Skin created by Ktrek

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Golden Age of Hollywood. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Channel 4's Top 100 Greatest Movie Stars
Noiresque
  Posted: Nov 28 2005, 01:43 AM

Femme Fatale

Group: Member
Member No.: 204

Channel 4's Greatest Movie Stars

I suppose this thread goes in this forum ... technically. Warning: do not read on a full stomach. Or an empty stomach, for that matter. In fact, read at own peril. My interest was sparked by a post by Classic Movie Man in the 100 Greatest Films: Channel 4 thread Ch.4 Top 100 Films. I decided to look it up, and boy! Was he spot on ...

1- Al Pacino

2- Robert De Niro

3- Tom Hanks

4- Kevin Spacey

5- Harrison Ford

6- Jack Nicholson

7- Anthony Hopkins

8- Sean Connery

9- Ewan McGregor

10- Cary Grant

11- Samuel L Jackson

12- James Stewart

13- Audrey Hepburn

14- Steve McQueen

15- Brad Pitt

16- Paul Newman

17- Mel Gibson

18- Clint Eastwood

19- Robin Williams

21- Nicole Kidman

21- Nicole Kidman

22- Johnny Depp

23- Jodie Foster

24- Dustin Hoffman

25- Susan Sarandon

26- Russell Crowe

27- Morgan Freeman

28- Denzel Washington

29- Julia Roberts

30- Marlon Brando

31- Christopher Lee

32- Tom Cruise

33- Nicolas Cage

34- Christopher Walken

35- Bruce Willis

36- Humphrey Bogart

37- Cate Blanchett

38- Katharine Hepburn

39- Marilyn Monroe

40- Gary Oldman

41- Jackie Chan

42- Gene Hackman

43- Jack Lemmon

44- Michael Caine

45- Bette Davis

46- John Travolta

47- Jim Carrey

48- John Cusack

49- Bruce Lee

50- Charlie Chaplin

51- Will Smith

52- Sidney Poitier

53- Harvey Keitel

54- Arnold Schwarzenegger

55- Kate Winslet

56- John Wayne

57- Peter Sellers

58- Meryl Streep

59- John Malkovich

60- Jude Law

61- Robert Redford

62- Robert Downey Jr

63- Clark Gable

64- James Dean

65- Cameron Diaz

66- Gene Kelly

67- Eddie Murphy

68- Ingrid Bergman

69- River Phoenix

70- Richard Burton

71- Woody Allen

72- George Clooney

73- Hugh Grant

74- Angelina Jolie

75- Meg Ryan

76- Richard Gere

77- Elizabeth Taylor

78- Oliver Reed

79- Vivien Leigh

80- Dennis Hopper

81- Fred Astaire

82- Judy Garland

83- Ralph Fiennes

84- Doris Day

85- Daniel Day-Lewis

86- Grace Kelly

87- Winona Ryder

88- Juliette Binoche

89- Gwyneth Paltrow

90- Gerard Depardieu

91- Julie Christie

92- Amitabh Bachchan

93- Kevin Costner

94- Leonardo DiCaprio

95- Uma Thurman

96- Wesley Snipes

97- Burt Reynolds

98- Jane Fonda

99- Halle Berry

100- Michael Douglas

(Source)
Melly
  Posted: Nov 28 2005, 01:50 AM

Mega Member

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 200

ohmy.gif 18, only 18 classic movie stars? That I counted, anyway.

And you have to wonder about any list the puts Tom Cruise ahead of the likes of John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. **loves Bogie, hates Cruise**

wacko.gif

How do they do this thread? Do they just choose actors at random? At least when AFI did it they pick Kate and Bogie as the greatest ever.
Ktrek
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 03:59 AM

Co-Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

There are many on the list that I have enjoyed films by (Jackie Chan for example) but to call them the greatest stars ever? angry.gif Whoever compiled this list needs their head examined! Glad I took Noiresque's advice and didn't read on an empty stomach!

Kevin
drednm
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 04:23 AM

Mega Member

Member No.: 187

what a stupid list.... as with ALL lists of this kind, they are always skewed toward the last 20 years.... the human memory of most movie goers who think that films of the 60s are antiques and films of the 20s and 30s prehistoric.

so what is this Channel 4 anyway?
Maliejandra
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 04:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

...ummm, well that guy is dumb.
Bradman
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 02:37 PM

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 170

We have to be generous and understanding to CH 4. I say this because according to them the greatest film of all time is....wait for it......wait for it..... Star Wars ?? That's right, Star Wars, come on guys, I'm not knocking the movie unsure.gif, although I could be tempted laugh.gif, but to rate it as the greatest film of all time. rolleyes.gif Anyway it shows that their opinions on movies or movie stars are to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
EMB
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 02:46 PM

Resident Grinch

Member No.: 40

All lists of this type are silly as all hell....and it's always impossible to figure out how they were compiled, what criteria were used. It's impossible to rank stars, anyway, you just know one when you see one, and when you don't.

ED user posted image
Frank Sinatra
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 03:31 PM

Frank Sinatra obsessed

Member No.: 146

I can't seehow Kate Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe can be placed next to each other...These lists are so annoying and ridiculous. Al Pacino, number one? All he ever does it gangster films.
Tinyhippy
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 04:02 PM

Mega Member

Member No.: 138

A few of my favourites are on that list, but there are many who (in my opinion) shouldn't be on the list, and they're all in the wrong order!! How can Bogie and Bette be that far down the list? They should be in the Top Ten! angry.gif
Stupid Channel 4.
That horrid Angelina Jolie is higher than Elizabeth Taylor, Vivien Leigh, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland and Doris Day?? blink.gif

This post has been edited by Tinyhippy on Nov 28 2005, 04:05 PM
Classic Movie Man
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 06:13 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Channel 4 are a TV channel in the UK. Not to excuse the list but sad to say it isn't all their fault. While movie lists like AFI and most of the channel 4 lists aren't perfect and I'll add my own list to that they do cover a lot of ground (they undoubtedly miss things out too) and just might encourage people to seek out the older films listed. I agree that the lists with a few exceptions are usually loaded in favour of more recent times but I wouldn't condemn them outright.

The Channel 4 top 100 movies was actually not bad at all, sure the order could have been better, there might have been more this and that (silent films were shamefully under-represented) but it wasn't a bad starting point for film fans. Same to an extent was true of the AFI list.

The Greatest Stars list though from Channel 4 was simply terrible. After the 100 Movies I was really looking forward to it when it was first on I was all set to watch. The disappointment was crushing, after a half dozen stars I thought is this is a joke ? I mean this went beyond a mild bias as displayed in other lists for the modern era, it was so weighted in favour of the last 30 years as to be totally worthless to anyone who knows anything about film history.

Apart from the Ultimate Film which was based on UK ticket sales the Channel 4 lists are arrived at like this : a panel of "experts" draw up of a list of notables. In the case of the stars I think there were 140 names originally : these were posted online at their website and you could vote for them there or by phone. I think you could also nominate somebody not on the list but of course few people do that.

The top 100 names based on the votes of the British public then made the programme so the order reflects what the average British film fan thinks. Sad or frightening or what ? Do the British public really believe Ewan McGregor is a greater movie star than Humphrey Bogart ? I've not even started on all the greats that are missing. It doesn't surprise me in a way as classic films are rarely seen on mainstream UK TV these days and when they are it tends to be the same titles again and again.

Another problem is a wrong perception IMO of what a movie star is. The recent chat was great at summing up the qualities, not every actor or actress is a star, not every star lasts for decades or has a long list of great performances behind them. There are modern stars I like who should be there but many others are merely actors not stars. Today it appears any good actor is considered a "movie star". There is space in a top 100 Stars list for great actors true but it is no measure of stardom. That is why IMO Bogart and Wayne should be at the top not Pacino and De Niro. Now I've got a lot of time for Pacino and De Niro, both are great actors but iconic stars (?) maybe stars yes but no 1 and 2 of all time ? Not to me, they would be on my list but not even in the top 10.

BTW there is another Channel 4 list on at Xmas : Top 100 Family Films
drednm
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 10:47 PM

Mega Member

it's a stupid list.... ewan mcgregor? top ten all time movie star?? LOL

NO women in the top ten and audrey heprburn is top-ranked woman? LOL

christopher lee and gary oldman? LOL

stupid list
drednm
Posted: Nov 28 2005, 10:50 PM

Mega Member

and who in hell is Amitabh Bachchan ? one of the greats in film history.... LOL

ya I always get him/her mixed up with Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and Charlie Chaplin..... or if it's a she, Bette Davis, Judy Garland, and Lillian Gish......

worst list of its kind I ever saw
samspadefan
Posted: Nov 29 2005, 03:19 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 167

Well....I wasted 10 seconds looking at that list. It shall be just as quickly forgotten.
Vecchiolarry
  Posted: Nov 29 2005, 11:48 PM

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 132

Hello everyone,

One has to laugh at a list like this. I just glanced at it as I scrooled down and ended up with a smile on my face.
It is to laugh!!

Best or greatest or worst is such a subjective thing.

Personally, after watching about 10 minutes of "42 Street" this morning on TCM, I would pick Bebe Daniels over a lot of the women mentioned.......
What a very talented person she was - sing, dance, charm and act, too - and all in the same scene..... Today, she is forgotten. Pity!

Larry
drednm
Posted: Nov 30 2005, 02:29 AM

Mega Member

Amitabh Bachchan is Bebe Daniels' real name. So I guess she made the list......
Melly
Posted: Nov 30 2005, 06:06 AM

Mega Member

Member No.: 200

Um, Bebe Daniels real name is Phyllis Daniels, she also went by Virignia Daniels.
Click Here

This is Amitabh Bachchan: Click Here

This post has been edited by Melly on Nov 30 2005, 06:10 AM
grassharp
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 11:33 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 179

Well, I just read the list. Stupified!
Brad Pitt?
Cameron Diaz?
As I believe was stated, there seems to be some confusion over stars vs. personalitlies. Brad Pitt is the 'it' boy in the media right now. Will the next two generations look back and say "WOW what a great actor" I am thinking ....no.

Wow....wow
KateHepburnFan
Posted: Dec 25 2005, 12:32 AM

"Life is hard, after all, it kills you." - K. Hepburn

Member No.: 251

To put it kindly, this is The Worst movie list I have ever seen. (judging from other folks reactions here, they think so too.) blink.gif

The line below says it all:
goldy
Posted: Jan 12 2006, 04:40 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 262

Wow! That was good for a laugh!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic Options ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1622 seconds | Archive