CRU Email Search
)ClimateGate FOIA Grepper
)Climategate 2 FOIA 2011 Searchable Database
)Searching the CRU leaked emails
)Climatic Research Unit emails, data, models, 1996-2009
)Index of Climategate EmailsFOI2009.ZIP
)"I think the only thing that counts is numbers. The media is going to say '1000 scientists signed' or '1500 signed'. No one is going to check if it is 600 with PhDs versus 2000 without. They will mention the prominent ones, but that is a different story."
- Joseph Alcamo, Lead Author, IPCC (2001, 2007)"But the current diagram with the tree ring only data [i.e. the Briffa reconstruction] somewhat contradicts the multiproxy curve and dilutes the message rather significantly."
- Chris Folland, Lead Author, IPCC (1990, 1992, 1996, 2001)"everyone in the room at IPCC was in agreement that this [the Briffa reconstruction] was a problem and a potential distraction/detraction from the reasonably concensus viewpoint we’d like to show w/ the Jones et al and Mann et al series."
- Michael Mann, Lead Author, IPCC (2001)"So, if we show Keith’s series in this plot, we have to comment that “something else” is responsible for the discrepancies in this case. [Perhaps Keith can help us out a bit by explaining the processing that went into the series and the potential factors that might lead to it being "warmer" than the Jones et al and Mann et al series?? We would need to put in a few words in this regard] Otherwise, the skeptics have an field day casting doubt on our ability to understand the factors that influence these estimates and, thus, can undermine faith in the paleoestimates. I don’t think that doubt is scientifically justified, and I’d hate to be the one to have to give it fodder!"
- Michael Mann, Lead Author, IPCC (2001)"I never liked it that the 2001 IPCC report pictured Mann's without showing alternates. [...] It now seems clear from looking at all the different analyses that Mann is an outlier"
- Curtis Covey, Research Scientist, Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory"I've just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"Anyway, I'll maybe cut the last few points off the filtered curve before I give the talk again as that's trending down as a result of the end effects and the recent cold-ish years."
- Mick Kelly, Visiting Fellow, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"...it would be nice to try to "contain" the putative "MWP", even if we don't yet have a hemispheric mean reconstruction available that far back."
- Michael Mann, Lead Author, IPCC (2001)"I believe that the recent warmth was probably matched about 1000 years ago"
- Keith Briffa, Lead Author, IPCC (2007)"The scientific community would come down on me in no uncertain terms if I said the world had cooled from 1998. OK it has..."
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"If you think that Saiers [GRL Editor] is in the greenhouse skeptics camp ...we could go through official AGU channels to get him ousted."
- Tom Wigley, Former Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"I can’t see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow – even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"I'm getting hassled by a couple of people to release the CRU station temperature data. Don't any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act!"
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I'll delete the file rather than send to anyone."
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"I've managed to persuade UEA to ignore all further FOIA requests if the people have anything to do with Climate Audit."
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4? Keith will do likewise. ...Can you also email Gene and get him to do the same? I don't have his new email address. We will be getting Caspar to do likewise."
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"I think we have to stop considering "Climate Research" as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board..."
- Michael Mann, Lead Author, IPCC (2001)"I have refused to send McIntyre the "derived" model data he requests, ...I will continue to refuse such data requests in the future. Nor will I provide McIntyre with computer programs, email correspondence, etc."
- Ben Santer, Lead Author, IPCC (1995)"If the RMS is going to require authors to make ALL data available - raw data PLUS results from all intermediate calculations - I will not submit any further papers to RMS journals."
- Ben Santer, Lead Author, IPCC (1995)"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."
- Kevin Trenberth, Lead Author, IPCC (2001, 2007)
Subject: John L. Daly [Skeptic] Dead"...this is cheering news!"
- Phil Jones, Director, Climatic Research Unit (CRU)"Next time I see Pat Michaels at a scientific meeting, I'll be tempted to beat the crap out of him. Very tempted."
- Ben Santer, Lead Author, IPCC (1995)Exactly who was emailing who in Climategate