Bain Capital:Romney at Bain: Big Gains, Some Busts
(The Wall Street Journal, January 9, 2012
)Romney Derangement Syndrome
(National Review Online, January 9, 2012
)Romney doesn't need to apologize for his Bain career
(The Enterprise Blog, January 9, 2012
)Romney’s Profitable Past
(National Review Online, January 10, 2012
)Mitt Romney and Bain Capital Were Right to Utilitize So-Called Tax Havens
(Big Government, January 11, 2012
)Paul defends Romney 'fire' comment, history at Bain
(CNN, January 12, 2012
)Paul backs Romney’s record at Bain Capital
(The Washington Times, January 10, 2012
)Faith:Romney: Faith in America
(Video) (21min)Global Warming:Renewable energy: Dems, GOP diverge
)Romney: McCain’s Cap And Trade Plan Would ‘Just Kill Jobs’ In The U.S.
)Immigration:Romney on Illegal Immigration
(Video) (2min)Romney vs Huckabee on Illegal Immigration
(Video) (5min)Romney Allows Massachusetts State Troopers to Detain Illegals
)Romney Blasts Immigration Deal
)Romney Vetoes In-State Tuition for Illegals
(The Boston Globe
)Marriage:Romney: "Marriage is Between a Man and a Woman"
(Video) (1min)Romney Fights For Marriage Vote
(Video) (3min)2003 - Massachusetts Governor Vows to Pursue Marriage Amendment
)2004 - Romney Urges Constitutional Ban on Same Sex Marriage
)One Man, One Woman - A Citizen's Guide to Protecting Marriage
(Mitt Romney, The Wall Street Journal
- Eleven States Ban Gay Marriage
)Romney Announces Abstinence Education Program
)Minimum Wage:Romney Vetoes Minimum Wage Bill
)Right to Life:"After 35 years of Roe v. Wade, we are again reminded why this decision should be overturned. We recognize the worth and dignity of every person, a fact that is ingrained in our hearts and etched in our national purpose. Unelected judges should not be the final arbiters on these important decisions which define who we are as a people. Respect for human life is, at once, both the foundation and the way forward to the future of a just and noble society, one in which every human individual is welcomed in life and protected in law."
- Mitt RomneyMass. Governor Mitt Romney Vetoes embryonic Stem-Cell Bill
)Mitt Romney Warns of 'Orwellian' Stem Cell Research
)"It is wrong to allow science to take an assembly-line approach to the production of human embryos, the creation of which will be rooted in experimentation and destruction"
- Mitt RomneyMass. Governor Mitt Romney Vetoes Emergency Contraception Bill
)Mitt Romney: Why I Vetoed Contraception Bill
)Second Amendment:"I believe the right to keep and bear arms is a cornerstone of our personal freedoms. Should I be fortunate enough to become President, I will stand up and fight against any attempt to weaken or infringe upon our Second Amendment rights. And I will do this without any apology and without any hesitation."
- Mitt RomneyGovernor Romney Signs Pro-Gun Legislation Clarifing Muzzleloader Law
)Governor Romney Signs Pro-Gun Legislation Allowing Exemptions for Target Pistol Manufacturers
)Governor Romney Signed Pro-Gun Legislation Providing Free Replacement Licenses
(Gun Owners Action League
)Governor Romney Issued a Proclamation Declaring May 7, 2005 as "Right to Bear Arms Day"
(Gun Owners Action League
)"I do not believe we need new legislation. I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature, including that against semiautomatic weapons. We have laws in place that, if they're implemented & enforced, will provide the protection and the safety of the American people. I do support the right of individuals to bear arms, whether for hunting purposes or for protection purposes or any other reasons. That's the right that people have."
- Mitt Romney
* Irking N.R.A., Bush Supports The Ban on Assault Weapons
(The New York Times
)Taxes:Romney's Fiscal Conservative Record
(PDF)Romney: Extend the Bush Tax Cuts
(Video) (2min)Romney Is First To Sign No Tax Pledge
(The New York Sun
)Romney Vetoed More Than 800 Budget Line-Items
(707 were overturned by the liberal Massachusetts Legislature
- Romney convinced the unfriendly State Legislature to grant him unilateral power to make budget cuts in 2003
- Romney unveiled $343 million in cuts to cities, healthcare, and state agencies in 2003
- Romney successfully consolidated the social service and public health bureaucracy in 2003
- Romney eliminated half of the executive branch's press positions, saving $1.2 million in 2003
- Romney successfully forced Medicaid recipients to make co-payments for some services in 2003
- Romney successfully pushed for legislation forcing new state workers to contribute 25% of their health insurance costs in 2003
- Romney proposed to revolutionize the Massachusetts state pension system by moving it to a defined contribution system in 2003
- Romney pushed to revamp the Pacheco Law, a union-backed measure that makes it nearly impossible to privatize state services in 2003
- Romney called for the privatization of the University of Massachusetts medical school in 2003
- Romney proposed measures to eliminate civil service protection for all municipal workers except police and firefighters and exempt low-cost public construction jobs from the state's wage law in 2003
- Romney proposed easing pricing regulations on Massachusetts retailers in 2003
- Romney Vetoed A Provision That Would Have Renewed A Prescription Drug Tax in 2003
- Romney proposed easing decades-old state regulations on wetlands in 2004
- Romney Vetoed Retroactive Pay Increases For State Employees in 2004
- Romney proposed cutting the state's income-tax rate from 5.3% to 5.0% in 2004, 2005 and 2006
- Romney succeeded in passing a bill preventing the capital gains tax from being applied retroactively in 2005
- Romney signed legislation that provided property tax relief to seniors in 2005
- Romney signed legislation establishing a two-day tax-free shopping holiday in 2005
- Romney fought for welfare legislation increasing the number of hours each week recipients must work and establishing a five-year limit for receiving benefits in 2005
- Romney aggressively pushed to deregulate Massachusetts' "Soviet-style" auto insurance industry in 2005
- Romney Vetoed a bill limiting the ability of out-of-state wineries to ship directly to Massachusetts consumers, calling the legislation "anti-consumer" in 2005
- Romney used his emergency fiscal powers to make $425 million worth of cuts in 2006
- Romney Vetoed the employer mandate that requires businesses with 11 or more full-time employees to provide health insurance in 2006
- Romney Vetoed an increase in the minimum wage from $6.75 to $8.00 in 2006
- Romney Signed a bill streamlining the state's cumbersome permitting process for new businesses in 2006
- Romney Line-Item Vetoed $100,000 For A Gazebo On Sunset Lake In Braintree in 2006
- Romney Vetoed $150,000 For The University Of Massachusetts To Study The Winter Moth in 2006
- Romney Vetoed $4 Million To Research The Efficiency Of The Internal Combustion Engine in 2006
- Romney has ruled out the option of raising Social Security taxes, embraced the idea of reducing the growth rate of future benefits, and supports personal accounts in 2007Romney Economic Stimulus Plan- Permanently Reduce The Lowest Income Tax Bracket to 7.5%
- Permanently Eliminate Payroll Taxes On Employees Over The Age of 65
- Make Middle-Class Savings Tax Free
- Institute Immediate 100% Expensing Of New Equipment Purchased By A Business
- Reduce The Corporate Tax Rate To 20% Over Two Years
- Make The Bush Tax Cuts Permanent
- Roll Back Tax Rates For All Americans
- Kill The Death Tax
- Make The Research And Development Tax Credit Permanent
- Oppose Any Increase In Social Security Taxes
- Prevent The Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) From Hurting More American Families
Compare to Hillary's Ridiculous Plan:- Establish a $30 Billion Emergency Housing Crisis Fund to assist states and cities mitigate the effects of mounting foreclosures
- Take bold action to stem tide of foreclosure, including a 90-day moratorium on subprime foreclosures and an automatic rate freeze on subprime mortgages of at least five years
- Provide $25 billion in emergency energy assistance for families facing skyrocketing heating bills
- Accelerating $5 billion in energy efficiency and alternative energy investments to jumpstart green collar job growth
- Invest $10 billion in extending and broadening unemployment insurance for those who are struggling to find workTerrorism:Romney: "Jihad"
(Video) (1min)Romney: "Double Guantanamo"
(Video) (1min)Rebuttals:3com:3Com: China connection no risk to national security
- As 83.5 percent owner, Bain Capital will be firmly in control of 3Com. All Bain Capital private equity investments are controlled by 14 individuals, and all 14 are U.S. citizens. Bain Capital will be able to make all operational decisions for the company, to set budgets, to spend money, to make investments, and to hire and fire personnel. Huawei will not have any control over the operation of the business.
- Huawei will not have any access to sensitive U.S.-origin technology or U.S. Government sales as a result of this transaction.
- All of 3Com’s sales to the U.S. Government are made through resellers or integrators; 3Com does not contract with the Government directly.
- There are no products specially designed for the U.S. Government. There are no classified contracts or facility clearances.
- 3Com maintains effective internal IP control and export compliance programs to prevent unauthorized transfers of controlled technology.
- 3Com’s commitment to these controls runs from the chief executive and throughout the company. 3Com maintains multiple screening processes for customers, products and data transfers, including an automated screening program integrated with its order management system.
- The company’s products and technology are classified and tracked consistent with applicable laws and regulations. It conducts regular training and auditing to ensure security. Bain Capital is committed to maintaining these strong compliance and security programs.$50 Abortions:
Romney never pushed for taxpayer funding for abortions. The state law he signed left decisions about what should be covered to an independent body, the Commonwealth Connector. It was that body, not Romney, that ruled that abortions would be covered.
In truth, the state had little choice but to cover abortions. The state Supreme Court had ruled in 1980 that the Massachusetts Constitution confers on Massachusetts women an even broader right to abortion than does the U.S. Constitution. It restated in a 1997 decision that the state must pay for medically necessary abortions if it pays for all other medically necessary procedures including services in connection with childbirth.
It is possible to argue that Romney might have put up a public fight to narrow the abortion coverage had he chosen to do so, or that the Commonwealth Connector decided to cover more than is "medically necessary." But it is simply false for McCain to claim that "Romney provided taxpayer funded abortions" when taxpayers had been ordered by the courts to pay for them long before Romney took office.
Please provide the document that Romney signed that says he endorsed $50 abortions.Abortion:Join the club: Mitt Romney and pro-life conversion
"In 1967, Gov. Ronald Reagan signed a liberal abortion law, declaring, "I'm fully sympathetic with attempts to liberalize the outdated abortion law now on the books in California." Reagan later changed his mind and expressed regret for signing a measure that saw more abortions performed in California than in any other state before Roe v. Wade. He became a committed pro-life politician and backed the first pro-life plank in the Republican platform. George W. Bush ran as a pro-choice politician in his 1978 congressional campaign, but held pro-life views when he ran for the governorship of Texas in 1994. His father too once favored abortion rights, but took a pro-life position in the 1980 presidential campaign."Reagan Reluctantly Signs Bill Easing Abortions
(The New York Times, 1967
)Big DigMass. Gov. Romney Seizes Control of Big Dig Highway System
(FOX News, 2006
)Romney to return contributions from Big Dig concrete workers
(Associated Press, 2006
)Romney Calls For Pike Chairman To Resign
)Senior Official Responsible for Big Dig Project Resigns
(The New York Times, 2006
- Andy Reed, Philadephia Eagle Head Coach
- Chad Lewis, Philadephia Eagles Wide Receiver
- Dale Murphy, Retired Major League Baseball Player
- Donnie Osmond, Singer
- Gladys Knight, Singer
- Glen Beck, Radio Commentator
- Glen Larsen, Producer (Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Magnum P.I.)
- Harmon Killebrew, Retired Major League Baseball Player (573 HR)
- John Browning, Gunsmith
- Katherine Heigl, Actress
- Kelly Packard, Actress
- Marie Osmond, Singer
- Matthew Modine, Actor
- Paul Walker, Actor
- Steve Young, Retired San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
- Wilford Brimley, ActorGay Marriage:Mitt Romney "Chose" Gay Marriage?
"We construe civil marriage to mean the voluntary union of two persons as spouses, to the exclusion of all others. This reformulation redresses the plaintiffs' constitutional injury and furthers the aim of marriage to promote stable, exclusive relationships. It advances the two legitimate State interests the department has identified: providing a stable setting for child rearing and conserving State resources. It leaves intact the Legislature's broad discretion to regulate marriage."
"In their complaint the plaintiffs request only a declaration that their exclusion and the exclusion of other qualified same-sex couples from access to civil marriage violates Massachusetts law. We declare that barring an individual from the protections, benefits, and obligations of civil marriage solely because that person would marry a person of the same sex violates the Massachusetts Constitution. We vacate the summary judgment for the department. We remand this case to the Superior Court for entry of judgment consistent with this opinion. Entry of judgment shall be stayed for 180 days to permit the Legislature to take such action as it may deem appropriate in light of this opinion."Health Care:
The Massachusetts legislature made a number of changes to Governor Romney's original Health Care proposal. Romney Vetoed Eight Sections of the Health Care Legislation, including:
- Romney Vetoed providing dental benefits to poor residents on the Medicaid program
- Romney Vetoed providing health coverage to senior and disabled legal immigrants not eligible for federal Medicaid
- Romney Vetoed expanding MassHealth (Medicaid) coverage to low-income children
- Romney Vetoed restoring funding for public health programs
- Romney Vetoed adding a provision charging firms with 11 or more workers that do not provide "fair and reasonable" health coverage to their workersAll Eight Vetoes Were Overturned
The legislature also rejected Governor Romney's proposal to permit even higher-deductible, lower benefit health plans.Internet Taxes:"I think the indication of the house vote indicates that most American’s are of the point of view that Internet only taxes of the type you describe are not something we want to see. I have a specific position on that issue, but I do not want to see internet only taxes as you described them or access fees or email charges and so forth. We do enough taxing in this country and let’s not add more taxes. I’d rather see the tax for innovation reduced rather than expanded."
- Mitt Romney, 2007Jesus and Satan are Brothers:
Mormons believe that God is the father of all. Thus technically they could be considered brothers, one GOOD (Jesus) the other BAD (Satan). They clearly worship the GOOD - Jesus and God. Anything else is dishonest.
This is no different then Christians believing all men are brothers and it is your job to help those who have gone astray find the right path. It would be just as ignorant to say that Christians idiolize criminals because you consider them brothers who lost their way and want to help them.
Huckabee knew exactly what he was doing by playing on the fears of the ignorant who do not seek to learn the truth but instead latch on to ridiculous fears. I cannot believe I am defending the Mormon Religion which I find to be ridiculous in many ways but not dangerous or evil. If anything Mormons are excessive, they don't smoke, drink or do drugs. Hardly a bad role model for Kids and Morality. Huckabee Is Not Alone in Ignorance on Mormonism
“It’s an attack question,” Mr. Gordon said, “because it starts with a kernel of truth and shapes it into something that most Mormons wouldn’t recognize about their faith.”
In Mormon theology, God is literally the father of all beings, and all beings once existed in a “premortal” state as “spirit beings,” said Robert L. Millet a professor of religion at Brigham Young University, a Mormon institution in Provo, Utah. Jesus was God’s first-born son, and everyone who came after that, including Satan could be considered the siblings of Jesus, he said.
“Latter-day Saints believe that all of us, Christ included, existed in a premortal existence, as spirits,” Mr. Millet said. “Yes, Jesus and Lucifer were in that premortal existence, together. But what we need to make very clear is that Jesus was God and there was never a time when Jesus and Lucifer were on the same plane.”
To say Jesus and Satan were brothers, Mr. Gordon said, is like saying, “Do you know you’re related to Adolf Hitler because we’re all part of the same family of man?”
"We believe, as other Christians believe and as Paul wrote, that God is the father of all," said the spokeswoman, Kim Farah. "That means that all beings were created by God and are his spirit children. Christ, on the other hand, was the only begotten in the flesh and we worship him as the son of God and the savior of mankind. Satan is the exact opposite of who Christ is and what he stands for."Reagan-BushPresident Reagan Signs Amnesty Bill
(The New York Times, 1986
)Reagan Signs Measure Easing Entry to U.S.
(The New York Times, 1987
)Bush Defends Reversal on Taxes, Citing Nation's Economic Needs
(The New York Times, 1990
)Regional Greenhouse Gas InitiativeMass. Governor Resolves not to Rejoin CO2 Pact
Romney, a Republican, pulled out of the agreement which seeks to cut carbon dioxide emissions at power plants 20 percent by 2019. Romney, said the pact would boost power prices for consumers and businesses.Taxes:
Romney increased fees amounted to $260 million a year, and elimination of corporate tax "loopholes" brought in another $174 million a year. He never raised taxes.
I am all for reducing the cost of services but how service fees work in the free market is they must equal their cost + profit. In Government they must equal their cost otherwise you are subsidizing them through taxes. That is the reality. I firmly agree with Romney that you cannot get something for nothing. Raising fees to cover their costs REDUCES taxes. The solution after that is to cut the cost of the service to reduce the fees. But the Mass Government had been subsidizing their costs through taxation and that had to stop.The Romney Record: Promise and Puzzlement
(PDF) (The Club for Growth
- Spending only increased 2.22% over four years as Governor of Massachusetts.