sooo whats your favorite page so far and what was the hardest page to make
Nashya
Posted: Aug 27 2010, 12:41 AM

Administrator

(copy pasted from my Art LJ)

Okay, I officially finished volume 1 of FG as of last night. 108 pages of story. It's a weirdly even number and it's more pages than I thought I'd ever get through. Took forever. I ordered a proof copy of what the collected edition will be and now that I have scoped out and corrected every single error, I realized I have to do this over again for however many volumes long I plan on making this story. Part of me wants to die @__@;;;.

One thing I can say is I learned a LOT. I'm REALLY excited to start coloring chapter 6 vol. 2. I feel much more confident as a comic artist. That's a while off though. This is sort of a quick recap of a few things I noticed and learned how to do. I should mention; it took forever to figure out how to do this stuff only for the sake of streamlining and cutting down my comic page work flow. Go figure.

(Panels from FG #5: It's very Apple-Boy centric)
(Posted Image)

Sometimes I finish a page, close it, open it days later and go "@___@;;;?" I know I used Overlay and Gaussian blur a lot XD;;. Guh, most of these pages I did under a time crunch and I was trying to CHEAT effects... I really like a lot of the effects but damn... Shoulda taken notes... I hope I can do them again. There's a lot of glowing magical things in FG. I don't want the magic to be so overdone it's annoying. I remember hearing people complaining about how in the Harry Potter movies, it was obnoxious to see people use magic to do something as simple as move a chair. Personally, I thought that stuff was pretty cool. It added lots of touches of magic, literally, to the otherwise mundane yet beautiful backdrop of of London. I mean, for the Wizardering world, magic <i>is</i> as easy as breathing (or moving a chair).

I want to keep the fact that they use magic sort of subtle in FG. It'd be new and amazing to Vielle and obviously to the reader, but I don't want people walking around chanting incantations in the middle of talking. So no one will be yelling, "FIREBALL" (or FIRE 3,) while walking up the street, Heheheh! It's just weird. In the end I figured I'd just do something cool with the text bubble to show, even though they're saying "YO!", they might be casting a spell at the same time. So text bubbles can taper off and blend with a spell bubble! *feels clever* I spend a lot of time making the word bubbles part of the art so why not do this too? Here's some examples of the Incantation-less spells.

(Posted Image)

Um... so drawing these was insanely time consuming. I complain about how long it takes to draw the text bubbles in all the time and I whined about it to a friend one night. She was like, "Uh, you aren't using the elliptical marquee?". To which I admitted, "No...I draw the bubbles in..." And she said, "LOL, that's CRAZY!" OMG she was right. I did a mental calculation of how much time I spent just LETTERING the pages and I wanted to pull out my hair. It was yet another thing about making comics that I dreaded. I didn't even think about it before that moment but I could <I>make</i> custom text bubble brushes just like I make texture brushes. Hahahaha!

(Hopefully it's pretty clear what each bubble means.)
(Posted Image)

All I have to do is 'click, click, click' all over where the words are and add the tails. To get the black border I select the white and right-click + stroke with 3 pixels. It makes all the bubbles look consistent too. After this epiphany I went and made a ton of custom brushes; tiles, patterns I'll use on the furniture, and even shingles on roofs and the cobblestone for the town. All this stuff will save sooo much time. And now I won't want to strip myself bald while lettering.

But I sort of hate to admit I'm so codependent on Photoshop...

Anyway, I've rambled enough. There's a bunch of other stuff I want to rant about but I need to figure out how I did some of those FX again first... I don't even know if this so much helped anyone or made you all realize I'm crazy...

On to chapter six!
Nashya
Posted: Aug 27 2010, 12:48 AM

Administrator

QUOTE (Ivory13 @ Dec 11 2009, 04:11 AM)
QUESTIONS! i ask all of my favorite comic writers this and your my newest one sooo whats your favorite page so far and what was the hardest page to make

LOL, nearly took me a year to respond to this...

Um... I don't know if I can pick ONE favorite page. I like all of them :3. And honestly they were all hard to do... I never sit still long enough to complete a set of pages at a time so I lose track of staying consistent :l.

Scene wise though I do have some favorites. Pages 71-85 are just make me super proud. I don't get to draw action sequences very much so it was a LOT of fun to mess with angles and motion blurs and focus on how the color set the mood. Then the night scene was just a whole new beast. I never realized how much light and color effected at night. I don't even know if I did it correctly but I like the end result. Apparently red turns more purpleblack at night. I learned this after I finished that chunk of pages XD;;. Apple-boy's hair is all wrong!

I learn something new with each page though. Hopefully I'll learn to stop slacking too... >_>;;.
« Next Oldest | Fungus Grotto | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3688 seconds | Archive