zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Iriya No Sora, UFO no Natsu Review
Entreri
Posted: Aug 20 2005, 09:41 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,196

This is my first online review, so you are free to turn it into shreds with its innards goring out all over the place and I will take it as constructive criticism.

Iriya No Sora is a short anime (6 epsiodes), based on a rather famous novel in Japan. For those who have recognized the artwork behind it all, you’ll see that the style has an uncanny resemblance to Maburaho, and its done by the same artist. I liked Maburaho, mostly for the humour (though at times it can be rather stale) and that the girls were omgwtf cute. Now, you may think that if it was done by the same guy who did Maburaho, then you may have a very very bad impression of this anime, I mean I can understand why people can hate this anime from their given perspectives, but nevermind that, I am going off a tangent.

Now I shall catergorize my review in order to make sense for you the reader and mostly for me because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing (just joking)

Story

Iriya No Sora, is about love, relationships thrown in a sci-fi setting. However it still has a ‘real’ feel to it. If I am being vague, then I apologize, but this anime, though it includes alien technology is very down-to-earth compared to a “Love-hina” setting found in space a.k.a. “Vandread”. I do not do it justice by comparing the entire thing to the many anime that I have watched, but I have to say, rather though the art is ‘Maburaho’, it more has a feel like ‘Saikano’. The post-war era, especially in Japan is noticeable here which is least to say, realistic. However, it is not just the story that drives Iriya No Sora, but rather the characters and their relationships.

The characters are all likeable to an extent. I especially like Iriya, because she’s so cute, but other than that, the characters give life to this short anime, making the story much richer and enjoyable. I cannot deny that this is one of the good character-driven animes that I have seen for quite some time. I believe that if I was able to read the novel I would be far better off, understand the character’s backgrounds, their relationships even their conversations, better than what the anime conveys, however, it was more than satisfactory, it was really well done and certain empathy can be felt, showing its effectiveness.

Rating: 4.0/5

Animation:

The animation, least to say is very good. Unlike some anime that I have seen, the backgrounds, the characters are brilliant for an anime which does not rely on futuristic settings and crazily good concept art that would make me want to cry. It is very clean, crisp like a white shirt, with all the little details that make it seem wore by the Royal Family or something. Given that it is six eps, then you would expect this kind of quality, and it meets it well. Other than the quality, the techniques which this anime uses is directed in your eyes are often taken in a very ‘film-like’ approach, despite the strangeness and the awkward moments that arise during the episodes, let alone in anime. You’ll see the stereotypical scenes and backgrounds, but it’s done in a way that feels unique and has not been attempted in anime for sometime, maintaining more than a waning interest compared to some things I have seen.

Rating: 4.0 / 5

Sound:

Music is often critical in media, but Iriya No Sora, requires little of it, thus one can say that is a good thing as the emotions that the characters endure in it are more heartfelt in the viewer, rather than using the music as an extra boost to heighten the auditory senses and reach a state of empathy. Some music is used, though in Iriya No Sora, you don’t really notice it at all. It is drowned by the white noise, the sound effects and the “real” feel that this anime attempts to suggest. Music and anime often need to go hand in hand, but you can have a bad anime with good music and vice versa. The OP is good as well as the ED.

Voice:

The voice acting is superb. That’s all I have to say. If you can feel for the characters, feel that they could exist, then that’s all I have to say

Rating: 4.5/5

Closing thoughts:

Iriya No Sora has to be one of the most enjoyable, heart warming, heart wrenching OVAs that I have seen. It is rather a new approach to anime all in all and it maintains a strong storyline and plot through the development of the characters and their critical relationships. If you want something short, bring you back to Earth through a good sit down of anime, then this is one of the best one’s that you’ll see.

Total: 83% anime goodness
lambchopsil
Posted: Aug 20 2005, 09:49 PM

The Book Alchemist, Proofreader of Eagerness

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 3,557

You didn't give a rating for sound.

Nice review by the way. Nice, detailed, and long (with is good to me.)

This is technically an OAV.

For more info:

ANN link
Offiicial Site
Wavehawk
Posted: Aug 28 2005, 01:35 AM

All Decade's Fault

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

I hope to see this sometime, you know?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Recommendations/Reviews | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1026 seconds | Archive