Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Eastern Islands. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Follow this clock for all operations.

Extradition Rights
Quelesh
Posted: Apr 11 2011, 06:43 AM

God

Group: WA Delegate
Member No.: 37

Extradition Rights
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Knootoss

Description: The World Assembly,

BELIEVING that all persons have the right to a fair trial;

HAVING PREVIOUSLY ruled that Member States may not extradite a person to a jurisdiction where there is probable cause to believe they would be subjected to torture;

HAVING FURTHER ruled that nations must facilitate the extradition of those suspected of certain severe crimes, subject to national and international law;

ENTITLES all persons inside the jurisdiction of World Assembly Member States to a legal appeal in the nation from which extradition is requested;

DECLARES that persons inside the jurisdiction of a World Assembly Member State may not be extradited to another World Assembly Member State, in the absence of a treaty governing the terms of extradition or a national law governing the terms of extradition to nations with whom no treaty has been established;

FURTHER DECLARES that a legal appeal against extradition must also be accepted if any of the following are true:
a) The nation requesting extradition cannot provide evidence that unless rebutted would be sufficient to prove the act for which extradition is sought;
b) The act for which extradition is sought does not constitute a crime in the nation from which extradition is requested;
c) The crime for which extradition is sought is of a political nature;
d) The punishment for the crime for which extradition is sought would not be administered in the nation from which extradition is requested;
e) The nation from which extradition is requested claims jurisdiction over the crime for which extradition is sought;

CLARIFIES that the nation from which extradition is requested may also refuse to extradite for other reasons, insofar as such refusal does not contradict existing World Assembly resolutions;

ENCOURAGES Member States to enact legislation which facilitates the prosecution of cross-border crime.

--------------------
Liberty and justice for all.
Belschaft
Posted: Apr 11 2011, 05:12 PM

God

Group: Minister of Foreign Affairs
Member No.: 87

Opposed, strongly.
Glen-Rhodes
Posted: Apr 11 2011, 10:54 PM

God

Group: Chief Justice
Member No.: 104

QUOTE (Belschaft @ Apr 11 2011, 10:12 AM)
Opposed, strongly.

I share this opinion.
Belschaft
Posted: Apr 11 2011, 11:26 PM

God

Member No.: 87

I don't really fancy describing why in detail, because it would run to a brief essay. Practically every part of it seems written to weaken extradition, not strengthen it.
Ossitania
Posted: Apr 13 2011, 07:43 PM

God

Member No.: 86

FOR.
Quelesh
Posted: Apr 17 2011, 04:43 PM

God

Group: WA Delegate
Member No.: 37

I've voted AGAINST for now, but the regional vote is close, so my vote could be changed.

--------------------
Liberty and justice for all.
Yawyn
Posted: Apr 17 2011, 06:56 PM

God

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 128

For
Darenjo
Posted: Apr 19 2011, 12:18 AM

God

Group: WA Authors
Member No.: 88

Opposed. But I can be persuaded.

--------------------
Vice-Delegate of Eastern Islands of Dharma

Associate Justice for the Dharman Supreme Court

Member of the [rainbow]IntFed World Takeover Operation[/rainbow] - "Sovereignty is so U.N."
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3042 seconds | Archive