Lights out!

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Dark Forums (Lights Out!). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

The Fate of Project S.L.A.G.A.R., It's all up to you, really
Slagar
Posted: Apr 17 2006, 06:44 AM

I QUIT!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE ("Myself @ January 1st @ 2006")
But then, I'm sure YOU, the viewer, does not care about any of this behind-the-scenes nonsense! You are here for Redwall satire and entertainment, and I am here to tell you that in 2006 Project S.L.A.G.A.R. will deliver. Joining the final parts of Coast to Coast and Superstripe will be many new and reformatted Javascript games, The Cursed Village, Vermin Invaders 3 (which quite frankly will make the other two look even more shameful than they already do), one last work of Redwall satire, and at some point the kind of "community-authored" projects which I hope this site can play host to after I'm no longer involved with it.

Now that 2006's well under way, let's see which of my promises I've managed to keep so far: I've released the Cursed Village, I've finished Slagar the Cruel: Coast to Coast, I've finished "Ask Slagar".

So whatís left? New and reformatted Javascript games, I guess, but it's really not something I have any interest in doing, and I doubt it sparks much interest on your end, either. Then there's Vermin Invaders 3, which... honestly, I never felt it needed to be made. Remember when I'd actually laugh about it when people asked for it in "Ask Slagar"? The only reason I agreed to start working on it is because I felt some kind of pressure from "the fans", but if the release of The Cursed Village is any indication, creating VI3 would be just as unrewarding... or more, since I have no personal interest in the idea. Also I have no time to work on huge projects like that anymore.

Therefore the only things still lined up for PSLAGAR at this point are the resolution to the Superstripe saga, which I think I can pull off in one update if I do it right, and the part where I step back a bit and make the site become a multi-authored work of the community.

The idea was to convert my site into a sort of portal to the works of creative, talented Redwall fans. After applying to be a contributor and being reviewed and accepted, creators would recieve access to an automated system that would allow them to start their own "projects" - writings, comics, songs, whatever - and update them on a personal basis. The casual viewer of the site could check what features have been most recently updated, search for content of a particular nature... perhaps a ratings system could be instituted that would allow the most popular projects to be featured more prominently. Creators recieve greater collective exposure, viewers get a variety of quality content, everyone wins.

I no longer believe that this idea can work. Project S.L.A.G.A.R. does not seem to be gaining popularity or exposure as I had expected it would, therefore there is little incentive for someone to want their work showcased under the PSLAGAR banner. How many talented people really care about this site anymore, anyways? Plus, the ďaudio projectĒ I was trying to support earlier has taught me how unreliable these collaborative projects really are. Some people buckle under the pressure. Some people are just compulsive liars.

As things stand, I am planning to just stop updating Project S.L.A.G.A.R. after finishing The Adventures of Superstripe. Thatís where this thread comes in. I feel itís only fair to give you guys the chance to prove me wrong about this and somehow convince me that this idea or something like it could be pulled off, that itís worth it to spend my time giving it a try.

I'm starting a thread at Terrouge about this idea to gauge interest, since theyíre pretty much the most active Redwall forums I know of. If enough people seem convinced that the concept could pan out, who knows, maybe Iíll give it a shot. Donít get your hopes up.
Badtail
Posted: Apr 18 2006, 01:51 AM

CHEESE

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

Maybe i could send out a load of pms at DAB and see if theyll join
Distraught
Posted: Apr 18 2006, 08:05 PM

Unregistered

msnsad.gif msnsad.gif : msnsad.gif mad.gif mad.gif emot-ssj.gif msnsad.gif msnsad.gif
Agravaine the Aggravating
Posted: Apr 18 2006, 11:16 PM

Unregistered

No S.L.A.G.A.R. without Slagar! No S.L.A.G.A.R. without Slagar!
Chesk Otter
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 03:00 AM

Newbeast

Member No.: 49

So whatís left? New and reformatted Javascript games, I guess, but it's really not something I have any interest in doing, and I doubt it sparks much interest on your end, either. Then there's Vermin Invaders 3, which... honestly, I never felt it needed to be made. Remember when I'd actually laugh about it when people asked for it in "Ask Slagar"? The only reason I agreed to start working on it is because I felt some kind of pressure from "the fans", but if the release of The Cursed Village is any indication, creating VI3 would be just as unrewarding... or more, since I have no personal interest in the idea. Also I have no time to work on huge projects like that anymore.

Just do whatever you want to do. Only start the project if it'll actually be fun for you to make. I can see why you would want to turn PSLAGAR into a fan-based thing: personally, I like making websites more than actually updating them.

I no longer believe that this idea can work. Project S.L.A.G.A.R. does not seem to be gaining popularity or exposure as I had expected it would, therefore there is little incentive for someone to want their work showcased under the PSLAGAR banner. How many talented people really care about this site anymore, anyways? Plus, the ďaudio projectĒ I was trying to support earlier has taught me how unreliable these collaborative projects really are. Some people buckle under the pressure. Some people are just compulsive liars.

As things stand, I am planning to just stop updating Project S.L.A.G.A.R. after finishing The Adventures of Superstripe. Thatís where this thread comes in. I feel itís only fair to give you guys the chance to prove me wrong about this and somehow convince me that this idea or something like it could be pulled off, that itís worth it to spend my time giving it a try.

Honestly, PSLAGAR is one of the top Redwall sites of all time (up there with Lag, Starfire's, etc), and it would be a shame to see it shut down. I think it does have some degree of infamy, but probably never really caught on because of a lack of advertisement. I dunno. Yeah, and group projects suck. I always end up being the one who organizes and coordinates everything.

If you did make this fan-based project, you could always contribute your own things every now and then.

Argh. I really gotta go. I'll give some more feedback and ideas later.
Gallentier
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 09:48 PM

Newbeast

Member No.: 70

I agree whole heartedly with Chesk. Project Slagar is one of the best, most well developed sites in the rock community. Without it, Roc itself would crumble into dust and be swept away with the old and forgotten legends of Redwall.
Predak
Posted: Apr 20 2006, 06:21 AM

Beware the Pine Martens!

Member No.: 19

There's nothing I can really add on. I love Project Slagar.
Chesk Otter
Posted: Apr 20 2006, 09:21 PM

Newbeast

Member No.: 49

If you do go with the idea, here's a website that's sort of similar:

www.gigposters.com

Different artists or graphic designers can upload posters that they've designed for concerts or gigs for different bands so other people can view and comment on them. There are some features that could be applied to a Redwall site, like the randomizer, poster of the week, and links to the latest comments and forum threads on the front page.

Also, every month or so, a list of the best Redwall works (editorials, fanfiction, art, whatever) or a list of Redwall works with a certain theme could be compiled and an introduction written. This would essentially be an e-zine that could eclipse Terrouge (which, admit it, is now 99% a forum).

Other than that, suggestions are more advertisement, no .tk address, uber forums, and maybe a less dark look to the site.

EDIT: The only problem I can see that you would have would be with relying on other people submitting enough good things for it to be successful. Most people on the ROC just talk on forums and aren't interested in writing fanfiction, or don't have video-game-making-skillz.
Predak
Posted: Apr 21 2006, 01:55 AM

Beware the Pine Martens!

Member No.: 19

^That's a good idea, Chesk.

Except don't let it turn into Terrouge wink.gif .
lantur
Posted: Apr 22 2006, 07:18 PM

Normalbeast

Member No.: 66

I going to miss project slagar. Sniff. msnsad.gif
Geo Holms
Posted: Apr 26 2006, 08:18 PM

Newbeast

Member No.: 57

*sighs* This site has been one of those rare bright spots I've found on the internet this year, and the only other ROC site I am compelled to visit, though I don't comment or contribute to the forums as much as I should. I didn't even get in a AskSlagar question off (curse my procrastination).

Overall, what is there to say? The fanfictions rock, the games rock, the site rocks in general and internet popularity is the bloody most stupid and fickle thing /ever/. The public of the internet knows nothing, and they wouldn't know a good Redwall site if it bit 'em on the tail. So there...

And so...I guess that soon, the farewell comes.

*sighs*

Geo tongue.gif
Badtail
Posted: Apr 26 2006, 09:43 PM

CHEESE

Member No.: 55

Oh come on you people we cant just give up
Slagar
Posted: Apr 26 2006, 09:45 PM

I QUIT!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Actually, the farewell already came. It was supposed to have, anyways. I'll go make a clearer announcement on the News page, and maybe a short thread about why it's over.
« Next Oldest | Project S.L.A.G.A.R. Talkback | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

NEW TOPIC NEW POLL

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0355 seconds · Archive