Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

lambchopsil
Posted: Jan 15 2007, 12:38 PM

The Book Alchemist, Proofreader of Eagerness

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 3,557

Well, if you read my notes for the test, it stated that a real chapter has A LOT less mistakes than that test. Just get through it and you'll probably never have to see something THAT bad ever again.
boogerboy
Posted: Jan 18 2007, 06:45 AM

Do Tonberries really weigh a ton?

Member No.: 6,232

i wanna take the test, lamb. is that the one on page 1 of this thread? 'kay, ill try answering that.
andrewshen123
Posted: Feb 18 2007, 07:37 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,576

My lurking days are finally over! I'll be taking the test now...

Well, if you read my notes for the test, it stated that a real chapter has A LOT less mistakes than that test. Just get through it and you'll probably never have to see something THAT bad ever again.

Just from this post I can see that you guys need proofreaders. (No offense though tongue.gif)

1. "Less" is the word used when the quantity of the noun or noun phrase following it can not be measured with a concrete number, such as when referring to feelings. In cases where a concrete number can be used, the word "fewer" is used.
  2. "...read my notes for the test, it stated..." seems to change the plural noun "notes" to the singular pronoun "it".
  3. The beginning of the first sentence is also wrong and should be "Well, if you had read my notes..." The reason for this is in an SAT book I own... I'll go find it now.
  4. Edit: Ah found it, and a new error that's kind of connected with the previous one. So that's the fourth error in the first sentence alone: "...if you read my notes for the test, it stated that a real chapter..." is incorrect because of the word "if". The sentence now implies that if chakurakid15 had not read the notes, they would have not said this. So this sentence should be "...if you read my notes for the test, you would know that it stated that a real chapter...". Then, to make the syntax balanced, the previous fix would have been made.
  5. This is the last mistake I could find... and amazingly, it's also in the first sentence. This error is in the word "stated", and its being in the past tense. Just because we read it doesn't mean that it changed afterwards, so this should just be "states".

So the corrected sentence would be:

"Well, if you had read my notes for the test, you would know that it states that a real chapter has A LOT fewer mistakes than that test."

Hmm... to me the word "lot" seems off for some reason, and my instincts are rarely ever wrong. I'll look into that. It would probably be safest to change that into "many", in any case.

I'm up to page 16 on the test! This is fun. (seriously)

Edit: By the way, do you want just the corrections for the errors, or the reason why they are incorrect as well?
Sakurazaki_Emiri
Posted: Jun 2 2007, 10:20 PM

In desperate need of Girlfriend!

Member No.: 6,945

well, i know i'm new to this forum and all, but i'd really like it if i could help out in some way.
since i'm not amazing with photoshop i can't really edit...
since i'm not fluent in Japanese i can't really translate...
This said, i do have quite alot of time after school, and the summer holidays are coming up, so i thought i could become a proofreader.
I have an english literature scholarship, if that qualifies as being good at correcting mistakes.
By the way, how should i get the test results back to the AQS team?
~Emiri
athos
Posted: Jun 2 2007, 11:08 PM

fap fap fap

Member No.: 195

I suggest you send your answers to both lambchopsil and meganeshounen via PM. Hopefully lamb's still around to check them. If not, megane'll have to do it~ tongue.gif
Sakurazaki_Emiri
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 01:32 AM

I wasnt completely sure now to correct it, so i put corrections in red typing. like if it was an empty speech bubble, i put "Empty speech bubble alert', and where punctuation is needed i put 'Needs punctuation at end of bubble' or 'missing comma here'. i also re- wrote the bubbles where there was bad grammar. is that okay?
not to seem stupid or anything, but how do i attach a folder to a PM?
~Emiri
athos
Posted: Jun 3 2007, 02:10 PM

fap fap fap

Member No.: 195

Compress it into a .rar or .zip file, then upload it onto megaupload or something. Include the link in the PM. Any method of pointing out the errors is fine. Hopefully lamb and megane will understand it.
Sakurazaki_Emiri
Posted: Jun 5 2007, 05:02 AM

okay, it's been sent to lampchopsil via email smile.gif
i hope i did okay...
*dies from mounting tension*
~Emiri
Invader G'rr
Posted: Jun 5 2007, 04:32 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

Group: Moderator Team
Member No.: 269

QUOTE (andrewshen123 @ Feb 18 2007, 07:37 PM)
So the corrected sentence would be:

"Well, if you had read my notes for the test, you would know that it states that a real chapter has A LOT fewer mistakes than that test."

Hmm... to me the word "lot" seems off for some reason, and my instincts are rarely ever wrong. I'll look into that. It would probably be safest to change that into "many", in any case.
It IS off because they're contradicting each other. If the real chapter has "fewer" mistakes, then it wouldn't be "LOT", would it now? wink.gif
fenyxofshadows
Posted: May 20 2010, 02:46 PM

That one Yue fan...

Member No.: 10,941

Okay... I'd like to join...

I can't use PhotoShop at all, and I don't know Japanese, so I figured that this would be the best place...

Could you send an PM with the test?
conman
Posted: May 24 2010, 03:39 AM

Ruu \o/

Member No.: 7,163

QUOTE (fenyxofshadows @ May 21 2010, 05:46 AM)

I can't use PhotoShop at all, and I don't know Japanese, so I figured that this would be the best place...

Thank you very much for your offer, but unfortunately proofreading is oversubscribed and we really can't take any more people in this area at the moment.
Yarn
Posted: May 25 2010, 10:26 PM

well, this is awkward isn't it

Member No.: 10,878

QUOTE (fenyxofshadows @ May 20 2010, 02:46 PM)

http://www.unblessed.net/guide/main.html

google, a gift from the great and holy FSM

btw cman, i might be on a bit more soon...
GeekAtLifeMeter
Posted: Jul 5 2010, 05:03 PM

Member No.: 11,059

Hey, I'm very aware that this is the wrong topic, but this is the only sing-up one I could find. Need a translator for Negima? I can do Latin easily, and it shouldn't be too hard to learn Japanese. If you don't, I'm willing to help out with Negima in whatever way you need; I'd just prefer translation.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Proofreaders Section | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1676 seconds | Archive