InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Nsdraftroom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Rotor Blades, Why...
Kyiv
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 06:28 AM

My tank is umbrella!

Group: Members
Member No.: 401

So how is the number of blades on a rotor determined? I'm thinking mainly about helicopter rotors, but I suppose this is just as valid for other rotors.

--------------------
i think it is you that is the fool.My education was brought with money, not from wikipedia!

QUOTE (Rich and Corporations @ Apr 16 2012, 10:06 PM)
Oh my god, everyone is either wrong or fucking stupid.
Vault X
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 11:37 AM

Designer

Member No.: 937

2 is very simple and always balanced, 3 is much harder to balance, 4 is easier than 3, 5 is harder to balance, 6 or more idk. Fewer but longer blades can be more efficient (more eff. wingspan), but take more space, odd blade count is quieter, even count has balance advantage.

--------------------
user posted image
Trinary
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 01:10 PM

40% Armaments Designer

Member No.: 1,004

For fast crafts you migh also whant to think about rpm and length to allow higher speeds without retreating blade stall.

If i rember it correctly the US military has some nice course mterial for helicopter aerodynamics avalible from one of the sites in this forums library section
no endorse
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 02:37 PM

You have way too much time on your hands ...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Kyiv @ Apr 10 2012, 01:28 AM)
So how is the number of blades on a rotor determined? I'm thinking mainly about helicopter rotors, but I suppose this is just as valid for other rotors.

More blades runs smoother, is quieter, better balanced, and can carry more load better. Two blades are really easy and simple. Imagine the swashplate for a Cobra, and then for a Blackhawk. Yup.

A dominant force in helicopters is tail rotor interaction. In prop planes, it's all about propulsive efficiency at cruise, so you get them curved rotors.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
QUOTE (IRC)
[22:39]Spizania: A chain is a unit of length; it measures 66 feet or 22 yards or 4 rods or 100 links[1] (20.1168m). <<< This is why Britian ruled the world
[22:39]Spizania: we created a system of measurements noone else could understand
[17:57] matinsky theres only one thing that can save saxon england
[17:57] matinsky ...
[17:57] Rosdivan Frogs?
[17:57] matinsky a mark XXXIII bolo
Forza
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 03:31 PM

36% Armaments Designer

Member No.: 1,006

Would it not also have something to do with the amount of power available against the range of weights to be lifted?

--------------------
Qui Patitur Vincit - Who perseveres, conquers.

You'll Never Walk Alone
Samozaryadnyastan
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 04:53 PM

89% Armaments Designer

Member No.: 1,101

QUOTE (no endorse @ Apr 10 2012, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Kyiv @ Apr 10 2012, 01:28 AM)

More blades runs smoother, is quieter, better balanced, and can carry more load better. Two blades are really easy and simple. Imagine the swashplate for a Cobra, and then for a Blackhawk. Yup.

A dominant force in helicopters is tail rotor interaction. In prop planes, it's all about propulsive efficiency at cruise, so you get them curved rotors.

So, the viability of a 7-blade rotor would depend significantly upon the extent to which the tail rotor was geared to evade the main rotor?
I take it that simply moving the tail rotor away from the main rotor so they don't intersect poses a variety of issues in flight and generally engineering wise?

--------------------
Samozniy Military Industries
Starting alliances and ending wars since 2011.

QUOTE (Falls @ Sep 10 2012, 05:14 PM)

QUOTE (Samozaryadnyastan @ Sep 10 2012, 03:24 PM)

What're those three ships tailing at the back?

a good general guess if you look closely is, grossly superior to foreign counter-parts.
no endorse
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 07:04 PM

You have way too much time on your hands ...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Moving the tail that far out is heavy. Weight is your mortal enemy in an airplane, but a helicopter is the sort of thing where you'll commit a murder for each pound you can drop.

The tail rotor interaction has a lot to do with stability, noise, and the sheer geometry of it (can't work if the blades will intersect)

Would it not also have something to do with the amount of power available against the range of weights to be lifted?

It's just structurally and aerodynamically more efficient in many ways, though you pay one hell of a complexity penalty.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
QUOTE (IRC)
[22:39]Spizania: A chain is a unit of length; it measures 66 feet or 22 yards or 4 rods or 100 links[1] (20.1168m). <<< This is why Britian ruled the world
[22:39]Spizania: we created a system of measurements noone else could understand
[17:57] matinsky theres only one thing that can save saxon england
[17:57] Rosdivan Frogs?
[17:57] matinsky a mark XXXIII bolo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Introductory Questions | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0654 seconds | Archive