Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Nsdraftroom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

'Mule' Tracked Cargo Hauler, Very WIP
morrdh
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:16 PM

91% Armaments Designer

Group: Members
Member No.: 345

user posted image

Classification: Tracked Cargo Hauler (Prototype)
Nickname: The Mule
Manufacturer: Royal Morridane Engineers, Morridane Army
Designer: 85 Field Squadron RME
Designed: 2011
Produced: 2012
Numbers Built: 1
Users: Morridane Army

GVWR (total weight): 52,000 kg
Carrying Capacity: 10,000 kg
Length: 8 meters
Width: 3.38 meters
Height: 4 meters
Crew: 1 (Driver)

Engine: Rolls-Royce Meteor
Fuel: Diesel
Horsepower: 650 hp
Speed: 35 km/h

Operational Range: 850km
Suspension: Horstmann suspension
Cost:

Background

The Mule stems from a requirement made by the Commonwealth Colonial Authority; a rugged, all-terrain vehicle was needed that was easy to maintain in order to haul cargo on the frontiers of the various CCA colonies. Despite the CCA looking at foreign markets for a possible vehicle to meet its requirements a Captain Harold Tisdale, of the Royal Morridane Engineer's 85th Field Squadron, got wind of the matter and quickly tasked the sappers under his command with a practical exercise. The sappers soon came up with the idea of a tracked vehicle based around one of the mothballed Centurion tanks that the Morridane Army still had on its books, their plan was to modify the tank's chassis and then bolt the cab and cargo bed of a truck on top. This resulted in a heavy and lumbering vehicle, but it was argued that its cargo capacity and cross-country performance would more than make up for it.

To date only one prototype has been built and is currently on field trials in the South-West Territory of Morrdh, plans have been drawn up for a more refined version and will be tendered to foreign companies to develop.

Design

The Mule is quite simply two vehicles that have been combined, the bottom half being the chassis and body of a mothballed Centurion tank. The upper half is the cab and cargo bed of a 1966 ACCO International Series V that has been extended to sit comfortably over the Centurion's chassis, thus making for a large vehicle. The tank's crew compartment was completely ripped out and replaced by additional fuel tanks that allowed the vehicle's ranged to be almost doubled, at the same time the transmission was replaced by a newer three-speed automatic transmission and directed to the new cab that sat on the front end of the vehicle. It was decided to keep the tank's Rolls-Royce Meteor engine and simply overhaul rather than fit an entirely new engine, this was to ensure that the prototype was ready in the shortest amount of time as possible.

The planned MK.II version will be expected to have a more powerful engine and possibly use a custom built chassis to make it a much lighter vehicle.

~ ~ ~

First vehicle design and I'm sure I've screwed up on the numbers, most of the stats were taken from the Centurion and a bit of guess work was used to estimate height and weight, etc.

I realize that I probably still have plenty of work to do on it and have probably missed stuff out, so feedback will be greatly welcomed.

--------------------
user posted image
Allanea
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:08 AM

You have way too much time on your hands ...

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 88

Well... it looks exactly like I imagine a tank/cargo hauler cross-breed would look.

But... have you looked at the PTS?

Over here, it beckons.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

"That's fucking epic!" ~~ Scandavian States, on my translations
" Fucking awesome. Do more." ~~Questers, on my translations
morrdh
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 12:53 PM

91% Armaments Designer

QUOTE (Allanea @ Apr 24 2012, 11:08 AM)
But... have you looked at the PTS?

Over here, it beckons.

Have now.

I can see how the PTS can be useful, but the Mule was designed more with desert terrain in mind.

--------------------
user posted image
morrdh
Posted: May 7 2012, 12:28 PM

91% Armaments Designer

Something I just stumbled upon, isn't Real Life wonderful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_Tractor

--------------------
user posted image
morrdh
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 04:13 PM

91% Armaments Designer

Now with added (most likely bad) image.

--------------------
user posted image
Mikedor
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 04:41 PM

24% Armaments Designer

Member No.: 1,013

--------------------
"Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."

morrdh
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 05:52 PM

91% Armaments Designer

Thanks for that.

Seriously doubt that there wasn't anything the Land Rover wasn't converted into!

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Miscellaneous Sector | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0855 seconds | Archive