InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to MPAM Rebooted Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

dinrock
Posted: Mar 29 2009, 02:10 AM

n00b

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,283

I downloaded the freeware for Sign Up Form with E-Mail Validation 1.6 and want to build a new form similar to the one above the search box near bottom of this page: http://www.danscartoons.com/ham_radio_cartoons.htm - that is currently a dead form since I never fully configured that code on my page / site. I used FrontPage2002 and my web host already allows a php script to rotate the daily image on my index page. My main question after I downloaded the five files:

#1. create_tables.php
#2. GNUGPL.txt
#3. mypage.php
#4. readme.txt
#5. validation.php

Should I now start a new page and put a table on it? And in that table, do I put the script for one of these folders (I know, not the readme.txt file) within the html in that page? Or exactly how should I start this process? I can work with & manipulate/tweak html, I'm not intimidated by that....I built my www.danscartoons.com so just wondering what my first step should be. Thanks!

Dan
BTW: I basically want it to gather email addresses from those interested visitors who want to recieve a quarterly or monthly newsletter from me (haven't decided on that yet)....

patheticcockroach
Posted: Mar 29 2009, 08:17 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18

First, I don't know where you found version 1.6, but you should grab the 1.7, which fixes some security issues with 1.6.

The script file is basically only validation.php. The other PHP files are just an installation file (create_tables.php) and an example file (mypage.php) which includes the script on a page.
Now, to be able to include the script in your existing page, the extension of the page must be .php. I suppose you'd rather not rename your page from .htm to .php, so I see 3 possible solutions:
- the easiest one: you create a separate page, looking a lot like mypage.php, in which you include validation.php, and then on your ham_radio_cartoons.htm page you place a link to mypage.php
- another possibility would be to do the same as above, but instead of linking to the .php page, you could include it within your ham_radio_cartoons.htm using AJAX (the problem is that users with Javascript turned off wouldn't see the form, you'd need to fall back to the first solution for them)
- and finally, you could "heavily" customize the script in order to split it in a form part (HTML only, doesn't require PHP) to be included into ham_radio_cartoons.htm, and a form treatment part, stand alone with a .php extension

In all cases I suppose you'll need to edit the script to remove the user name and password fields.

Hope this helps,
David

--------------------
PatheticCockroach - MPAM Rebooted - Wiki4Games, the free video game wiki
user posted image
« Next Oldest | Tutorials & help | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1275 seconds | Archive