InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Tomb Kings of Khemri Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Golden Ankh 1 Voting Thread

Which entry do you like the most?
Entry 1 [ 12 ]  [18.18%]
Entry 2 [ 28 ]  [42.42%]
Entry 3 [ 26 ]  [39.39%]
Total Votes: 66
Guests cannot vote 
Swissdictator
Posted on Apr 20 2011, 11:00 PM

Skeleton Charioteer
Group Icon

Group: Liche High Priest
Member No.: 2,261

Three entries this time. I will put the voting up for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

ENTRY 1

user posted image

ENTRY 2

user posted image

ENTRY 3

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
Darlan Deathscythe
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 02:17 AM

Tomb Captain

Group: Faithful
Member No.: 533

Three nice entries we've got here. I thank all three of them for sharing their work with us smile.gif As always, I'll be reviewing the entries and giving my thoughts about them, including the things I like less. Don't see it as an insult, just as supportive criticism!

So entry number 1: First things first, I like the bowstrings. It's always a nice addition to our archers. I also enjoy the way you painted the skin on the Liche Priest. Even though the model itself is kinda unimpressive, you've made it look great. The only thing I'm not really fond of is the grass, it's a bit too high and distracts from the priest a bit too much.

Entry number 2: Your color scheme is nice and original. The green really works out well and it suits well with the other earthly colors you use for the wooden parts. It's simple, yet really well executed. The same applies to the bones. It just says depth and reality. Well, for as far as living corpses are real that is. The main thing I miss though, is what makes them stand out from the rest and, more importantly, a close up shot where we could have admired the beautiful highlighting you've done. Had you provided one, I'd probably would have started drooling.

Entry number 3: I have to admit that you'll be getting my vote. I cant really find something I don't like about this unit. The bandages look worn, the skin looks dried up, the bases are neatly done, the conversions (if I'm not mistaken) are well executed.. Simply well done! If I'd have to pick a few things that I am not really fond off, it would be the tree, which is a bit too bright for my taste compared to the unit and their bases.

Congrats to all three entries, and I hope to see you back if there's to be another competition smile.gif

--------------------
More or less back
kingwrynn
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 01:40 PM

Necropolis Guard

Member No.: 3,044

So hard to choose....
While all of them are probably painted 10x better than i could have here are my thoughts:

Entry #1: I love some of the color choices. The light brown bows look nice (i wonder which brown that is?). The red bandages stand out from the golden decorations. Also the bow strings are always a nice touch.

Entry #2: I love and hate the green color scheme. It can do great at making wood look like its the rotting, mouldering, crumbling ancient items they were buried with, but im not such a big fan of using it in other places (leather, bandages, armor, etc) since it usually ends up looking off to me in those places. Somehow the poses of your skeletons look more dynamic than #1's to me though (theyre all looking/facing forward, one has arrows at the ready, half of them look like theyre reaching for an arrow).

Entry #3: Since i dont think ive ever seen these models before i cant really tell whats supposed to be extra work/conversion and what comes with them. The only annoyance is that in a photo its hard to tell the difference in color between the metallic brown/gold items and the yellowing bandages. Those are minor things though and really they came out looking great!

I disagree with darlan on the tree. I think it adds contrast, you have dry as bones mummies that are fighting over some kind of oasis/watering hole. I can see what hes saying that it kind of sticks out, however with a limit of 5 models its hard to make decorations like that fit. I think with a full block of units it would integrate with the unit even better (if not it could be added to the movement tray, but this contest didnt include movement trays). Also the arrow sticking out of the sands, skulls on the ground, and tiny bits of green on the bases show either a well modeled miniature on the part of whoever makes that line or some very nice basing on your part, im not sure which huh.gif .

One final thing, i think the fact that you went to the extent of snapping the photo outside to add to the leafy/oasis backdrop that is part of the flavor of the unit deserves credit.

And my verdict:
This whole time i was planning on voting for #1, but as i typed that up i thought more and more about all of the detail and thought put into #3 andit became harder and harder to NOT vote for it. All 3 did an excellent job, but #3 has stolen my vote too.
Mioumboy
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 02:01 PM

Tomb Lord
Group Icon

Member No.: 600

As this is a painting contest, I must say that I was bummed out to find that my pictures where dramatically scaled down and now there's no way to take a good look at the models I've done. Not that I would've win otherwise, I don't care about that really, but my pictures were much bigger to show what mattered here: the painting. The small pictures now really don't show much I fear, wich kinda defeat the purpose of this contest sad.gif

--------------------
Darlan Deathscythe
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 02:21 PM

Tomb Captain

Member No.: 533

QUOTE (kingwrynn @ Apr 21 2011, 06:40 PM)
I disagree with darlan on the tree. I think it adds contrast, you have dry as bones mummies that are fighting over some kind of oasis/watering hole.

Just to clarify: what I meant was that the green of the tree looked too unnatural to my taste. I'd consider it a bit too much like plastic when compared it to the naturalness of the bandages of the mummies and the other plantlife that can be found on the bases. I wasn't saying that the tree itself didn't fit the whole desert theme.

I also have to agree with mioumboy. Scaling down photo's for the thread isn't a bad thing, after all I don't want my entire screen filled with a single picture. However adding a link under the picture to a page where one can see the picture in the original size, would be rather handy and indeed an aid when it comes to making up one's mind when it comes to deciding who to vote for.

Darlan

--------------------
More or less back
Swissdictator
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 02:22 PM

Skeleton Charioteer
Group Icon

In the future I won't scale down the images, that was my bad. I thought lots of big images could be a bit burdensome on the browser...

Again, my apologies on this. Lesson learned though, and I hope it won't detract from future contests.

--------------------
user posted image
Mioumboy
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 02:31 PM

Tomb Lord
Group Icon

Well next time, you can do like Darlan said, put a link for bigger pics, or use thumbnail wink.gif

No worry though, I'm was just bummed that I can't even my own work as clearly as I would like too! At this size even I wouldn't vote for me without seeing the original first tongue.gif

--------------------
Vallah
Posted on Apr 21 2011, 03:10 PM

Strategy Pimp

Member No.: 2,955

Yeah, i see what you mean about the reduced picture sizes, Mioumboy. Mine got reduced too and you do lose an awful lot of the detail work.

I'd be tempted just to display the pics at full size for future contests (it'd be no worse than one of the threads in the painting section, and I think almost everyone is on broadband these days anyway).

No biggie though, I'll post a load of close ups for everyone in my plog after the contest closes.

--------------------
Swissdictator
Posted on May 6 2011, 04:15 PM

Skeleton Charioteer
Group Icon

Congratulations to the winner: Vallah!

Very well done, sir. I quite like them too.

I was entry #1, and I'm surprised I got as many votes as I did!

--------------------
user posted image
Mioumboy
Posted on May 6 2011, 06:13 PM

Tomb Lord
Group Icon

Oh I didn't know it was your entry Swiss!

Now since it's done, I'll follow Vallah idea and post my original pics in my painting log wink.gif

So when is the next one? smile.gif

--------------------
Swissdictator
Posted on May 7 2011, 02:49 AM

Skeleton Charioteer
Group Icon

Should be soon, I'm wanting to let people buy their new stuff! smile.gif That's what it will focus on. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Vallah
Posted on May 7 2011, 08:40 AM

Strategy Pimp

Member No.: 2,955

Cheers Swiss. Big thank you to everyone who took the time to vote (whover they voted for).

My laptop died on me a day or two ago so my internet access will be patchy for a while (to say the least), but I'll get a load of pics posted in my thread as soon as I can.

Ta much folks. smile.gif

--------------------
amplebob
Posted on May 12 2011, 05:00 AM

Tomb Guard

Group: Nehekharan
Member No.: 3,224

Good skills Vallah. Nice looking models indeed.

Perhaps I might even be able to take part in one of these when I return to England...

Think there should be a competition where people can submit one model or unit they have painted previously, if only to showcase some of the excellent work that is on this site.

--------------------
user posted image
Universal Battle - Click here to play!
8th ed Lizardmen record: 15/2/4
8th ed tk record: 13/1/12
8th ed O&G record: 14/2/3
8th ed Bretonnian record: 0/0/2

My TK army and battle report thread: http://z4.invisionfree.com/Khemri/index.ph...9452&st=0&#last
leesmith
Posted on May 17 2011, 12:56 PM

A bug in the Swarm

Member No.: 3,776

yeah cant wait for next painting contest! will hopefully keep me motivated;)
Khu'a
Posted on May 18 2011, 11:06 PM

Skeleton Horseman

Member No.: 3,939

Three great entrys. I had to vote for number 3 though not only because it is a great paint job but because I've always loved those 5th ed mummy models (I've got the one with a flail put in a chariot as my TK). I don't yet own a copy of the 8th ed rule book or Army book (they were only released in my country a couple weeks ago), can anyone tell me if the flail of skulls is still available?

--------------------
That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons, even death may die. H.P Lovecraft.
Lakomasoi
Posted on May 19 2011, 12:10 AM

Tomb Captain

Member No.: 3,259

Only on a special Character
Khu'a
Posted on May 19 2011, 04:07 PM

Skeleton Horseman

Member No.: 3,939

Gawd demmit. angry.gif

--------------------
That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons, even death may die. H.P Lovecraft.
« Next Oldest | Forum Announcements | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Bone Idol created all of the nicer artwork on this site, many thanks to him. Warhammer and associated armies and characters are trademarks of Games Workshop Ltd. This site is not associated with Games Workshop, nor claims any ownership of trademarks.
Reseller Hosting - Unlimited Domains

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2886 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring