Check out the T3M Banner Archive!

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to The Third Moon, the official forum for West Mansion: The Splatterhouse Homepage and The OPCFG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

7/15/14 - Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman is AVAILABLE NOW! Head over to the official website to buy your copy! - Dire

Check out the latest activity on T3M here.

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Splatterhouse 3 secret cutscenes + secret level!
Snake Plissken
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 12:35 PM

Martyr

Group: Zombie
Member No.: 767

QUOTE (Brick McBurly @ Apr 29 2009, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Snake Plissken @ Apr 29 2009, 06:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rodrigo Shin @ Apr 28 2009, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Dire 51 @ Apr 28 2009, 01:09 PM)
I have to say, I prefer Brick's password tree. That shows some dedication from a longtime fan, not just a bunch of text on GameFAQs.

It's a no-contest, really - I just wound up on GameFAQs seeing if there was a faster route than the one I pick for the first stage in SH3 because I was trying to get the non-infected Jen cutscene myself, and failing miserably. :rollin' Then I stumbled on it, and thought it could be useful.

One thing, not to bump the old SH3 details thread, but half-related, since it'd be another difference from the Japanese release to the western ones: in my first playthrough of SH3, me and my brother made it to the Giant Boreworm just after seeing the Jen-with-blank-eyes-and-poppy-veins-in-her-head cutscene. What with the text saying "You didn't save her in time", when we turned the Boreworm into a fumbling piece of lifeless hell flesh, we got the "She's gone, Rick. You fucking suck" cutscene. And then I saw this playthrough on Youtube of the US version where the guy got the same cutscene, but upon beating the level Jen was safe and sound - DESPITE the text.

So, in the end you have more time to save her in the US release than the Japanese one?

Well,the quickest route for level one is going up through the three small rooms and then going to the boss room.To spare time,kill the boss using monster rick's gut move: it really saves up time.Three or four hits and he is gone fast.Choking and piledriving him leads to consuming a lot of time.My best time in US version vas 3.15 min left.

A question: so in the japanese version,the cutscene which shows at 0.0 time left with mindless jennifer and the text saying "disfigured by the boreworm,not even rick can recognize her,she is changed forever" is missing? I have to try...

You'll have to excuse my hazy memory-can't say for sure if you get one, the other, or both one after the other. It might even show up at 1:00. All of my recent playthroughs of the J-version have been pretty quick and never gotten either cutscene.
The gutbuster move (in the J-version), while easier to pull off than the US version (two button press versus the 'back and forth pad plus button' move), is also a lot weaker and really drains the 'orb' bar quickly (it doesn't drain at a constant rate like the US version). Even three or four won't do it. I found the fastest way seemed to be to transforming into monster Rick and then dealing out the standard combo, not hitting the last button, and repeating.
Even when I have gotten the 'skip level' in the J-version, I'd be lucky to have a second or two left.

Yes i know.I was talking about the USA version.
I find also jap version to be more balanced.The spin kick move is really too much powerful in my opinion.
Rodrigo Shin
Posted: Apr 29 2009, 05:14 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Group: Terror Mask
Member No.: 563

Well, far as the infected Jennifer cutscene goes, I remember that we saw the first one (blank eyes, veins in the head) when we had circa 2 minutes to make it to the Boreworm. We did kill it before time ran out - and even so, we got the bad ending. I mean, at least it's coherent with the text.

I don't recall the specific time of this Youtube video, but seemed to be under the same conditions, but that in the US version Jennifer's not truly gone until the "became a mindless beast" cutscene, which does play after the one where she's got the blank stare and all.

Snake, I'll have to see whether your route is faster than the one I was picking, but thanks for the input, I'm gonna try it now. I did make it to the "standard" Strange Zone after Stage 1, never got the skip-floor one.
Rodrigo Shin
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 04:49 AM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

Well, got the cutscene at last, and also saw the one that you can take by beating Level 2 with 3+ minutes (infected Jennifer). In it the Mask cuts to the chase about David being the key to the Demon (or Dark, pick your fave) Stone. Here's a comparison of the two cutscenes:

Standard route, to Level 3:
(Posted Image) (Posted Image)

Stage X route, to Level 4:

They picked different images even when making the standard Level 3 to 4 transition. Very interesting little touches. I've been meaning to rip all of SH3's cutscenes for a while now, this thread just about gave me the drive to go and do it. :smug

I have to say the 2nd Strange Zone is also a whole lot easier to navigate than the first. Boy, did I get lost on that place. :rollin
Brick McBurly
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 07:07 AM

Jidai-geki Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

It's pretty easy once you know the trick. It's three rows of three rooms each (so's the second). Go across the top row to the last room on the right, then down, all the way to the left room, then down, and all the way to the right. You'll hit all 9 rooms and pick up all the extra lifes. What will totally screw you up is if you decide to start checking out 'top/bottom' doors before running out of 'side' ones to go through.

Just reverse the pattern for the second (go all the way to the L, d, all the way to the R, down, all the way to the L).

I had also made maps for each level showing where each door led (including the 'warp' doors), what enemy is in each room, what weapons are found where, every pickup, and special events. Tried scanning them, but they came out illegible.
Rodrigo Shin
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 02:07 PM

Soul of a New Machine
Group Icon

QUOTE (Brick McBurly @ Apr 30 2009, 10:07 AM)
It's pretty easy once you know the trick. It's three rows of three rooms each (so's the second). Go across the top row to the last room on the right, then down, all the way to the left room, then down, and all the way to the right. You'll hit all 9 rooms and pick up all the extra lifes. What will totally screw you up is if you decide to start checking out 'top/bottom' doors before running out of 'side' ones to go through.

Just reverse the pattern for the second (go all the way to the L, d, all the way to the R, down, all the way to the L).

Well, thanks for the pointers - all I knew was that from this day on I need to make it to the room with the lonely Hellhound, pound him to death and then I'll clear the level. :lol

As for the second Strange Zone, I think it's even simpler: just go all the way to the left, and then all the way down. You'll eventually meet the final spacious room with two Blonobs, and killing them warrants your ticket to Stage 4.

I had also made maps for each level showing where each door led (including the 'warp' doors), what enemy is in each room, what weapons are found where, every pickup, and special events. Tried scanning them, but they came out illegible.

Man, I was just planning to do that - but a digital version, of course, with screenshots and what have you, where you'd click on the map to see the desired room. In fact I started doing it and the first floor is around 80% done (and the rudimentars of the first large Strange Zone as well), just needing some better screenshots for some segments and an accurate count on the enemies you find when you first enter the room. Which leads me to the next point...

You even write down the different waves that come at you? Crazy shit. In Stage 5 there's a room with two blue Hell Guardians; you defeat them, the next room has two red Dead Man Fat. Then, the previous room with the HGs should be empty, but if you enter it a third time, then you'll have to face two red Hellhounds.
Brick McBurly
Posted: Apr 30 2009, 09:27 PM

Jidai-geki Legend
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

Nope. Just wrote down the stuff that comes at you the first time through in Game Master mode.
And since it was before we had an official 'bestiary', I used abbreviations for my own names for the creatures-which I never bothered to write down, so now I don't remember what half of them are supposed to be.
Chester Thompson
  Posted: Apr 1 2012, 11:04 AM

Scapegoat

Group: Deadmen
Member No.: 1,002

I read on the Splatterhouse wiki website that there's supposed to be a third image of Jennifer as a mindless beast. This is only a rumor though. I've been playing the second level for a long time, even after Jennifer turned into a mindless beast. Afterwards, there was no other cutscene. I'm pretty sure the first time I played the game that there was the third image. I'm not sure if I was playing a different Splatterhouse 3 rom. Can anyone help me? :mask
Dire 51
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 08:00 PM

Keeper of the Terror Mask
Group Icon

Group: Edgecrusher
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Chester Thompson @ Apr 1 2012, 11:04 AM)
I read on the Splatterhouse wiki website that there's supposed to be a third image of Jennifer as a mindless beast. This is only a rumor though.

The Splatterhouse wiki has been a mess for quite some time. They've cleaned it up a little, but a lot of work still needs to be done.

That said, I wish I knew where they were coming up with some of this stuff. There has never been a third image of Jennifer in stage 2, someone would have reported it long ago (and hopefully provided a screenshot or info on how to trigger it, or both).

As far as their being different ROMs, there are only three dumps that I'm aware of: the U.S. version, the Japanese version, and the Japanese version that was cracked and dumped by the group "Fairlight" way back when. They stuck their group's name on the title screen, which caused no end of confusion years ago. For the longest time, people thought the full Japanese title was Splatterhouse Part 3: Fairlight. Even I referred to it as such during the early days of West Mansion.
TheVenom
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:22 AM

Scumgrief

Group: Zombie
Member No.: 999

As far as I know beating the level in a timely fashion is the only way to skip to the Stage X. Unless you're using a Game Genie or some device generating a password. I can't speak on behalf of the UK or Japanese regional Splatterhouse 3. I think it was just an incentive to quickly solve the level and get rewarded with a few extra lives and Rick going...??? or whatever it does in the cut scene. I have to say I am impressed I never noticed the images being differant, makes sense why even the passwords are changed. Despite the primary four endings being related to David and/or Jennifer are Dead and/or Alive,
« Next Oldest | Splatterhouse Classic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3252 seconds | Archive