Skin created by Ktrek

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to The Golden Age of Hollywood. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Out of the Past (1947)
Classic Movie Man
Posted: Sep 9 2005, 07:08 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

A thin but well-shot suspense melodrama, kept from collapsing by the suggestiveness and intensity that the director, Jacques Tourneur, pours on. It's empty trash, but you do keep watching it. Kirk Douglas, a gangster, hires Robert Mitchum to find Jane Greer, who has run away from him. Predictably, she gets Mitchum (at his most somnolent-sexy droopy-eyed) in her clutches, and there are several killings before matters are resolved. The screenplay is by Geoffrey Homes (a pseudonym of Daniel Mainwaring), from his novel Build My Gallows High. Cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca; with Rhonda Fleming and Dickie Moore. RKO. (Pauline Kael Review)

What do you think of this movie ?

NINA81
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 01:28 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Member
Member No.: 250

I watched this at the Glasgow Film Theatre Cinema on Wednesday night as part of my evening course "Hollywood Decades".

It stars Robert Mitchum as a detective who is sent by Kirk Douglas playing a gangster to find and bring back his girlfriend played by Jane Greer.

But when Mitchum tracks down Greer they fall in love and run away together but there past eventually catches up with them.

I really enjoyed the film, found it very exciting and interesting as it kept you guessing what was going to happen next.

Next Wednesday night on the course we will discussing the film and other Film Noir movies of the 1940s.

Nina smile.gif
Ktrek
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 02:09 PM

Co-Administrator

Member No.: 1

I just watched this film a couple of weeks ago. I can't help liking any film that puts Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas together. Douglas was quite good at playing the bad guy. I especialy liked his character in this film because he wasn't just a mobster thug, he had brains, and he did things with tack and cleverness. Mitchum's character was a fool to try and cover things up when the first murder takes place. I don't care how much I love someone I would have turned her in and taken the heat. The film has all the elements of a classic film noir including a noir ending. I'd give the film 3 out 5 stars.

Kevin
Ian
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 04:34 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 268

ROBERT MITCHUM is one of Hollywood's real greats. He could convey so much with so little -real economy of expression. Something he had in common I feel with BARBARA STANWYCK.

He played two of the most effectively sinister psychos in Hollywood film history in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and CAPE FEAR.

And he's really good also in a slightly obscure but interesting Western called TRACK OF THE CAT, set in the snowy wastes of some Northern state, maybe Montana. It's a real Cold War Western- about a big cat out in the forest, a symbol of paranoia and fear.

And I'd give OUT OF THE PAST more than 3 out of 5 I think, 7 or 8 out of 10. It's good.
samspadefan
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 05:48 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 167

Out of the Past has very good (perhaps not great) story to it that relies a bit too much on trying to befuddle the viewer -- it does require paying attention to what is going on, but that can be hard to do when absorbed with listening to the language and becoming engrossed in the aura.

Quite simply, Out of the Past is to me the best example of what we all basically feel a proper film noir should sound, look and feel like. It will definitely be getting more viewings from myself.

8+/10.
Classic Movie Man
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 05:53 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 4

I have some problems with this film. The cast in particular make me feel it should add up to a bit more than it does. I think maybe I should try viewing this again or it might just be one of those classics with characters/ actions I can't relate to like Gunga Din (1939).

My score for the moment at least is 2 out of 5.
Angel2121
Posted: Feb 3 2006, 11:43 PM

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 188

I think that it's a pretty good movie, overall. Classic noir. My favorite thing about it was Kirk Douglas's performance as Whit Sterling. . . I thought that it was almost flawless, and that Sterling was a great character. Robert Mitchum does a pretty good job, too. I guess I'd give it 7/10 overall.
shepardjessica-1
Posted: Feb 13 2006, 01:19 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 265

One of the best of '47 and Jane Greer was perfect. One of Mitchum's best and I liked when Kirk Douglas played sleazy types when he was younger. blink.gif
Bradman
Posted: Feb 13 2006, 01:56 PM

Banned

Group: Banned
Member No.: 170

I watched it a few days ago and I found it very impressive. The mood and atmosphere of the movie is spot on, definitive noir. It isn't in the big league alongside The Big Sleep or Double Imdemnity etc. but it isn't far away either. It has a wonderful cast, marvellous acting, excellent dialogue etc but it amounts to much more than the sum of it's parts, overall it's hugely enjoyable. I would give it 8.5 out of 10. Yes.gif
fxpettijohn
Posted: Apr 4 2009, 11:06 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (shepardjessica-1 @ Feb 13 2006, 01:19 PM)
"One of the best of '47 and Jane Greer was perfect. One of Mitchum's best and I liked when Kirk Douglas played sleazy types when he was younger. "

I couldnt agree more . Mitchum and Greer were excellent together . It was easy to see why he fell under her spell
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Topic Options ADD REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5124 seconds | Archive