Skin created by Ktrek

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Golden Age of Hollywood. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

A PASSAGE TO INDIA (1984)
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 04:24 AM

Mega Member

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 187

Excellent film by David Lean, based on the novel by E.M. Forster, examines Anglo-Indian attitudes after WW I.

The film won a supporting Oscar for Peggy Ashcroft and a lead nom for wonderful Judy Davis, But Victor Banerjee is also excellent as Aziz and if the film had been made 20 years later would have won him an Oscar nomination.

Slow and stately, the film unravels the world of British India as Aziz goes from toady to rebel because of the sexual hysterics of an English lady (Davis). Lean has a keen eye and shows us a beautiful India of mountains and rivers and skies.

When I first saw this film in 1984 I was very impatient at its deliberate pace, but now it's a revelation of craftsmanship and superb acting.

Also very good are James Fox, Saeed Jaffrey, Nigel Havers, Michael Culver as the lawyer, Antonia Pemberton as the hideous Mrs. Turton, and Alec Guinness as Godboli.

Geoffies
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 07:39 AM

Mega Member

Member No.: 287

I saw this when it was first released and a couple of times since. A handsomely mounted production but it came out hot on the heels of the highly aclaimed British TV drama series THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN which was shown about 1983 and to which it has more than a passing resemblance. Peggy Ashcroft also starred in that.

We refer to the time when the British ruled India as "The days of the Raj" something some of us here in the UK find rather embarrassing today.
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 08:35 AM

Mega Member

Why would you be embarrassed? What's it to do with you?

I hate the PC bullshit that tries to make us feel guilty for history......

If you want to be embarrassed, be embarrassed over Tony Blair and I'll be embarrassed over Bush.....

I loved THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN when I saw it decades ago. Tim Piggott-Smith, Geraldine James, Susan Waldridge?, Peggy Aschcroft, Fabia Drake, etc..... The last gasp of MASTERPIECE THEATER....

Judy Davis (A PASSAGE TO INDIA) joins the ranks of greats stars who couldn't win an Oscar.....

Geoffies
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 09:53 AM

Mega Member

Depends how one defines history. When I was born Britain still had an empire. If you define history as something before one was born then what has vintage Hollywood to do with me? Am I not allowed to be embarrassed when I see a favourite star giving a bad performance?

History! As is widely reported in this morning's newspapers, Hugh Grant and Jemima Khan are HISTORY!

On the subject of THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN don't forget the excellent Judy Parfitt. She played the mother of the two girls.
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 05:35 PM

Mega Member

History has nothing to do with me.... but of course we all claim what baggage we want....

and yes Judy Parfitt was excellent. I'm surprised she didn't become a bigger star like Mirren or Dench..... but then I'm also surprised Diana Rigg didn't have a bigger film career.....

Geoffies
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 07:40 PM

Mega Member

QUOTE (drednm @ Feb 18 2007, 05:35 PM)
History has nothing to do with me.... but of course we all claim what baggage we want....

Precisely!

So no need to summarily dismiss what everyone else thinks!

By the way I'm watching an episode of JEWEL at the moment as there is nothing else on.
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 07:44 PM

Mega Member

Enjoy your baggage.....

Geoffies
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 08:54 PM

Mega Member

What baggage? No dame from Washington Heights ever got a fox fur out of me!
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 09:03 PM

Mega Member

LOL.....

I didn't mean that to turn into an argument....

I was stunned at how good A PASSAGE TO INDIA was..... Osborne (are you getting the 31 Days of Oscar in UK?) introduced it by saying David Lean had had a 14 year period when he never made a film. Lean scrambled for YEARS to get the financing for INDIA.....
Geoffies
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 10:09 PM

Mega Member

If you mean TCM, yes we do get the occasional month of Oscar winners but not at the moment I don't think.

Love the bit when Aziz hangs off the train whilst crossing a high bridge.
"Look - Douglas Fairbanks!". The worldwide appeal of silent Hollywood.
drednm
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 10:32 PM

Mega Member

OH we get the official 31 DAYS OF OSCAR for programming in March or February... the films are grouped into various categories of wins and nominations..... A PASSAGE TO INDIA was in a group of supporting actress Oscar winners......

and yes that train shot over a river was quite good.....
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1105 seconds | Archive