|Biological Weapons Accord|
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.
Category: Global Disarmament
Proposed by: Bergnovinaia
Description: The WA,
DEFINES biological weapons as:
a. Microbial or other biological agents or toxins that cannot be justified for peaceful or prophylactic purposes.
b. Weapons designed to use any such agents for hostile purposes, including equipment used solely in the production, delivery or use of those weapons.
APPALLED at the devastation biological weapons can wreak on civilian and military populations alike;
REALIZING that the disarmament of biological weapons will aid efforts in international peace and diplomacy;
DECLARES that the risk of use of biological weapons infecting non-involved nations and civilian populations is not worth utilizing the weapons;
COMMENDS nations that already do not use biological weapons;
1. REQUIRES member states to disarm their biological arsenals--including all of their currently stockpiled biological weapons and the facilities used to store them, repurpose or dismantle facilities used to produce biological weapons, never acquire or possess a biological weapon, or assist any non-member nation in any way to develop, acquire, or deploy such weapons (except for article 5).
2. CALLS FOR these weapons be disarmed in the safest way possible in order to protect the environment and the lives, property, and health of everyday citizens.
3. AFFIRMS that member nations have the right to attack or defend themselves with other weapons in accordance with past and future WA legislation.
4.DEMANDS that precautionary measures to halt the trafficking of these weapons or agents are taken.
5.ALLOWS member nations to use such agents for peaceful purposes, either nationally or internationally, which includes and does not exclude, experimentation and implementations for vaccinations and other preventative treatments, testing for decontamination purposes, or other peaceful purposes. When agents are used in accordance with this article, appropriate and effective measures must be taken to ensure safety and security.
6. CREATES and CHARGES the World Assembly Biological Weapons Commission (WABWC) with the tasks of ensuring that: all WA member nations comply by this resolution, aiding in the safe dismantling, decommissioning, and disposal of biological weapons, coordinating international efforts to restrict international trafficking of biological weapons, and determining if nations are overstepping the limits allowed by exemption clause 5.
7. The WABWC shall develop and distribute information to member nations on best practices on defending civilian and military populations against the effects of biological attack. Member nations are encouraged, moreover, to exchange such information with each other as well as with the WABWC.
8. The WABWC shall also be charged with determining proper periods for each individual member nation on a nation-to-nation basis for dismantling their biological weapon arsenals. Various factors to be considered by the WABWC when formulating a proper time period for dismantling biological arsenals shall include, but is not limited to the following: economic state of a nation, DEFCON rating of a nation, environmental state of a nation, and political and social stability of a nation.
|a. Microbial or other biological agents or toxins that cannot be justified for peaceful or prophylactic purposes.|
|QUOTE (Areopagitican @ Jun 22 2011, 09:35 PM)|
That seems like a fairly large loophole. I mean, I can justify just about anything... Right?
|QUOTE (Darenjo @ Jun 23 2011, 11:20 PM)|
|I'm changing my vote to AGAINST in accordance with the wishes of the author.|