Check out the T3M Banner Archive!

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Third Moon, the official forum for West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage and The OPCFG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

9/10/14 - The fundraising campaign for the upcoming fanfilm Splatterhouse: Jennifer Smells of Rot has begun! Find out more about it in Fan Central! Also, Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman is still available, and you can buy a copy (paperback or eBook) at the official website. - Dire

Check out the latest activity on T3M here.

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )

So I've been messing around with the DLC
Vlygar
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:10 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Group: Terror Mask
Member No.: 516

A little confused here. Are you saying that level 6 was originally a pirate ship or something pirate themed and had a backstory about another victim who wore the mask?

I'm really loving this thread, it's like watching an archaeologist uncover lost cultures.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:39 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Member No.: 877

From what I gathered, it consisted of 4 islands for 6-1 and the boss battle for the last. West actually talks about this event in one of his journal entries, where he finds the sarcophagus. The captain found the mask and used it, but Lord Thule (a cthulu like horror) was already there. Its his body that you find in the coffin at the start of the game.

Also, it's the fourth eclipse. It's always seemed odd that the game really only had 4 (West Mansion, Fairgrounds, Wickerman, NYC) of 5.

What's kinda saddening is that I can't find anything for the cut alt endings...there were two in two very different directions from the subtitle text, and there's no audio thus far for either. :\
Rodrigo Shin
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 01:20 AM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Member No.: 563

Well, this stuff knocks me off my horse everytime I read a new post. Especially seeing how I never played '10 properly to begin with.

That's an awesome bang up job on what went unused and then some.

(and I have to give major props to the Brickster for plugging Manos yet again.)
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 12:59 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

So I've started working content back into the game, starting with photographs...and let me tell you, that's more a pain in the neck to figure out at first than it looks. Currently the only problem is that I somehow broke the scrolling function, but I'll figure that out. In addition, got Rick and Jen's photo to be unlocked by default. You do come across the bloomin thing at the start of the game, after all.

Adding new survival areas shouldn't be too much of a problem (got two in mind), and the game has support for quite a few additional masks. Zlash is a program I ran across that's able to handle the GFX files once converted to Flash, and is a helluva lot better than the other tools I've seen people recommend all over, even if it did cost me $40 :p

Right now the biggest holdup is the 3d model format. It's NIF, but it's a newer version none of the third-party tools can comprehend. In addition, there's a distinction between PS3 and Xbox versions of the files, so I'm going to have to tackle that at some point. You're not going to see anything regarding restoring the bosses or lost level until I can do that, sorry. :\ Speaking of which, West's journal actually went into quite a bit of detail in an odd way about what they planned to do in the game at a few points, including the fact the Wickerman was originally the boss of 5-2 before being cut, and a thorough concept of how levels 6-1 and 6-2 were to function.

One final note: there's enough here that an alternate ending could be done, in a similar vein to one of the considered endings. Like the above, it'll be awhile before you see that fleshed out.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things proceed.
Double L
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 02:52 PM

He'll rip your ****ing balls off"
Group Icon

Member No.: 543

You are the MAN!!! Even if all this doesn't work out, you've still done a bloody fine job :cheers
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 07:46 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Well beyond adding the pictures...I've run straight into a brick wall. To build the stages and whatnot, I'd need to either spend a year or two reverse engineering the formats and making my own tools, or buying licensed copies of Gamebryo and Wwise.

Slow and steady...
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 11:29 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Double posts are always fun. So anyway! I turned my attention off the heavier modding and to the smaller stuff, and found some interesting bits.

First off, the weapons:
*The i-beam is actually referenced in game, just never pops up: three levels are meant to spawn it, two of which being survival arenas. Attaching the unused animation "HP_Debris" to it fixes the animation somewhat, though it still clips a little. This weapon should be restorable though with more work.
*The cinderblock's another story, though still there in part. A dummied animation exists, though it's basically the same as the head animation now, and a debris file that spawns the pieces when it breaks still works. Just needs a model from here.
*There are several other debris files that have no correlation to any known weapon sadly, but give some food for though: roboape_cuff, debrispart_debris (seems to be same as cinderblock debris), and machinepart_debris.

Now as for animations...there's quite a bit in here too:
*The splatterkills for the "vader neck break" (no really that's what they call it) and whatnot are no longer in here, but still referenced. Some enemies still have the matching animation parts to boot.
*Rick can drown.
*Rick has...a very weird animation. In it, he holds his hands upward in an "arise" motion. The file itself is called reanimation, and apparently several enemies have a reference trigger for such an event. Early concept art showed Rick standing behind several enemies and pointing forward...perhaps at some point you were able to raise the dead and use them to fight for you.

I've put more of my notes on the Cutting Room Floor's wikia page for SH, but yeah looks like we've just scratched the surface on what can be played with even with limited tools.
Rodrigo Shin
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 12:51 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Member No.: 563

QUOTE (Kung Fu Man @ Mar 22 2012, 11:29 AM)
*Rick has...a very weird animation. In it, he holds his hands upward in an "arise" motion. The file itself is called reanimation, and apparently several enemies have a reference trigger for such an event. Early concept art showed Rick standing behind several enemies and pointing forward...perhaps at some point you were able to raise the dead and use them to fight for you.

Yeah, that was part of BR's scrapped concepts.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 08:32 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Yeah, sadly there's not enough here to restore it quickly, but the components exist at least.

In other news, I've restored some functionality to the rolling! Now when you hold the RB, pressing Left, Right and Back on the directional pad will cause Rick to do a roll without changing direction. This still leaves the original roll functionality intact, while giving you more control over the fight and options when slugging it out, since there's no lock-on option as it were.

I'm still mulling over what to do if anything about the strafing anims, backwards running and the lost attacks, but it's getting there.
Psicoso
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 11:19 PM

Scapegoat

Group: Zombie
Member No.: 1,000

Ash, you magnificent bastard.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 12:32 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Haha, good to see you Psi! Actually got one for you I dug up in the localization files today. Meant for a pic that didn't appear in the game, they did quite a few alts for this one, one interesting one in particular...

<String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_a" val="Hey!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_b" val="Pssst!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_c" val="Heads up!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_d" val="Oh my god! Is that Tom Savini!?"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_e" val="Hey Taylor!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_010_jf_f" val="Rii-iick!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_020_jf_a" val="Say cheese!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_020_jf_b" val="Hold it..."/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_a" val="Gotcha!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_b" val="..."/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_c" val="Sucker!"/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_d" val="Another soul stolen..."/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_e" val="Aw, you're blurry..."/>
  <String key="lvlxs95_030_jf_f" val="God, you're the only person I've ever met who gets red-eye in natural light."/>

Sadly...yeah that one doesn't have an audio file in here, sorry. :\

In other news, been cleaning out some of the engine's "debris" as it were, namely the checks for cut features and whatnot I can't add back in even once I get the rest of the formats undone. Case in point, there's a "gore" check within the game that does nothing even if you toggle the variable manually, but the game still looks for it regardless. There are other odd bits, like the subtitles for the photo gallery being loaded with every level and the massive amount of unused lines within the localization files that have no accompanying audio to them.

Carving these out lightens the load on the game's engine heavily, visibly cutting down on the loading times without actually cutting any useful content. Unless the beta shows up again and it has even more sounds lying around, there's no sense in it wasting memory like this.

As far as work on things goes, I'm working with another fellow called AoKManiac13, managed to make some headway on getting the models to load. GameBryo's actual SDK is still a no-go, BottleRocket made a custom format but I've managed to find close counterparts to theirs, so it's a matter of time. The soundbank format is another matter, but doesn't look as hellish.
PrimeOp
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 03:34 AM

Sterner Stuff
Group Icon

Group: Mooninites
Member No.: 23

I read this entire topic in one shot a few days ago and I'm still amazed by how much you've untangled.
Dire 51
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 05:55 AM

Keeper of the Terror Mask
Group Icon

Group: Edgecrusher
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Kung Fu Man @ Mar 27 2012, 12:32 AM)
Carving these out lightens the load on the game's engine heavily, visibly cutting down on the loading times without actually cutting any useful content.

So, what you're saying is if they'd dumped a lot of this unused stuff, the load times could have been shortened? That would have eliminated one of the biggest complaints about the game (and given those reviewers a little less ammo). Now why didn't they think of that?
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 06:23 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Probably because they ran out of time to really optimize the game, and since it reloads the entire level anyway even when you die the load times still are a little meaty, sadly. Given the version we saw bits of from that guy who was trying to sell the beta vs. what we got when Namco took over, all the development time probably went to pulling together what was left into something cohesive.

If anything, things like levels still referencing the very-broken I-Beam weapon or the dlc survival areas that tout unlockables that never exist (and were originally part of the main game till a certain point) point at that at the very least.
Dire 51
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 06:31 AM

Keeper of the Terror Mask
Group Icon

Group: Edgecrusher
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Kung Fu Man @ Mar 27 2012, 06:23 AM)
Probably because they ran out of time to really optimize the game, and since it reloads the entire level anyway even when you die the load times still are a little meaty, sadly.

Oh well.

Given the version we saw bits of from that guy who was trying to sell the beta vs. what we got when Namco took over, all the development time probably went to pulling together what was left into something cohesive.

Not probably, definitely. I heard that direct from Dave Wilkins after NB took over from BottleRocket. I can't give you his exact quote, but that's basically what it boiled down to.
Psicoso
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 12:40 AM

Scapegoat

Member No.: 1,000

KFM, awesome!

Still haven't played, so forgive the newness - The mask is reminding me of Left Hand from Vampire Hunter D.

Also - member 1000. Sweet.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 09:24 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Made some headway with the havok files:
(Posted Image)

It doesn't look like much, but that's the collision box for the armor stand. The hkx files are in big-endian, meaning groups of 4 bytes have to be swapped around in order for it to load properly in the viewer and can be converted to other formats as a result. Model skeletons are giving me a bit more of a hassle, there are some bytes that apparently aren't supposed to be switched and I haven't sorted out which those are.

We're slowly getting there.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 09:48 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

(Posted Image)

I am officially the only person that got Skyrim just to research how its files worked. And yeah that's Dr. West's skeleton for those curious.
corpse monger
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 12:43 AM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Group: Lord of Splatmosphere
Member No.: 513

I thought this might be of some relevence here...some of this definitely appears to have been lost to the finished product...
http://kyoonlee.com/pro.html
Vlygar
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:03 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

The few missing characters look really good and I haven't noticed those bare chested statues in the game anywhere.. :(

Nice boobs on those afro samurai chicks :)
corpse monger
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 04:19 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Group: Lord of Splatmosphere
Member No.: 513

Agreed on all counts (particularly the boobs), but I particularly enjoy the claw-faced xeno-demon warlord. That thing pretty much rocked...
Brick McBurly
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 10:22 PM

Jidai-geki Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

QUOTE (Vlygar @ Apr 9 2012, 04:03 PM)
Nice boobs on those afro samurai chicks :)

Virtually about the ONLY good thing in that godawful piece of crap game.
Vlygar
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 10:59 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

What are the blue versions of the final boss pics?
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 11:23 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Bump maps, they give depth to the model. Speaking of which, I now can convert animations to PC format so the havok toolset can handle them, go me.
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 07:39 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

I now have...the design document for the game, which is VERY helpful to what I'm doing. Not going to name the source and not going to post it because I'm walking up to Namco already as is and poking them in the eye with my mod, but here's the juicy bits to know. Warning, this will be one VERY big post.
*The monster in the tank in 3-2 is indeed The Lord Thule.
*The original game would've left Rick's visible damage as its health bar.
*Rick would've originally been able to heal by standing around outside of combat, kinda like most FPS's.
*The storyline between Rick, Jennifer and West didn't change much from the synopsis.
*The Mask is the Overlord's son. Enjoy some patricide folds.
*The 'sentinel' enemy was originally just a special class of footsoldier. It would've had the same 'stronger' counterparts as the regular footsoldiers.
*The Spitter was able to fire leeches (what later became boreworms), and would've exploded when damaged. This explains the "ranged attack" hit the game throws at you.
*Leeches would've latched onto Rick and drained Necro. Once full, they would fall off and turn into Bloaters, which acted as mobile bombs.
*The Slaughterhouse area used to be in a third-world nation, not an alternate future. "Innocent"-class zombies would be rounded up by Morlocks for processing. Biggy man was still the boss, but wasn't supposed to die here originally...
*The Arctic base's boss was originally the robo ape. explaining why that part of West's mansion looks so...jarringly like a hangar.
*Splatterkills against bosses and sub-bosses:
-Clawface: leap onto back and punch out brain pan
-Biggyman 1: Gets thrown into the portal, seemingly killing him and re-activating the portal.
-Biggyman 2: Rick impales him on his own arm, killing him for good.
-Aggressor: Jumped onto enemy and pull his head off by the horns. This one survived quite a while from what's shown in the trailers before turning into the tentacle grab.
-Summoner: Head ripped off then squished in Rick's fist.

Original Splatterkills for all basic enemies:
-Arm removal, head removal: Used in the same way as the regular grab attacks.
-Arm break
-Punch flurry: Rapid punches to stomach and head, resulting in body going boom. Eh, they're already dead.
-Side to side slam: Grabs enemy, slams them from side to side.
-Launch and super-punch: Tosses enemy up, punches them away
-Neck Break: Breaks enemy's neck.
-Back Breaker: Slams enemy on Rick's back and breaks theirs. The animation for this one still exists.
-Horizontal tear: Tears enemy in half
-Multismash: Slams enemy multiple times, first destroying head then body
-Head pop: Slaps the enemy's noggin off.
-Vader choke: Lift's up enemy by neck and break's it.
-Curb stomp: Smash enemy head
-Pile driver

Weapon based splatterkills on regular enemies:
-Blunt: Knocks enemy into the air, then slams them into the ground.
-Bladed: Tosses blade into the air, catches it and impales the enemy in the head.
-Chainsaw; Rick saws off one arm at a time, then the torso.
-Shotgun: Puts the gun into the enemy's mouth and pulls the trigger.

DLC fiesta!
*All survival levels were at one time considered as dlc. Bosses would have more liberally appeared here too. From what I understand, they would've acted as one long area, using mini-portal to go from each to each, and existed as an idea of Rick's worst nightmares in this order:
-Final Battle area
-Thule islands
-Mansion lab
-Carnival midway
-Slaughterhouse entrance
-Mansion gardens
*Jennifer Zombie: Special boss for the last area. Would've used the zombie's animations but much more health and attack damage, as well as various abilities. While they did state it was still to be decided, the following would've been considered:
-Summon zombies/morlocks
-Projectile attacks
-Summon Mirror Rick
-Unique Splatterkill
-Area of effect attacks
-Movement and attack variations different from regular zombies
*4 splatterkills
*4 weapons, only for dlc levels: Battery (projectile, stuns enemies), Pipe wrapped in bare wire (blunt, extra damage), West Family Scimitar (Bladed, extra damage), West's Hunting Rifle (shotgun, no splash damage but high damage to single target)
*Retailer-specific weapon replacers: Not stated which were for which. Spiked Club (2x4), Samurai Sword (sword), Hedge Trimmer (chainsaw), Bowling ball (cinder block), Broken Halberd (sword)
*Leveling up would've been in one uniform path, depending on how many points you earned. Splatterkills and necro boosts would be unlocked at this time. Regular attacks would've also upgraded, but it wasn't mapped out at the time this doc was written.
*Body slam throw: Grabs enemy, jumps and slams them into the ground to do splash damage. This would've acted as a regular throw attack.
*Rick was initially able to lose both arms. Losing the second one would've disabled jump nodes.
*Cut projectile weapons: Cinderblock, machine part, debris piece. Note the i-beam isn't listed here.
*Zombie classes:
-level 1: Basic swipes
-level 2: Grab ability that can drain health, can mob Rick.
-level 3: Same as above, but can drain necro.
-level 4: Has all zombie abilities.
-"Innocent" zombies would be the first with the necro drain attack the player would encounter.
-Nazi zombies were the level 4 variant, and would've been armed.
-All zombies would've required dismembering to be killed permanently...

*The corrupted were modeled after the Coventant of Halo 3 or Locust of Gears of War, intended to serve as a contrast to the "local" forces of zombies.

*Footsoldier classes:
-level 1: Uppercut, two hit combo and can block.
-level 2: Evade move, evade with a swipe, 3 hit combo, arm removal, ground pound when put into frenzy by aggressor.
-level 3: Evade with an uppercut, jump attack
-level 4: Evade with arm removal counterattack

*The Morlocks are para-dimensional mercenaries. Yeah you just read that. Their role was modeled after the Brutes of Halo 3. Had the dogpile attack that could kill a downed Rick instantly if you failed the QTE.

*The summoner could be protected from projectile attacks by its portal. Had an eye-beam, shown by a tracer beam before firing. immune to hand-to-hand combat by countering with its tentacles, meant to be taken out at long range until it could be Splatterkilled.

I'm going to stop for now, typing this much is a pain. I'll post the rest later tonight.
ddp72984
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 04:36 AM

"I got in a fight. An awesome fight..."

Member No.: 550

Long time no see guys!

Kung Fu, great job on this research. I'm really excited to hear about all this stuff that's hidden in the game.

Since you're exploring the game, can I ask a quick question? Is there any way to extract the "new" splatterhouse 3 rom from the game? maybe even a trace of the famicom rom?

Thanks
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 07:02 PM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

The "rom" as it were is actually split into several separate files, with the levels and cutscenes as several bin files. Opening them in a hex editor shows that the format is actually GHD for most of these files. And the sega emulator does not apparently open these...the best way to play this rom would probably be to recreate it.

And sadly no, the famicom rom is clearly absent. :\

Interestingly the SH1 rom is a modified arcade rom, though the format is very different (even the "Copyright" text is absent from it). I tried replacing files but with no avail...
DarkLordPsycho
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 10:14 PM

Transgression

Group: Deadmen
Member No.: 851

Hello everyone!

I have been reading this for awhile and just wanted to say that Kung Fu Man has given me hope that even without a sequel we may still see a very good fan made mod someday. I fully support keeping Splatterhouse alive and never stopped playing it. Keep up the good work KFM and good luck!
Kung Fu Man
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 01:22 AM

Smasher/Devourer
Group Icon

Well with the xbox still shot, I can't do much other than put together what I have lying around...this should still tickle the fancy of some folks though.
Splatterhouse Cut Content: Fear of Clowns
Double L
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 06:33 AM

He'll rip your ****ing balls off"
Group Icon

Member No.: 543

That is cool, and pretty funny. Wish that snippet of dialogue would have been kept.
« Next Oldest | Splatterhouse (2010) | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1537 seconds | Archive